Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #121
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork View Post
So let me see if I understand all of this.. I can run X86 reaper on X64 (Win7) and that will allow me to take advantage of my full 16 gigs of memory?

So here is a question: I have Win 7 X86 and x64 installed on the same HD, but each on their own partition. Will I lose performance ( or even possible to ) directing x64 to use the plugin folder from the x86 partition?
actually no, if your OS is 64x (windows in this case), using the 86x Reaper will still yield the same result as using 86x on 86x machine. You need both software and the OS to be 64 bit.

Now to the second question. You can use the plugin folder from 86x however your plugin then won't be able to use more memory. That means that if your plugin isn't a RAM hungry plugin then you can run it 86x no worries (issues with compatibility with some plugins can still arise) however with plugins such as Kontakt, You'd be better of using 64bit versions (of the plugins, in this case Kontakt)

So basically 64 bit OS, DAW and plugins, is the best performance!

64 bit OS and DAW but 86 bit plugin. means that one plugin in particular won't be working as 64.

64x an 86x DAW and you're already going 86 so your entire daw won't be able to use any more than 4 gbs of ram (actually less)
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #122
Pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
actually no, if your OS is 64x (windows in this case), using the 86x Reaper will still yield the same result as using 86x on 86x machine. You need both software and the OS to be 64 bit.

Now to the second question. You can use the plugin folder from 86x however your plugin then won't be able to use more memory. That means that if your plugin isn't a RAM hungry plugin then you can run it 86x no worries (issues with compatibility with some plugins can still arise) however with plugins such as Kontakt, You'd be better of using 64bit versions (of the plugins, in this case Kontakt)

So basically 64 bit OS, DAW and plugins, is the best performance!

64 bit OS and DAW but 86 bit plugin. means that one plugin in particular won't be working as 64.

64x an 86x DAW and you're already going 86 so your entire daw won't be able to use any more than 4 gbs of ram (actually less)
Thank you. That greatly clarifies what I need to consider for building a new system and what versions of Vst's and software to re-purchase in 64 bit format. This is going to suck, lol.
Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #123
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork View Post
Thank you. That greatly clarifies what I need to consider for building a new system and what versions of Vst's and software to re-purchase in 64 bit format. This is going to suck, lol.
I did a change like taht last year. it was really uncomfortable at first, but then it just all made sense. Now I've never been any happier. I was amazed to find out that many other leading companies didn't have 64 bits. This winter I was also experimenting around with some electronic music and was trying out Ableton (by then 8) and it really amazed me how they didnt have 64x version. Same about pro tools and how everybody was so 'OMG this is a HUGE UPDATE!' with that new protools with 64 bit version finlly..

I mean seriously? We've had it for quite awhile! Now not that I'm trying to compare or anything. My current vision is to use 64 bits even with machines with 4 or less gbs 9given the processor can handle 64 bits)

And about the VSTs. Many companies have a single license regardless the bit version of the plugin so all you need is get the installer for 64 bits and just use your license. Should work imo
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #124
Jyibe

Can anyone in this thread (It looks untouched since 2013) shed some light on a problem I'm having with bridging...?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147208

Thank you,
Jyibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #125
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyibe View Post
Can anyone in this thread (It looks untouched since 2013) shed some light on a problem I'm having with bridging...?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147208

Thank you,
JUST IN CASE YOU WANDER IN HERE LIKE I DID

He already sorted this out by re-installing a fresh reaper.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #126
Urgo

Hi guys, someone told me in Cubase you have to put your 32 bit and 64 bits vst in different folders (in "Program Files (x86)" for the 32 bits and in "Programs" for the 64 bits on windows), is it the same in reaper? I can't find an answer.

Thank you for your help.
Urgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #127
bluzkat

I think it is a good thing to keep 32 bit and 64 bit VSTs separate but they don't necessarily have to be in the Program File folders. For VST2 plugins you can put the folders where you want, for example my VSTs are in "D:\VST 64" and when I still used 32 bit VSTs "D:\VST 32". Then just be sure to list the paths in Reaper's preferences.

The person that told you about Cubase's requirements gave you misleading information... you can have your VSTs where ever, just have to tell Cubase where they are. Maybe he was talking about VST3 plugins.

VST3 is another story, those go in specific folders... "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" (for 64 bit) and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3".

Hope this helped.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #128
Urgo

Great, thank you for your help and your answer! ^^
Urgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #129
jernious

Default 32bit bridged vsts issues

Hello,

I have some issues with bridged 32bit plugins in Reaper 64bit.

The plugins work fine on first adding them to the tracks.

But when opening a saved project, most (or all?) 'x86' plugins aren't working:
-the UI does not get displayed (and no 'show UI' button)
-all audio passing through an incorrectly loaded 32bit plugin is blocked

I can solve this by cutting then pasting the plugins, after that, they work again. This costs me a lot of time and is error-prone, though.

Anyone had this issue and found the reason and or a solution? Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Using version 5.941)
(edit: tested with the latest version 5.974: same issue)

Last edited by jernious; 04-18-2019 at 08:48 AM.
jernious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #130
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have something weird going on with your plugin installs or the declared plugin paths in Reaper. Can you give a little more detail as to exactly what plugins are involved in the error & also show your plugin list from the Options/prefs/Plugins/VST window?
In the meantime, have you tried clearing and re-scanning your plugin paths in this same window?
If Reaper cant find a plugin or if the plugin craps out, it automatically marks the plugin off its list of available plugins until ytou fix the problem AND do a full clear/rescan rather than just a plain rescan.

Be worthwhile checking out the free user guide and the excellent free video tutorials at reaper.fm if you havent already done so.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #131
das_sid

Default x86 Plugins and MacOS Mojave - nada

hey there,

i have a big problem: since upgrading to MacOS Mojave (10.14.4 (18E226)), ALL my x86 VST Plugins (and I have loads of them) aren't found anymore, several Clear Cache/Re-Scan-attempts didn't change anything. All my other Plugins work properly. Before the Upgrade, the x86-Plugins worked as well.

Is there any way to fix this or do I just have to live with it?

thanks in advance! (And sorry if i hadn't found a previous discussion about that)

Sid
das_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:33 AM   #132
jernious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have something weird going on with your plugin installs or the declared plugin paths in Reaper. Can you give a little more detail as to exactly what plugins are involved in the error & also show your plugin list from the Options/prefs/Plugins/VST window?
[...]
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

On further inspection, I only have this problem in some projects. Probably caused by an old version of EZDrummer.
There's a chance that the x86-loading process stops on loading this plugin, without throwing any errors.
I don't get any error messages while loading, and the EZDrummer VST stays visible in the VST list..
Not a big issue, as I don't use the EZdrummer plugin very often.

Grtz
jernious is offline   Reply With Quote