Old 04-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Amplitube 5 questions

I dove into Amplitube 5 recently, as they were giving away the new SLO-100 amp model. The April sale on Fender 2 collection was also worth buying imo.

I'm noticing that they captured the amp hiss, hum, and other noises with striking detail. It's a bit much, if you ask me. I only have the free Amplitube 5, so I'm not sure if there's a way to turn down that noise at all? My real tube amps don't make that much noise.

Secondly, are the Amplitube rack processors interchangeable with Mixbox? Are they the same thing? If you purchase Mixbox can the modules be used in Amplitube?

Last edited by kirk1701; 04-30-2021 at 01:35 PM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:25 PM   #2

Amplitube 3 was the best.. 5 doesn't have the option to turn of oversampling to lower the cpu usage when tracking.. 5 even loads way slower than 4 or 3..
12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345678 View Post
Amplitube 3 was the best.. 5 doesn't have the option to turn of oversampling to lower the cpu usage when tracking.. 5 even loads way slower than 4 or 3..
Little off-topic, but thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:27 AM   #4
Apostel338

Concerning the noise:

When you plug your guitar into a real amp, you have no "active" hardware between them.

No matter how good your audio interface is, it will always have some level of noise, which can be higher or lower depending on how high you turn up the preamp. If that noise, even if it's at -90 dB, ends up in a high-gain amp, that's what you'll hear.

Try your best with noisegates or denoisers.
Apostel338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I'm noticing that they captured the amp hiss, hum, and other noises with striking detail.
I haven't noticed that (having limited experience with Amplitube 5), but could it be that it's your guitar electronics' noise that is, well, amplified?
Old 05-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
martmix

amplitube 4 max noisy for me also...
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
MiddleC

Depends on the patch, in my experience. Some are well behaved, some are darn near unusable.

Also, my strat with single coil pickups is noisy as all hell - especially close to my PC case. My guitars with humbuckers, less so.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
fred garvin

At medium gain settings I don't have any trouble. There is a low level of guitar amp type noise, nothing that I find troublesome. This rises as the gain level does. Are you using very high gain settings?

Gain staging is very important and the gain and response vary wildly across amp models. I recall trying the Fender 2 stuff and being surprised that a 5w Champ was louder and higher gain and noisier than a Soldano. Which of course it wouldn't be, it just wants to be driven differently than I was. Also the presets are very specific, if you have trouble with a preset definitely try varying the gain and pickup selection.

There's a basic noise gate included in the free package and more advanced ones available, if you want to go that route.

Good luck!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #9
kirk1701

I should probably mention all my guitars are homebrew Eric Clapton Stratocasters. So passive Lace Sensor pickups with a +25db active midboost circuit. I imagine this has to be adding some noise.

I tend to be a guitar-into-amp player, so I really like tweed-style amps. You generally have to turn them up then ride the guitar's volume.

Noise is par-for-the-course with tube amps, which I've mostly learned to deal with. I really should try aiming my guitar away from the PC case to see if that helps.

The signal chain is guitar to Pre73jr DI to Shure A15as inline pad to interface line input.

Last edited by kirk1701; 05-01-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:07 AM   #10
MiddleC

Pick a stock preset and record.a sample of the noise. I’ll use the same preset and we can compare it.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:13 AM   #11
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345678 View Post
a portion of that startup time appears to be loading all the presets. I deleted them all and startups are a little quicker.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
Pick a stock preset and record.a sample of the noise. I’ll use the same preset and we can compare it.
Can do!

UPDATE: Had the line input way too high. Monitoring amp sims like this is extremely difficult. I'm not able to hear the amp as well as a "real" amp. Any tricks for better monitoring?

Last edited by kirk1701; 05-02-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:43 PM   #13
fred garvin

Not sure what you mean, what is it about monitoring the guitar sound you find difficult?

The disconnect might be that with AT5 and Reaper you literally get exactly what you hear, where with the old school experience, speaking as a drummer for most of my musical life fighting 1 or 2 Marshall stacks plus bass there's this OTT wall of really kind of shrill unpleasant sound that is then miced and EQed and damped down by bodies to where it then becomes awesome lol... but so then now there doesn't need to be any excess to "make sure you can be heard" or such. However if you do want/need to do that kind of thing for monitoring you can just dial it away in mixing like it was never there, but yah the gain staging especially for input is absolutely critical, maybe the one thing that isn't an easy fix.

