Old 11-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
Derrick
Human being with feelings

Default Automate turning on/off effects?

Not sure if automation is the best way to do this, but I want to turn on a plug in effect (an EQ) on a vocal track for the choruses of a song, then back off. There are other plugins I on the same vocal track I don't want to tun on/off. How is the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

You have several options. One is to add a bypass envelope to the EQ and enable it only for those sections where you do not want the EQ applied.

A more subtle approach would be to instead add a Wet (wet/dry mix) envelope for the EQ an dial it up to 100 at the start of each chorus and down to 0 at the end of each chorus. This makes the change less abrupt.

Others will no doubt contribute other ideas ...
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Derrick

Thank you for the reply. To help me determine which of these two options to go with, can you please explain what you mean by a "more subtle approach"? What is the difference in doing it one way vs the other you mention?

Thank you!
Old 11-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Gibson_GM

"easing in" the wet with an envelope can be done gradually (relatively speaking, you're probably doing it in 1/2 second) than 'turning effect on/off'. The 'on/off' is abrupt. Simulating 'turning the wet control' isn't...even over that short time period, the ear perceives adjusting wet as 'smoother' and more natural. Experiment with both!
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
Derrick

Alright, that makes sense. I actually want abrupt on/off in this case. Most tutorials focus on making movements withing the parameters of a plugin, but after watching a lot of videos, I finally was able to figure out how to do this.

How about the mute button on a track or group of tracks? Say I want to mute a small portion of some tracks in the middle of a song...
Old 11-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
TonE

Same, add a helper jsfx, vol_pan, volume adjustment, map to some knob. Automate, for muting pull it down to minimum. Same for midi, add velocity jsfx, automate max_velocity to 0 for muting midi notes. Have fun.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:15 AM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Same, add a helper jsfx, vol_pan, volume adjustment, map to some knob. Automate, for muting pull it down to minimum. Same for midi, add velocity jsfx, automate max_velocity to 0 for muting midi notes. Have fun.
in case any MIDI beginners are reading, i wouldn't recommend automating velocity when you want volume changes - although they are often linked, they aren't always, so it's probably better to automate the volume if you want volume changes.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:59 AM   #8
bFooz

Using bypass envelope often causes audible clicks, use Wet envelope.

It has also an advantage visually - wet envelop up and colored == engaged, wet envelope down and discolored == disengaged. The bypass envelope has it the other way which I found to be confusing.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #9
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
in case any MIDI beginners are reading, i wouldn't recommend automating velocity when you want volume changes - although they are often linked, they aren't always, so it's probably better to automate the volume if you want volume changes.
Yeah, I wrote for muting. Anyone can try if it helps. I am using it all the time. If you do not have any desire of "pure midi muting" you do not need this. If yes, now you have a way for Reaper and any other DAW. It is a universal technique. Midi map a momentary button to this max_velocity.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Using bypass envelope often causes audible clicks, use Wet envelope.

It has also an advantage visually — wet envelope up and colored == engaged, wet envelope down and discolored == disengaged. The bypass envelope has it the other way, which I found to be confusing.
All together, there are three techniques:
- bypass parameter of any fx (use this for crazy short time momentary fx)
- wet parameter of any fx
- internal bypass parameter of any jsfx, if available. (Example: boreg's switchable_MIDI_transpose has an internal bypass parameter, taking care of not having any hanging notes during this operation.) I am using this for live octave transpositions, having 4 variants of this jsfx with octave settings: +1, +2, -1, -2.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
domzy

Quote:
Yeah, I wrote for muting. Anyone can try if it helps. I am using it all the time. If you do not have any desire of "pure midi muting" you do not need this. If yes, now you have a way for Reaper and any other DAW. It is a universal technique. Midi map a momentary button to this max_velocity.
still worth pointing out that velocity & volume aren't the same thing - what you describe only works if velocity is controlling volume, which is not always the case, and even when it is it's only gonna affect note ons.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #12
TonE

I am not writing of volume control (for midi). For this, use cc7, if your target supports it. This is not the topic here. I mentioned it for muting midi notes. I did not write anywhere I want to control volume using velocity, as you wrote. I hope it is clear now.

In short, in practice for muting I am using two techniques:
- Muting audio: js_vol_pan and pull down adjustment parameter.
- Muting midi: MIDI Velocity Control and pull down max velocity to 0.

Both, if you want to do these mutes as part of a live performance. Not static mixing stuff. Thus, if you want to create automations with all those real-time changes, this would be one way of doing it.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:22 AM   #13
bFooz

Quote:
All together, there are three techniques:
- bypass parameter of any fx (use this for crazy short time momentary fx)
- wet parameter of any fx
- internal bypass parameter of any jsfx, if available. (Example: boreg's switchable_MIDI_transpose has an internal bypass parameter, taking care of not having any hanging notes during this operation.) I am using this for live octave transpositions, having 4 variants of this jsfx with octave settings: +1, +2, -1, -2.
Also many VSTs have internal bypass within themselves. But then I think most do not.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote