Old 11-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Headphone correction

I'm currently using both dSoniq and Sierra Free alternately. I'm finding that percussive details aren't translating.

It's tougher to find the punch of kick and snare than on my monitors. The full EQ spectrum is audible, but the drum hits fizzle. I really like the tight, dry, tea towel sound. It's surprisingly difficult to dial in.

Anyone else finding their drum hits are softened by these headphone correction things?
Old 11-06-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I'm currently using both dSoniq and Sierra Free alternately. I'm finding that percussive details aren't translating.

It's tougher to find the punch of kick and snare than on my monitors. The full EQ spectrum is audible, but the drum hits fizzle. I really like the tight, dry, tea towel sound. It's surprisingly difficult to dial in.

Anyone else finding their drum hits are softened by these headphone correction things?
Hi Kirk do you know exactly what the corrections are for each headphone?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Kirk do you know exactly what the corrections are for each headphone?
Good question. Here's a video showing all the different correction profiles for dSoniq Realphones: headphone correction, room ambience, and speaker models.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v1sgy08il...40-57.mkv?dl=0
Old 11-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
beingmf

How do your headphones sound without correction? Are transients perceivable more clearly? What about a mere HRTF process (which I found worked best for me)?
Old 11-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
LCipher

try this? https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReHead/
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Good question. Here's a video showing all the different correction profiles for dSoniq Realphones: headphone correction, room ambience, and speaker models.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v1sgy08il...40-57.mkv?dl=0
What I'm wondering Kirk is, how is any software going to help you if it can't analyze your headphones first? Other wise it's all just a guess, hit and miss?

I think you would be better off takeing song's you know real well, then use a ReaEQs in the "Monitor FX" to adjust until they sound good to you. At least you would have a starting point.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
What I'm wondering Kirk is, how is any software going to help you if it can't analyze your headphones first? Other wise it's all just a guess, hit and miss?
It's a fair concern. Some like Sonarworks (as far as I know) measure multiple sets of a headphone model then create a base/average curve for that model. That said, the Sonwarworks builtin profile for my headphones don't seem to be that great but I'd have to test more to be sure.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
vsgrt

A lot of these things overprocess needlessly, which will hurt the sound. Many of the EQ curves used in correction software are also not carefully created for fidelity on a case-by-case basis but rather just about literally countering peaks in the spectrum measurements for each can, which isn't necessarily a predictable or meaningful solution imo. I stopped using correction EQ for this reason.

My final solution ended up being "Goodhertz Canopener" (commercial) which is just crossfeed more or less. I also use "Airwindows Monitor" (free) with the Cans B preset. The former sounds much better, but i find the latter more revealing and easier to mix on. Both are fairly minimalist in terms of processing applied and don't mess with the sound.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #9
kirk1701

Quote:

I think you would be better off takeing song's you know real well, then use a ReaEQs in the "Monitor FX" to adjust until they sound good to you. At least you would have a starting point.
The dSoniq system comes with a correction profile for my cans (Samson SR850). It does work well. I use it only in the Monitor FX.

I think the default settings for the crosstalk, room ambience, and speaker modeling are way too high. I backed them all off and managed to find a nice balance.

So I guess my results/advice would be try not to let these tools get too peaky/saturated/distorted. It can mess with your perception.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
The dSoniq system comes with a correction profile for my cans (Samson SR850). It does work well. I use it only in the Monitor FX.
Aah okay, understand. So their settings are general for that particular brand and model.

Quote:
I think the default settings for the crosstalk, room ambience, and speaker modeling are way too high. I backed them all off and managed to find a nice balance.
I'm not sure what they consider crosstalk is, maybe somewhat combining the left and right signals.

And it looks like they're adding some kind of semblance of room ambience, it would be interesting to know how and what they base that on, that along with the speaker modeling.

Really and truly Kirk, if you find some songs that you know sound good, either from listening to them on various systems, or just general knowledge, and then EQ them with the monitor FX so that they sound the best they can on your earphones, that will give you a better listening advantage, at least I think it will.

I use ReaEQ because I think it's very accurate, plus you can have as many bands as you want. I"ve got a default ReaEQ that has 10 bands and each band has a bandwidth of .28 octaves except band 1 & 10, Band 1 is a Low Shelf and band 10 is a high shelf. That way you start off with a small BW and can expand it as needed.

You might ask "why such small bandwidths"? If you use Span and put the "Smoothing" into 1/6th octave, you should be able to see how the the short BW can help. Also, I think it's easier and better to start with a short BW and widen it as necessary instead of the other way around.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's a fair concern. Some like Sonarworks (as far as I know) measure multiple sets of a headphone model then create a base/average curve for that model. That said, the Sonwarworks builtin profile for my headphones don't seem to be that great but I'd have to test more to be sure.
I've wondered about that Karbo, so they do sell curves based on tests for various models, besides actually selling the earphones that have been set up and tested individually.

Quote:
That said, the Sonwarworks builtin profile for my headphones don't seem to be that great but I'd have to test more to be sure.
How do you approach this Karbo, Do you sit and listen to your favorite songs, or do you just use them off and on while mixing and mastering?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
How do you approach this Karbo, Do you sit and listen to your favorite songs, or do you just use them off and on while mixing and mastering?
I rarely use headphones for mixing. I might pop them on now and then when mixing but their main use is for tracking.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:36 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I rarely use headphones for mixing. I might pop them on now and then when mixing but their main use is for tracking.
Yeah, me too, all I've got is some el-cheapo headphones that sound plenty good for that.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #14
kirk1701

Quote:

Really and truly Kirk, if you find some songs that you know sound good, either from listening to them on various systems, or just general knowledge, and then EQ them with the monitor FX so that they sound the best they can on your earphones, that will give you a better listening advantage, at least I think it will.

I use ReaEQ because I think it's very accurate, plus you can have as many bands as you want. I"ve got a default ReaEQ that has 10 bands and each band has a bandwidth of .28 octaves except band 1 & 10, Band 1 is a Low Shelf and band 10 is a high shelf. That way you start off with a small BW and can expand it as needed.

You might ask "why such small bandwidths"? If you use Span and put the "Smoothing" into 1/6th octave, you should be able to see how the the short BW can help. Also, I think it's easier and better to start with a short BW and widen it as necessary instead of the other way around.
Sure, I follow. I'm just not sure I understand what to boost or cut.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #15
Flaneurette

Quote:

I agree... ReaEq is really good.

I mainly use headphones when mixing. I do visual analysis and then do calculations on the frequencies to predict how it will sound on different systems, and EQ the stems according to these calculations. Then duplicate tracks and then EQ them for bigger systems, and bury a few stems to compensate for average systems. I think most of it can be calculated based upon the frequency spectrum, and adequate EQing rather than attentive listening.

Even "side-chain compression" or channel differentiation can be done with EQ and some summing calculations, and may even sound better due to less compression.

But that is my personal opinion.

Last edited by Flaneurette; 11-10-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
Sure, I follow. I'm just not sure I understand what to boost or cut.
That's where my "Mixing & Mastering with Profiles" would come in very handy for you Kirk. I especially recommend it for those who have less then a good room and monitor system. Also those using headphones. It takes much of the guessing out of it, and it's also great for learning how to EQ and to better undertand what you are hearing.

I think some of you have seen this, but here it is again, it should give you and idea of what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/9N824U57D-0