Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
NoNoise
Human being with feelings

Default No Signal from M-Audio Fast Track Pro

I have searched, but I have not found any resolution to this issue. Therefore, I'm afraid I had to post a new topic.

I just bought a M-Audio Fast Track Pro to use with REAPER. I'm completely new to home recording.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit SP1.

I installed the newest M-Audio drivers from their website and then plugged in the Fast Track Pro. I installed REAPER and started it. I set the options in REAPER according to M-Audio's instructions here:
http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=supp...9feb1c5745f467

However, I am not getting any signal when trying to play/record my guitar in REAPER using my M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

I have headphones plugged into the Fast Track Pro, and I can hear my guitar (though only through the left side of the headphones - but I'll deal with that later).

Can someone please assist me with this issue? I'm not sure if the issue may have to do with my Windows/Sound settings or my REAPER settings. In my "Playback Devices" and "Recording Devices" sections of the Sound settings, I have the "Line 1/2 - M-Audio Fast Track Pro" set as my default.

Please let me know if you need any screen shots or further info. Thank you!!!
NoNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Welcome to the forums!

Click the little speaker symbol on the track (the input monitoring button).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
brainwreck

What Ollie said, turn on monitoring for the track, and record arm the track. For monitoring with the fast track, maybe this will help. Btw, the windows recording/playback settings shouldn't have any influence on what is going on in Reaper.

[IMG]http://img13.**************/img13/8120/maudiomonitoring.png[/IMG]
Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
NoNoise

I turned on monitoring, but I'm still not seeing any waves when recording and I don't see any activity on the volume meter on the track and at the bottom of the screen. When I set the recording device to my webcam, I see activity in the volume meters, so I expect I should see that when using my Fast Track Pro as well.

Attached is a screen shot.

And thanks so much for your replies! I look forward to being more active on the forums as I progress in my knowledge of REAPER!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (32.4 KB, 1351 views)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
brainwreck

Let's see....you have the asio driver enabled in Reaper, you've selected the correct input, record arm is on, and monitoring is on........is the input that you're using on the fast track set for line in or mic/instrument in? You might be seeing activity in your web cam app because you have a mic connected to a different input.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-01-2011 at 05:21 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
NoNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Let's see....you have the asio driver enabled in Reaper, you've selected the correct input, record arm is on, and monitoring is on........is the input that you're using on the fast track set for line in or mic/instrument in? You might be seeing activity in your web cam app because you have a mic connected to a different input.
Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear about the complete web cam comment. I don't have my web cam selected now. Only the Fast Track Pro is set. I only temporarily changed it to my web came before to check to see if I got a signal from that, which I did. Now, it's just the Fast Track Pro on ASIO settings.

I have the Fast Track Pro on Instrument In (push-button is out - I tried both ways just to make sure, though). I have my instrument cable plugged into the 1 input on the front of the device. The green signal LED lights up when I play.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoise View Post
Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear about the complete web cam comment. I don't have my web cam selected now. Only the Fast Track Pro is set. I only temporarily changed it to my web came before to check to see if I got a signal from that, which I did. Now, it's just the Fast Track Pro on ASIO settings.

I have the Fast Track Pro on Instrument In (push-button is out - I tried both ways just to make sure, though). I have my instrument cable plugged into the 1 input on the front of the device. The green signal LED lights up when I play.
It's hard to tell from the screenshot that you provided, but it looks like your track is set for input 2. If you're guitar is input 1, change the Reaper track input to 1.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
NoNoise

Quote:
It's hard to tell from the screenshot that you provided, but it looks like your track is set for input 2. If you're guitar is input 1, change the Reaper track input to 1.
I'm afraid I've tried that as well.

I'll post on the M-Audio forums as well in case it's an issue with the way I have the Fast Track Pro setup.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
NoNoise

Well, I was right about one thing, it was something pretty small and stupid.

The issue was just that I was using a different USB cable than what came with the Fast Track Pro. The provided cable is shorter than I wanted it to be (not allowing me to put the Fast Track Pro as far away from my PC as I wanted), so I used another USB cable. Well, obviously, that USB cable can't handle the signal being sent by the Fast Track Pro.

So, I switched back to the provided USB cable, and I'm all good.

I just hope this helps someone else in the future!!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
brainwreck

Hey NoNoise, glad you got it figured out. %*#@%! temperamental computers.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
RunBeerRun

I use a really long USB cable with my Fast Track Pro. I was going to say check control panel and see if the options are there or frozen first.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
RedStone

Default Same issue ... with the original USB cable

I have the same issue ... but I'm using the cable that came with my Fast track Pro. arrrrrrrg!