As noted the AT amp models vary wildly in input response... I guess as is true to the real thing, which is kinda their thing,. I understand some amp sims do input normalization or such, like I understand the Waves sims do that. But I do not like the Waves sims, AT is to me far superior in touch and volume response, which makes sense, I would expect normalization to affect dynamic response. Horses for courses.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #14
kirk1701

I can sort out the monitoring. It's a general concern with my setup, I'm slowly realizing.

I think you've characterized the "live" experience very well. This may sound cliché, but a physical amp pushes air. The concussion isn't huge, but it still exists. You feel it.

Amp sims don't have that. They do very well tonally, but that feel is still elusive. AT5 is so much better than anything else I've tried, but there's still a disconnect for me. I think headphones are essential for tricking yourself into the feel.

UPDATE: Took the Shure in-line pad out of the chain. Gave me a much better signal for recording. I originally got the pad because condenser mics clipped all my inputs.

Last edited by kirk1701; 05-04-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #15
kirk1701

A new question: has anyone played around with the Fender Vibratone in the Fender Collection?

Again, my expectations got the better of me. I was hoping it would be a little more swirly, but it's not very controllable as is. Am I missing something?
Old 05-19-2021, 12:30 AM   #16
fred garvin

Oh, that's so cool, totally missed that, have to give it a try. In response so far as I'm able, I have the Leslie package and like it a lot. It's true that due to the two speed/"vintage sim" thing, there's not the same level of control like a chorus effect. My preferred way to use the Leslie is to have 2 amp channels, like a modern amp with a tight FR cab, and an AC30 type amp with the Leslie, usually on the slow speed, makes for a nice mix. If you want more extreme and/or more controllable similar FX, there's great options. The Fulltone 80s chorus is great, the suite of rack FX in the Fender collection is very good, the Uni-Vibe is quite good, the EH stuff is like the EH stuff lol.

But yah, there are moments I wish the IK devs had said, authenticity is fine, and a good option that we will provide, but we're also going to do this modern version of this effect with modern options like they would or should have had they the option back in the day, and like, add speed and intensity controls, and this is one. I mean, c'mon, a speed control on a LFO based effect and a intensity/mix control on a modulation based effect is just obligatory now.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #17
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Oh, that's so cool, totally missed that, have to give it a try. In response so far as I'm able, I have the Leslie package and like it a lot. It's true that due to the two speed/"vintage sim" thing, there's not the same level of control like a chorus effect. My preferred way to use the Leslie is to have 2 amp channels, like a modern amp with a tight FR cab, and an AC30 type amp with the Leslie, usually on the slow speed, makes for a nice mix. If you want more extreme and/or more controllable similar FX, there's great options. The Fulltone 80s chorus is great, the suite of rack FX in the Fender collection is very good, the Uni-Vibe is quite good, the EH stuff is like the EH stuff lol.

But yah, there are moments I wish the IK devs had said, authenticity is fine, and a good option that we will provide, but we're also going to do this modern version of this effect with modern options like they would or should have had they the option back in the day, and like, add speed and intensity controls, and this is one. I mean, c'mon, a speed control on a LFO based effect and a intensity/mix control on a modulation based effect is just obligatory now.
I don't need that level of control on a Leslie. I know how to get what I want if I have the proper tools. I don't need anything like the control of a chorus. I simply need moveable mics and a strong signal.

I have no idea what was in IK's mind when they designed the Vibratone model. They've not given me any moveable mics. Turning up the level in the mixer does very little. I don't know what the "aux cabinet" is meant to be. There should be at least two mics: one on each side of the cabinet. A third would be nice for the low end, but there isn't a ton of that in the Vibratone. I don’t know if I need a higher AT level?

Last edited by kirk1701; 05-19-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #18
Edgemeal

When viewing Leslie cab, under the Leslie Slow-Fast switch there is 'Advanced' button, in there you can tweak it a bit more, move mics, change speed +/- 20%, etc, better then nothing I suppose.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #19
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
When viewing Leslie cab, under the Leslie Slow-Fast switch there is 'Advanced' button, in there you can tweak it a bit more, move mics, change speed +/- 20%, etc, better then nothing I suppose.
This is for the Vibratone cab?
Old 05-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #20
Edgemeal

Quote:
This is for the Vibratone cab?
No sorry, when viewing Leslie cab, never mind.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #21
foxAsteria

I thought the Fender 2 collection was trash. Never use any of it and it's like they were too lazy to even create new assets for the GUI of each amp. Anyways...

You'll never get amp feel from amp sims because they model the recorded amp sound. You get the final product without having to do the work of recording it properly but yea, not the feel or sound of a live amp.

