Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
eviluess
Human being with feelings

Default Too many layers makes it into a mess

I tried to edit video by Reaper.
But I found if the project is too complex, the result will turn bad.

Adding one more text overlay will cause the back videos become unexpected results.

The project can be downloaded from:
https://github.com/eviluess/sandbox/...niyuu-error.7z

Please see the video for detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnDcD3EfXw
eviluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
papagirafe

Reaper is tricky with video tracks but there is always a solution that depends heavily on the context. I prefer to put the video processor effects at the item level instead of track level. I also put text on an empty midi item in a separate track. That prevents a lot of surprises. Good luck!
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:55 AM   #3
uncleswede

I don't know if it helps but two things particularly revolutionised my Reaper multi-layer video projects...

1) realising that automating track opacity across all video tracks is the only way to do multi-track video transitions cleanly. Ignore the "video item follows fade" preset and splitting/muting video items

2) Jon Tidey's (ReaperBlog) video tools course (https://reaperblog.net/course/reaperblog-video-tools/) which, for the price of a round of drinks ($30), gives you a set of invaluable video processor presets, shows you how to use Latch Preview effectively and highlights a method of positioning and resizing video elements using a mouse.

I'm not affiliated with Jon at all (just a fan), by the way.

Here's a link to the first, multi-layer video (a 'lockdown collaboration' cover of James Taylor's "Copperline") I did following Jon's course. Probably inappropriate to promote the link but, in my defense, I am proud of it :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvcK7anles
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #4
eviluess

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagirafe View Post
Reaper is tricky with video tracks but there is always a solution that depends heavily on the context. I prefer to put the video processor effects at the item level instead of track level. I also put text on an empty midi item in a separate track. That prevents a lot of surprises. Good luck!
I also tried this but it still works like a mess.
eviluess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #5
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviluess View Post
I also tried this but it still works like a mess.
I know how frustrating it is! To restrict the scope of video presets to your item, I often rely on "overlay: image overlay" as the last fx in the chain. That prevents the video fxs from "leaking" out of the item (although a few presets do leak anyway). Another strategy is to move some of the video elements to a sub-project (manually because sub-project functionality is restricted to audio only) and then use them as new items in your project.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
Spirit

Some excellent tips in this thread. I've just used the track opacity automation idea and it works beautifully. Added bonus is the easy cross-fade options it gives. Also the image-overlay technique to avoid effects leakage is the other issue I needed to fix.
Thanks!
Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Some excellent tips in this thread. I've just used the track opacity automation idea and it works beautifully. Added bonus is the easy cross-fade options it gives. Also the image-overlay technique to avoid effects leakage is the other issue I needed to fix.
Thanks!
Super!

One last tip: fading in/out to black (or "background track") is often tricky with opacity among multiple concurrent layers. The best is to fade out/in a black image (or a second copy of the background) as the topmost layer.