Could it be an issue with plugging the Fast Track into different USB ports at different times? M-audio really, really sucks at making drivers.

I've been scouring the intraweb for hours now trying to find a solution, but have found squat. If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStone View Post
I have the same issue ... but I'm using the cable that came with my Fast track Pro. arrrrrrrg!

Could it be an issue with plugging the Fast Track into different USB ports at different times? M-audio really, really sucks at making drivers.

I've been scouring the intraweb for hours now trying to find a solution, but have found squat. If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know.
I've had pretty good luck with M-Audio drivers, but maybe I've been lucky or something. Did you try swapping your usb cable? Are you running it with the external supply or usb power?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
RedStone

I'm running it with USB power - I don't have an external supply for it. I had no trouble last time I sat down to record, but for no apparent reason it decided to stop working. I literally have not updated my computer at all ... I'm still running the original windows 7, and the same version of Reaper for that matter. Very strange. I decided to try the newest Reaper version, but the problem persists.

Since I can hear stuff both through direct monitoring and music through iTunes, perhaps it isn't an M-audio issue. I'm not sure what windows issue could prevent an audio stream from coming in, but not from going out.

I've tried two USB cables ... I can't record anything at all - the signal is D.O.A.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
brainwreck

Quote:
I'm running it with USB power - I don't have an external supply for it. I had no trouble last time I sat down to record, but for no apparent reason it decided to stop working. I literally have not updated my computer at all ... I'm still running the original windows 7, and the same version of Reaper for that matter. Very strange. I decided to try the newest Reaper version, but the problem persists.

Since I can hear stuff both through direct monitoring and music through iTunes, perhaps it isn't an M-audio issue. I'm not sure what windows issue could prevent an audio stream from coming in, but not from going out.

I've tried two USB cables ... I can't record anything at all - the signal is D.O.A.
Do you hear and see input signals (from a mic, guitar, or line input) in the M-Audio control panel? If you do, maybe your inputs/outputs got changed, somehow, in Reaper. If you don't, I'd think that there is a problem with your interface.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
RedStone

Quote:
Do you hear and see input signals (from a mic, guitar, or line input) in the M-Audio control panel? If you do, maybe your inputs/outputs got changed, somehow, in Reaper. If you don't, I'd think that there is a problem with your interface.
Yes I do hear sound and see levels on the M-audio device itself. But in the windows sound control panel, I see nothing at all for input level under the M Audio device. I do see levels for the on-board webcam mic though ... hmm I'm going to see if I can get my hands on another laptop and see if the fast track works on that. If it does, then it's time for a windows re-set. If not, then I'll be on customer support with M-audio.

Thanks buddy! Appreciate your input here
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
RedStone

Yep tried it on an XP machine - same results. She's toasted. Oh well - hopefully they'll send me a new one. It's only 8 months old!
Thanks again.
Ryan
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
brainwreck

Quote:
Yes I do hear sound and see levels on the M-audio device itself. But in the windows sound control panel, I see nothing at all for input level under the M Audio device. I do see levels for the on-board webcam mic though ... hmm I'm going to see if I can get my hands on another laptop and see if the fast track works on that. If it does, then it's time for a windows re-set. If not, then I'll be on customer support with M-audio.

Thanks buddy! Appreciate your input here
Quote:
Yep tried it on an XP machine - same results. She's toasted. Oh well - hopefully they'll send me a new one. It's only 8 months old!
Thanks again.
Ryan
Since you're hearing and seeing signals in the M-Audio panel, I wouldn't think that the problem is with the interface. Double check in Reaper under Options > Preferences > Audio > Device. You should have both ASIO and M-Audio USB selected. Also, on that same page, check that the inputs are enabled. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that it isn't the interface, but a quick check there would be helpful.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #19
geoslake

Quote:
[IMG]http://img13.**************/img13/8120/maudiomonitoring.png[/IMG]
Damn, I don't have this (just a small windows to set latency etc), is that provided with maudio drivers ?
geoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymode View Post
Damn, I don't have this (just a small windows to set latency etc), is that provided with maudio drivers ?
Sorry, I assumed that all of the Fast Tracks shared a similar control panel. I guess not.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
RedStone

Everything checks out .. here's a screen shot

[IMG]http://img600.**************/img600/9656/maudionorecord.jpg[/IMG]

Literally everything except actually recording a signal works.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #22
peter5992

Have you tried this: right click on the track and then select Record: output and select Record: output (stereo).

Also, in the same menu, make sure your "Input" is routed to the appropriate input of your M Audio.

Last edited by peter5992; 09-05-2011 at 05:52 PM.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
RedStone

Sorry I should clarify: I can hear the direct hardware monitoring through the Fast Track Pro, but cannot monitor from within reaper.

The signal coming into the computer is simply nada. I checked using Acid, Audacity and the windows control panel on two different computers. I've got zilch audio being sent into the computer through the USB cable. Perhaps I can try yet another USB cable ... not sure that will really help though as I'm more and more convinced that something has flubbed with the hardware.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
RedStone

Oh I did try your suggestions, Peter - but to no avail
Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
RedStone

Default me = noob!

I made a n00b mistake ... didn't have the inputs selected. Every time I had both selected, it doesn't record at 88.2k. I must have turned the inputs off the last time I used it by mistake (instead of the outputs).
Thanks for all the help ... sorry it was such a stupidly simple solution )
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
hungrymusic

Glad it worked for you guys!

I'm getting no signal even on the fastrack box from my line in (mic works fine). I'm guessing these boxes are simply crap that falls apart. Pity cos it means I'm screwed for home recording.
Started getting the problem a couple of months after the warranty expired. As usual

Let this be a warning to anyone else though - DO NOT BY MAUDIO FASTRACK!
hungrymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymusic View Post
Glad it worked for you guys!

I'm getting no signal even on the fastrack box from my line in (mic works fine). I'm guessing these boxes are simply crap that falls apart. Pity cos it means I'm screwed for home recording.
Started getting the problem a couple of months after the warranty expired. As usual

Let this be a warning to anyone else though - DO NOT BY MAUDIO FASTRACK!
Contact tech support. I don't know how the company is about their policies these days, but in the past, they helped me out with an out of warranty piece of gear.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #28
hungrymusic

Quote:
Contact tech support. I don't know how the company is about their policies these days, but in the past, they helped me out with an out of warranty piece of gear.
Nah, told me basically to bugger off.
"contact your local supplier" - without warranty nobody will touch it.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #29
hungrymusic

If anyone else is still having trouble with this bit of kit btw - it turned out it was just my LED that was broken, and that my line in was coming up as a seperate signal within Reaper (under the line options in the track it's coming up as FastTrack LineIn1 and LineIn2).

I'm still not convinced it isn't overpriced cheap crap though.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
agradeleous

Hey guys good read and M-audio is a good/evilistic interface as a whole LOL I 'd like ask if it's ok to ask some ?'s . I have the asio is not supported deal on two different systems after I built the one I'm using all was great till I took the FTP on Vaca when I plugged it back in Bam the asio error switched usb's to see if I plugged up the wrong one no go no matter which I plug up. So now I find I have to change my audio settings on playback to the Realtek digital output for Reaper to work. but then reset it for standard windows audio monitoring/play back of online stuff and what I have to use for playback setting is the FTP line 1/2. so maybe you go that's right but the weird thing is never had to adjust any settings before a year at least LOL so what gives am I just nuts ? HAHAHA should I post to another thread ? thanks folks .
agradeleous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #31
Shred_Guitar_NYC

Hey guys, I got the Fast Track Pro about a week ago (my singer lent it/is selling it to me) because I was in hell with the Delta 66.

I had thought that input 2 was bad, because no matter what I tried, I couldn't get a signal out of it. After multiple searches, I found this thread, and I tried messing with the inputs in Reaper options again. The only way to get it to work, is to change the first input to Line in 2 Fast Track Pro. However, when I do that, input 1 doesn't work. Is there a setting so that they can both work at the same time?
Shred_Guitar_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
RunBeerRun

In the M-Audio fast track pro's control panel, do you have both inputs selected? I know you have to actually specify one, or both in there. I use both at once all the time.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #33
stoalainen

Default Usb problem

I had the same problem with windows xp, fasttrack pro and reaper using M-Audio USB ASIO. It turned out to be a usb related issue.

I noticed the problem after moving my computer to another location. Only playback but no input signal on reaper. After not finding any solution from anywhere I changed the fasttrack to another usb-port and guess what happens, I get input but no output. Weird. So I went through all the few ports I have still working on my computer and found a port where I get both input and output working.

Just plain odd but changing the USB-port worked for me.
stoalainen is offline   Reply With Quote