Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 02-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #41
AndreiT
Human being with feelings

Really like the dark mode.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #42
semiquaver

<< subscribe! >>
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #43
sightlessness

Subbed too, dark mode is awesome.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #44
woodslanding

Pre-release version, please?

I'd consider most of the themes out there unfinished, but there's a big difference between unfinished and unusable.... you might find the responses from users inspiring. And even if you give up entirely, others might be able to pick up where you left off.

Please put it out there before you get tired of working on it! It's so lovely!
woodslanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #45
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding View Post
Pre-release version, please?

I'd consider most of the themes out there unfinished, but there's a big difference between unfinished and unusable.... you might find the responses from users inspiring. And even if you give up entirely, others might be able to pick up where you left off.

Please put it out there before you get tired of working on it! It's so lovely!
Hi, thank you very much, and sorry for the late answer!
- don’t worry, I’m still planning to finish the theme and to put out a basic version for others to test, it’s just a matter of finding the time to do it, you know

I hope you like the look of the mixer I'll post in a moment, that section has been a rather complex task. /f

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightlessness View Post
Subbed too, dark mode is awesome.
cheers!

Old 03-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #46
PhelixK

I've been working a lot on the mixer this past week. There are some small graphic glitches here and there, some of them also found in the default version, but I'll continue to investigate if they can be ironed out. Otherwise, things are moving in the direction I want to go with the theme.

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-01-2020 at 05:00 PM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #47
Miser

On another level here for sure.
Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #48
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post

I've been working a lot on the mixer this past week. There are some small graphic glitches here and there, some of them also found in the default version, but I'll continue to investigate if they can be ironed out. Otherwise, things are moving in the direction I want to go with the theme.

Looks great!
Old 03-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #49
RSethT

Loving the look of this, can't wait to try it out!

Subscribed.
RSethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #50
blumpy

Looks great
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:52 PM   #51
jbraner

This looks really nice!
Subscribed.
I'll defo give this a try when it's ready

I don't usually bother looking at new themes (quite happy with my modified Commala) but this one looks interesting.
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #52
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
Looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSethT View Post
Loving the look of this, can't wait to try it out!

Subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
Looks great
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
This looks really nice!
Subscribed.
I'll defo give this a try when it's ready

I don't usually bother looking at new themes (quite happy with my modified Commala) but this one looks interesting.
Hi thanks for your interest and positive comments!
I still have no idea when the theme is ready to be served, but things are moving forward - like 'slow food', hopefully not overcooked, ha ha!

Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #53
PhelixK

- still working on the mixer area, redesigned a lot of stuff regarding automation / parameter / sends. Also introduced some new symbols, knob stacks and carefully selected overlays to ensure visual orientation regardless of background color and without the whole area getting too cluttered.

Until now I haven't really been a big fan of using Borders and Sidebar available with the extended mixer in V6, but after working on this section, playing around with colors, taming down elements, etc., I suddenly experience that it is a nice and practical UI feature. I definitely have a feeling I’ll be using it more now.

Finally, today I did a pretty crazy global change of colors, just to see what a brighter version of Concept-Six would look like. A total of 269 png files written, and boom, here is my favorite of the week!

I will continue to work on the dark theme, but a brighter version like this one will probably also be available, maybe as part of a Premium bundle.

Next up: the Transport bar (which I NEVER use myself ... but that can change too, lol!)

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-08-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #54
Jerok

Love the look on this one.. great job.
would be great to see some love put into the transporter aswell.. Center aligned would be so sweet.
Jerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #55
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
Love the look on this one.. great job.
would be great to see some love put into the transporter aswell.. Center aligned would be so sweet.
Yes, if I use the transport, I also have it set to centered. And, of course there is a practical need for the transport bar, especially to adjust global play rate and for validating external time code.

I always have the Big Clock permanently placed in the upper corner of Reaper, and the info bar (under track controls) can also be set to show selection and more. However, to manage the play head, it is much more efficient to use the keyboard or for that matter an external device.

On another note, recently I re-discovered my old turntable (it has been stored away for 15 years or so), not an expensive device, but look, real backlit buttons with real text, I like that!

Last edited by PhelixK; 02-12-2023 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #56
Jerok

That’s cool.

I love a theme that gives the transporter some visuals, I look at the studio one transport section. Just iooks so sweet.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #57
PhelixK

ok, here is my idea for the transport bar and section. Maybe a little old-school look & feel on the buttons, but goes hand in hand with the concept of this theme, where state and conditions are written in plain text many places.

I've changed the order of the buttons, in such a way that it feels natural and intuitive to me (I'm sure we all have different preferences in that regard). Also there's an advantage by having the cursor navigation to the right. It is revealed when the transport controls are displayed in the smallest size, or when docked in small areas. Note how these buttons can now be neatly hidden if desired.

