Old 11-26-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
Pjano69
Human being with feelings

Default Sampling external instruments

Hi! I am new to Reaper but I want to use it as my second DAW, mostly for audio editing stuff possibilities that I have not seen in any other DAW that I have ever used.. I have a vintage electric organ that I would like to sample. Obviously, it does not have any midi so basically everything has to been done manually. Well, not everything because I watched some of Dave Hillowitz tutorials on YT where he mentions some great scripts for Reaper (X-Raym) that make the process much easier. However, is there a way to have a script that tells me how long I should hold a sustained note based on a preset value? Let’s say I want to record each key for 20 seconds. Now, there is a Max standalone device by Tom Cosm where You can do just that, but unfortunately it is crashing in newer versions of Mac. Simply speaking it’s like an automated timer that tells You 1. Record note. 2. stop record after a specified time value. I know I can do that with a timer on my phone but that is not so convenient. Any ideas how I could set that up in Reaper? Thank You very much
Piotr
Pjano69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:03 AM   #2
DarkStar

To generate the MIDI notes, have a look at this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=157398

Old 11-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
Pjano69

Thank You. If its would be a midi equipped instrument it would be easy as You described but as I mentioned in my question this is a vintage electric piano/organ and fot that reason does not have Midi capabilities.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
The Kid

Just use a custom metronome and play the thing. You can split the files after the fact.

Last edited by The Kid; 11-26-2021 at 07:08 AM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Bribedant

Are you planning to loop the individual notes? A stable organ sound is a good candidate to do just that. Different note lenght can be a good thing working with looped samples.
Bribedant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjano69 View Post
Thank You. If its would be a midi equipped instrument it would be easy as You described but as I mentioned in my question this is a vintage electric piano/organ and fot that reason does not have Midi capabilities.
Oops
Old 11-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
Pjano69

Thanks anyone who found the time to give me some tips. I am clearly overthinking this I find the idea of using a metronome brilliant and simple. I didn't think about that ).
Old 11-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
Pjano69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Oops
No worries! I will be also sampling some midi synths so that info will also be helpful to me as I am just grasping Reapers potential.
Thank You!
Piotr
Old 11-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
The Kid

You can try, for starters, sampling just the notes C and F#, across the octaves, and have ReaSamplOmatic5000 stretch the notes to fill the gaps. I've made some organs from an old Korg just like that. Organ sounds don't suffer much from changing the pitch.
That way you can try stuff without burning yourself out. Then if you like it you can sample all the notes.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote