musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v6.21+dev0201 - February 1 2021

v6.21+dev0201 - February 1 2021
  • * Includes branch: ReaSurround2
  • * Includes branch: LV2
  • * Includes branch: razor editing
  • + MIDI export: improve accuracy when exporting gradual tempo changes
  • + ReaSurround2: add support for axis linking (forcing edits to a particular shape on the z-axis)
  • + VST: cache VST3 parameter information for improved performance with yabridge and plug-ins
  • # ReaSurround2: 7.1.2 overhead speakers are not affected by side % parameter
  • # ReaSurround2: manually entering parameter values affects all selected or linked inputs
  • # ReaSurround: override default speaker setup when inserting ReaSurround via action
  • # lv2: fix worker scheduling/re-entrancy issues
  • # lv2: improve rppxml state encoding of multi-line strings, simplify
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 02-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
srdmusic

Default Thank you DEVs!!!!

+ MIDI export: improve accuracy when exporting gradual tempo changes
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ VST: cache VST3 parameter information for improved performance with yabridge and plug-ins
Happy to see yabridge mentioned in a reaper changelog Guess this is a good chance to ask..

I was thinking about making a ReaPack package that sets up wine-bridging for Linux novices. Would be awesome if it wasn't necessary to mess with a terminal etc. to get a few Windows VSTs up and running.

Would it be feasible to add a callback script

__plugin_scan.lua similar to __startup.lua

that is executed before REAPERs plugin scanning process?

In my mind this is all it would take to make wine-bridges "feel" native in Linux REAPER. (Newly installed Windows plugins would be found on restart or after pressing F5 in the fx browser, and one could even add new wine paths and re-scan in REAPER VST Preferences)

In the attachment there is a simple example script. (It basically does what the utilites "yabridgectl sync" and "linvstconverttree" do). It reads the vst plug-in paths from the reaper.ini, then checks and if necessary replaces dll files in these paths for yabridge binaries (and vst3 with linvst).
Attached Files
File Type: lua __plugin_scan.lua (1.2 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
gxray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Happy to see yabridge mentioned in a reaper changelog Guess this is a good chance to ask..

I was thinking about making a ReaPack package that sets up wine-bridging for Linux novices. Would be awesome if it wasn't necessary to mess with a terminal etc. to get a few Windows VSTs up and running.

In my mind this is all it would take to make wine-bridges "feel" native in Linux REAPER. (Newly installed Windows plugins would be found on restart or after pressing F5 in the fx browser, and one could even add new wine paths and re-scan in REAPER VST Preferences)

In the attachment there is a simple example script. (It basically does what the utilites "yabridgectl sync" and "linvstconverttree" do). It reads the vst plug-in paths from the reaper.ini, then checks and if necessary replaces dll files in these paths for yabridge binaries (and vst3 with linvst).
Holy shit, this is a brilliant idea.

That would make the learning curve for picking up music production on Linux so easy. Could just drop Windows VST's in your directory and REAPER script would abstract all the work needed to bridge them and generate the ".so" wrappers.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
robbert-vdh

Quote:

Someone suggested something like that in the thread where I asked for people to test yabridge's VST3 support! Sounds like a cool idea, especially since it's unofficial. (so if things break no one will blame REAPER's devs, right?) One issue with that script though (and the reason that yabridgectl is not entirely trivial) is that it would leave around orphan .so files that look like VST2 plugins but that would not be able to load. Also for VST3 plugins the process is quite involved and involves creating a merged VST3 bundle in ~/.vst3, and yabridgectl has to do quite a few things behind the scenes to make that work. For LinVst3 it's a lot simpler of course because those are not actual VST3 plugins, but for real VST3 plugin bridging with yabridge things do become a bit more complicated.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
tgraph

I read these release notes and don't even have any idea what most of it is about or why anyone wants or needs these improvements...

I still just use Reaper as a mixing console.

tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:39 AM   #7
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
Sounds like a cool idea, especially since it's unofficial. (so if things break no one will blame REAPER's devs, right?)
Exactly, I don't think that any DAW would officially support a wine-bridge (for good reasons), the next best solution in REAPERland would be to have different bridging solutions available on ReaPack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
One issue with that script though (and the reason that yabridgectl is not entirely trivial) is that it would leave around orphan .so files that look like VST2 plugins but that would not be able to load.
I just wanted to add a simple example that works with multiple wine-bridges. Wrote it way before you added VST3 support In essence, all the script would have to do, is sync REAPERs plugin paths with yabridgectl and then call yabridgectl sync.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:49 AM   #8
robbert-vdh

Quote:
I just wanted to add a simple example that works with multiple wine-bridges. Wrote it way before you added VST3 support In essence, all the script would have to do, is sync REAPERs plugin paths with yabridgectl and then call yabridgectl sync.
Yeah that would be even easier actually! There's got to be some Lua library for working with TOML out there and then you can just replace the paths in ~/.config/yabridgectl/config.toml.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
# lv2: improve rppxml state encoding of multi-line strings, simplify
While you are looking at this on the Linux/LV2 side, would you perhaps be able to take a look at the VST side related to the below? It also causes abnormally long save times on Linux in addition to OSX/Windows.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=248660

Thanks and apologies if this is off-topic.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
While you are looking at this on the Linux/LV2 side, would you perhaps be able to take a look at the VST side related to the below? It also causes abnormally long save times on Linux in addition to OSX/Windows.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=248660

Thanks and apologies if this is off-topic.
Those plug-ins just probably have slow slow effGetChunk handlers. :/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:58 PM   #11
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Those plug-ins just probably have slow slow effGetChunk handlers. :/
Thanks, Justin. Do you think there might be a way to treat/flag a plugin offline when it actually isn't? Like perhaps in the FX Compatibility settings? In the case of the big offenders like Kontakt and UVI, never in a million years am I going to be editing the sample data - especially since it is usually encrypted. About the only thing I'd ever change on a loaded instrument is CC assignments and if I do that, I'm saving the instrument anyway.

That would cut save and read times way down and also give the user a choice of which specific plugins they want to flag. And in the extremely rare case something did need to be edited, the user could un-flag the plugin, make changes and then re-flag.

Perhaps something like that is possible?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
bolgwrad

Default Mouseover Z-layer OK

Merci beacoup, the mouseover tips Z-layer on the mixer panel is now A-OK.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #13
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post

Perhaps something like that is possible?
That would be just brilliant and cure many headaches!
Old 11-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #14
ivansc

Quote:

Excellent idea, maybe post this (or a more precise version) in Feature Requests? I for one would invent several sock puppets & make them all vote for it as many times as possible!