The counter and status/sync uses the same slim typeface (Roboto Condensed) as specified for generic text. Again, this allows for little more information on same space, and gives the overall user interface, and the person using it, a chance to breathe - hey, maybe "Exhale-Six" is a better title for this theme ツ

In the example, the status counter is blue in the gif, but light gray in the screenshot as I try to decide how much it should stick out. I think the blue color is good, but I'll probably tone it down a bit.

A thought about icons versus text buttons,
My favorite toolbar for working with arrangements include around 50 icons. Over the years the number has only grown. They are cherry picked, and help me perform complex tasks more efficiently in Reaper. But sometimes I find myself searching around too long, maybe because all those icons requires the brain to constantly translate pictures into words and meaning. Recently, I've found that three-letter buttons can often be better and faster for me. Or maybe it's just that I've made some variation that the brain finds pleasing. It's interesting.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #58
kaylec

Love the look of this and where it is going. The buttons remind me of my old Sony deck, back when Sony lead the design of such things. They were top of the class for readability and classy looks.

Very excited to try this out. Getting close to ship date?
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #59
Jerok

Dude that Transporter is awsome, maybe have a narrow version of it aswell?
u plan to ad some sort of seperator layouts for TCP and MCP.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #60
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylec View Post
Love the look of this and where it is going. The buttons remind me of my old Sony deck, back when Sony lead the design of such things. They were top of the class for readability and classy looks.

Very excited to try this out. Getting close to ship date?
Thanks, yes definitely SONY after the period of using brushed steel!

– perhaps I got carried away a little with those buttons. I don’t want the interface to look particular old school’ish. On the other hand, if only the faders and control buttons have a little artistic feel, it might add a touch of soul and personality to the UI. I’ll consider this further.

Still need to do the entire MiDi section, Media Explorer and few other things. After that an extensive cross platform adjustment, and pre test.

Quote:
Dude that Transporter is awsome, maybe have a narrow version of it aswell?
u plan to ad some sort of seperator layouts for TCP and MCP.
thanks man, I might adjust it a bit though! The V6 Theme Adjuster allow for resizing the transport if the scaled graphics are present. I might do that for the transport before other parts.

Only big problem as I see it, is that the script also scales the regular text, it becomes hardly readable and of no real practical use, except the buttons of course. There might be a way to change that in the script, I dunno.

Already made simple and narrow dividers for both track and mixer, plain background colored, no title feature etc.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:27 AM   #61
Jerok

Awsome dude,
Can’t wait to get my hand on this one,
Keep up the amazing work
/J
Old 03-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #62
kaylec

Quote:
Thanks, yes definitely SONY after the period of using brushed steel!

– perhaps I got carried away a little with those buttons.
Not to my eye - I love the buttons as you've shown them.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #63
PhelixK

Quote:
Not to my eye - I love the buttons as you've shown them.
Okay cool thx) I did some small adjustments on it, and consider it done now.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:46 AM   #64
PhelixK

-

Some minor adjustments on the transporter, and toned down a little, plus a light edition for other purposes. Also exported all three set of scalings, in total 100 graphics @1x, 1.5x and 2x, and surprisingly it works right out of the box.

Also new Scrollbars, though I would have omitted those, since currently they can only be displayed in low resolution, but it’s ok for now I think. This bug in the UI has already been reported more than once.

** I’m in doubt, is it ok to use the word ‘REPLAY’ for that button instead of ‘REPEAT’ -is it misleading or perhaps old fashioned ?? (English is not my native language).

Old 03-14-2020, 05:01 AM   #65
kaylec

I kind of like Replay, as it is a bit different, but still tells you what it does. My guess is though more people would prefer repeat, as it is kind of the standard term. I think it comes down to personal preference
Old 03-14-2020, 05:08 AM   #66
Jerok

the numers seams to get lost abit.

I think you should try implamenting something to make it darker without loosing the touch making it look out of place

i think Studio One realy executed this verry nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transporter.jpg (20.9 KB, 405 views)
Old 03-14-2020, 05:34 AM   #67
PhelixK

Quote:
the numers seams to get lost abit.

I think you should try implamenting something to make it darker without loosing the touch making it look out of place

i think Studio One realy executed this verry nice.
Yes thanks, I agree about the transport/status/info bar in Studio One, in fact, the entire interface is a great piece of work, and also one of the reasons I got into S1 some time ago. I had special interest in the projects section, and at the time I bought S1v3x, I was expecting to see more features and flexibility there, unfortunately that haven’t happened. As for the transport buttons, I think they work well in that context.

In Reaper I would love to have all that information gathered in one place, but as you know, they’re spread throughout the entire interface.

– Other than that, the possibilities of changing layout in the transport bar in V6, is very limited. At least to me it is, as I’m not able to entirely rewrite the Walter code.

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-14-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #68
Jerok

I get you, not every daw works the same,
I tested S1 and the GUI is nize but even though it had potentials i did not find it fun, and i owned cubase so did not se a reason to go there.
then i started messing more with Reaper and found i loved the way it just listend to me..

