Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
cyberman45
Human being with feelings

Default how to get project template to load on Reaper startup

I'm a Reaper newbie... and have much to learn... but I have created a simple "project template" for voice over work. The first time I did "save template as"... Reaper put it in the roaming, etc... folder. Then I also created a location which is "this pc > Reaper > templates > default template> Tom VO 1. When I launch Reaper the splash screen does all the loading stuff and then up comes a dialogue box which lists a raft of project options... including both template paths etc... and I have to choose Tom Vo 1 each time. I also went to preferences and entered the path to my vo template thinking it would just automatically load at the end of the Reaper startup process but no joy. Is there a way to force Reaper to do this? Many thanks for any help.
cyberman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
RobertP

I believe that there is a default (ie NEW) project template path in preferences -> Project

If you put together a template you want for all new projects you will have to save it as 'the' default project template, regardless of what you name it as, in the path designated for it in preferences - you can actually put it where you prefer on your pc as long the path is in the preferences project default.

Then, in Preferences -> General, Startup settings, open project on startup, choose what you want in the drop down menu. For you I guess that would be 'NEW'. Personally I always go for 'Last active project' then go for New Project in the File menu.

I assume that as you progress with a project you save it with a project name, not the project default template name.

I use a portable version of reaper so do not have the option in the start menu (windows?) although I know there are ways to work around this.

Excellent vid: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#pMEcHXOsi1w that explains far better than me.Starts at about 4:17 but very worth watching the whole thing.

Sorry if I am going over stuff you already know but...

Last edited by RobertP; 11-19-2021 at 02:38 PM.
RobertP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
cyberman45

Default template info

Hey Robert P.. thanks for the template tips and the tutorial link. I've watched quite a few of Kenny G's tuts... VERY helpful. Will follow the steps you and Kenny provided and hopefully I'll there shortly. Best regards!!
cyberman45 is offline   Reply With Quote