Speaker sims still suck IMO, so I don't use em. I'm pretty much always using the Vibrolux 61 sims I got for free here: https://seacowcabs.wordpress.com/ They never let me down.

I don't have much problem with noise, but I'm not doing high gain stuff. I don't think they modeled the noise on purpose, it's just the nature of gain amplify that too. Just need to make sure you get a good level from the guitar and that it's plugged into an instrument input with correct impedance.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #22
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I thought the Fender 2 collection was trash. Never use any of it and it's like they were too lazy to even create new assets for the GUI of each amp. Anyways...

You'll never get amp feel from amp sims because they model the recorded amp sound. You get the final product without having to do the work of recording it properly but yea, not the feel or sound of a live amp.

Speaker sims still suck IMO, so I don't use em. I'm pretty much always using the Vibrolux 61 sims I got for free here: https://seacowcabs.wordpress.com/ They never let me down.

I don't have much problem with noise, but I'm not doing high gain stuff. I don't think they modeled the noise on purpose, it's just the nature of gain amplify that too. Just need to make sure you get a good level from the guitar and that it's plugged into an instrument input with correct impedance.
I disagree. Besides which, I wasn't really looking for opinions on modeling in general. That's another discussion altogether.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #23
foxAsteria

Oh. Nice.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:41 PM   #24
fred garvin

Took a look at the Vibratone. I have AT5 full and I don't get any mic options. The aux cab I believe is a reference to how this model of the cab was designed to be used. From Wikipedia: "A crossover was also built-in, with the Vibratone handling the mid-range frequencies, and sending the high/low frequencies to the driving amplifier. "
Old 05-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #25
kirk1701

Quote:
Took a look at the Vibratone. I have AT5 full and I don't get any mic options. The aux cab I believe is a reference to how this model of the cab was designed to be used. From Wikipedia: "A crossover was also built-in, with the Vibratone handling the mid-range frequencies, and sending the high/low frequencies to the driving amplifier. "
This is excellent info. Someone over on the IK forum pointed this out. I wasn't aware the crossover split the hi/lo from the mids. This is precisely what I needed to know. I can shut off the aux cabinet and get only the midrange, which is precisely what I want.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #26
fred garvin

For anyone interested, this Vibratone cab is very interesting, used as semi-intended with a tight aux cab it gives you a tight top and bottom with subtle chorusy stuff going on in the middle, I dunno, I actually prefer a little shimmer in the highs but the tight low end is really cool. At the end of the day I think I prefer the biamp thing I was doing for my thing but I think this might be really interesting with maybe stoner or even djenty type rhythm stuff. YMMV
Old 05-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
kirk1701

Quote:
For anyone interested, this Vibratone cab is very interesting, used as semi-intended with a tight aux cab it gives you a tight top and bottom with subtle chorusy stuff going on in the middle, I dunno, I actually prefer a little shimmer in the highs but the tight low end is really cool. At the end of the day I think I prefer the biamp thing I was doing for my thing but I think this might be really interesting with maybe stoner or even djenty type rhythm stuff. YMMV
This is accurate. I think Fender meant it to function like their vibrato circuits. I like just the midrange thing.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #28
DK072257

Default Update broke Amplitube 5

Hello,

I installed the update to Reaper v6.37 yesterday.

Today I tried to load the vst3 and it shuts down Reaper.

Prior to installing the reaper update, I had no problem with Amplitube 5 working fine. I know all my hardware is good so what changed in the update to kill Amplitube? And how do I go back to the previous version of Reaper?

Also interesting is the fact that Amplitube 4 works hummm

Thanks
DK072257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #29
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK072257 View Post
Hello,

Prior to installing the reaper update, I had no problem with Amplitube 5 working fine. I know all my hardware is good so what changed in the update to kill Amplitube? And how do I go back to the previous version of Reaper?

Thanks
I believe there's a recent update to Amplitube 5. You might want to check that out.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #30
Tau Zero II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK072257 View Post

Quote:
I believe there's a recent update to Amplitube 5. You might want to check that out.
AmpliTube 5.2 STILL refuses to play nice with Reaper 6.38.

I reported this difficulty to both IK Multimedia and Cockos a few months back, and didn't get any resolution. IIRC, both sides basically said, "It's not our fault, it must be theirs." (heavy sigh)

At least I was able to go back to AmpliTube 4, and I was able to recover some of my Reaper projects with AmpliTube 5 in "safe mode" after they failed to open with AT5. (Spock eyebrow)

I just wish both companies would work together to do whatever it takes to resolve this problem.