But
i think you could maybe use the Grafik idea, look how the edges are brighter while the actual transporter is darker in the S1 making it look more like its own secton of the DAW and then move things like you feel works best.

what things can be added to the transporter. Punch in punch out?
is it possible to add funktions like comping, markers.
This would help the transporter be more viable to your already awsome GUI mods.
and making some grafikal visuals to make it pop out being alive would just make it sweet.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #69
kaylec

Quote:
the numers seams to get lost abit..
Hmmm, sorry, but I disagree with you. I like the subtly of the numbers myself. I do like the S1 transport look too, but I’m a bit partial to what you have here.

Last edited by kaylec; 03-14-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #70
PhelixK

Quote:
I get you, not every daw works the same,
I tested S1 and the GUI is nize but even though it had potentials i did not find it fun, and i owned cubase so did not se a reason to go there.
then i started messing more with Reaper and found i loved the way it just listend to me..

But
i think you could maybe use the Grafik idea, look how the edges are brighter while the actual transporter is darker in the S1 making it look more like its own secton of the DAW and then move things like you feel works best.

what things can be added to the transporter. Punch in punch out?
is it possible to add funktions like comping, markers.
This would help the transporter be more viable to your already awsome GUI mods.
and making some grafikal visuals to make it pop out being alive would just make it sweet.
To my knowledge nothing more can be added to the transport section, and the criteria for v6 is different than earlier versions. To reveal the punch in/out options, try use the context menu on the control buttons, it's already there. Perhaps also try using the scale function with the default 6 theme, to observe that some text and elements are cropped/missing as well.

And thank you for suggestions. I'm of course listening, and I'll seriously evaluate alternatives if I think there's a better and more correct solution to anything. I could easily throw in plain flat buttons or anything main stream looking, or make them stand out much more. And I will do so, but only if I feel it will improve the experience working with this theme. I'm just not there, yet, ha-ha

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-14-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #71
Jerok

oh you are there PhelixK you just dont know it yet =)
Seeing what you done so far is awsome, the theme is yours and im loving what i see so far.
if you need any views on something just leme know.

//J
Old 03-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #72
todoublez

Quote:
small detail on new folder icons and unfolding:

I like the way u design.
ur not only did a perfect graphic but also did a great job at user's side !
A straight forward UI !
cant wait to play with this theme !
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #73
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
I like the way u design.
ur not only did a perfect graphic but also did a great job at user's side !
A straight forward UI !
cant wait to play with this theme !
Hi, I'm glad that you and others will hopefully notice some of these details, and maybe later provide feedback on the usability. And if no one notice anything particular at all, then the goal is indeed reached! Either way, this is just an alternate skin, perhaps with a bit of psychology in mind

Old 03-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #74
jbraner

Personally, I think the color bar is OK on the LH side, and it sounds like it would make life simpler for everyone
- just my £0.02 (worth about $0.03)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #75
PhelixK

Quote:
Personally, I think the color bar is OK on the LH side, and it sounds like it would make life simpler for everyone
Hey, you know what,
those 0.02 pound of yours might actually be worth a million to me,

After what you wrote, I went back to the script and did something sporadic, a thing I haven’t tried before, and guess what, now it seems to work without the hack!

Anyway, I’ll have to check further and adjust some of the graphics, but it looks promising.

If it turns out good, I'll delete most of the post from before, except for the last part.
Have a great sunday!

Old 03-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #76
kaylec

I read you long message before your edit - and in a nutshell, i don’t mind doing a bit extra to install a theme that is going to work. And I too, don’t mind the color bar on the left - but glad you were able to figure things out. Hopefully it makes life a bit easier for you to code.

Cheers - if you would like another set of eyes not things - happy to beta test the theme as well.

Kayle
Old 03-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #77
PhelixK

Quote:
I read you long message before your edit - and in a nutshell, i don’t mind doing a bit extra to install a theme that is going to work. And I too, don’t mind the color bar on the left - but glad you were able to figure things out. Hopefully it makes life a bit easier for you to code.

Cheers - if you would like another set of eyes not things - happy to beta test the theme as well.

Kayle
Thank you Kayle, for the support,
haha, – big drama here, but actually appears to be solved now. And yes I'll definitely need fresh eyes on this at a later point. I'll make a note that you would like to participate.
What system are you using on mac?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #78
kaylec

Quote:
Thank you Kayle, for the support,
haha, – big drama here, but actually appears to be solved now. And yes I'll definitely need fresh eyes on this at a later point. I'll make a note that you would like to participate.
What system are you using on mac?
I have a MacPro running High Sierra. I also worked in graphic design in a former life, so I have some knowledge there as well. Happy to help out any way I can.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #79
jbraner

Quote:
Sweet!
Old 03-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #80
jeck

Really interested in being a part of the beta testing for this theme if there is room available. It all looks so clean and right down my alley. Excellent work!!
jeck is offline   Reply With Quote