Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #81
Human being with feelings

I have a Core 2 Quad Processor with 4GB or ram running on Windows 7 64 BIT.

My question is, since this thread mentioned the only difference of the 64 bit Reaper and 32 bit is 64 can assess more the 4GB of ram should I just use Reaper 32 bit.
420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #82
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 View Post
I have a Core 2 Quad Processor with 4GB or ram running on Windows 7 64 BIT.

My question is, since this thread mentioned the only difference of the 64 bit Reaper and 32 bit is 64 can assess more the 4GB of ram should I just use Reaper 32 bit.
You can use either 32 or 64 bit Reaper. With 64-bit Reaper your 32-bit plugins will run in bridged mode which takes some performance penalty, but nothing serious. With 32-bit Reaper, of course you cannot use 64-bit plugins...

I use 32-bit Reaper on W7x64, works great.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #83
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
With 32-bit Reaper, of course you cannot use 64-bit plugins...
With Reaper x86 (32 bit) you CAN use 64 bit plugins. The bridge works 2 ways! That's a big -=NICE ONE=-.

*edit*

Of course only on Windows/MacOS 64 bit!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #84
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by urobolus View Post
Has anyone had luck with running Native Instruments (B4, Kontakt, etc.) and EWQL programs (symphonic choir, RA, DFHS, symphonic orchestra, etc) in x64?

I was really excited to upgrade to the XP64 I've had sitting around for years as I finally got a new card that has 64-bit drivers, then realized my programs might not work in reaper x64. I wanted to upgrade to a 64-bit system simply because I keep running out of memory in 32-bit since I mostly use sample libraries.

Uro
I had MASSIVE problems with 32-bit versions (the only ones available?) of NI's B4 and Battery, running Reaper X86 on a Win7-64bit machine. All of the other NI VSTi's seem to be fine, but these two cause all Hell to break loose every once in a while.

I also believe that the problem is tied to, or exacerbated by, what bridging/firewalling option you choose.
===============

So, here I am about to upgrade versions of Reaper & several plugins, & I'm wondering what the current thinking is on versions.

I am NOT running out of ram, and I have plenty of reserve CPU cycles. Also, some of my fav plugins are not available in 64-bit. However, I cannot use Battery or B4, and this is killing me. I don't know if running them 64-bit will help or not, but it's possible.

So, should I still be running Reaper X86, with all 32 bit plugins, and forget about B4?

Should I run Reaper X86, but try the 64-bit NI plugins, and bridge them? - If so, which settings should I set in the Reaper Prefs?

Last edited by Cableaddict; 12-23-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #85
Cableaddict

humpity bumpity.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #86
Cableaddict

- Sat on a wall, waiting for confirmation.

So is it still: " X-86 DAW + X86 plugins, under Win7-64bit" ?

And if so, what bridging option is best to select?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #87
marcus82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
With Reaper x86 (32 bit) you CAN use 64 bit plugins. The bridge works 2 ways! That's a big -=NICE ONE=-.

*edit*

Of course only on Windows/MacOS 64 bit!
SiKo - I am running Vista x64 and a 32 bit Reaper. Some vst developers offer x86 and x64 versions of their software. I assumed I needed to run the x86 version, but your statement tells me otherwise. Should I be going for the x64 whenever I can?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #88
ugh

I have tried to use the .dll in the zip file of the OP, but it doesn't work on my system (Win 7 Home Premium).
Inside the zip it's the same name as the old 32bit lame, actually.
I even renamed it to lame_enc64.dll but still no success.
The other .dll that reaper mentions libmp3lame.dll I was not able to find at all as a download that looked trustworthy.

I then found the lame file on the developer's website but again it doesn't work at all. I placed it where the reaper executable is located.

Would it be possible to include this whole thing in Reaper 4 ?
I would even pay a little extra if Reaper was simply able to render mp3 files without all the trouble of those dll files.
If I don't get this to work, I will just use the freeware program Format Factory to make mp3 files from a rendered WAV, but it's not really my preferred way.

So, where do I get a working lame_enc64.dll file ?
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #89
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
So, where do I get a working lame_enc64.dll file ?
I don't think it's possible to include mp3 encoder. There are licensing issues...

When I try to render to mp3 from within Reaper 3.75 x64, I get this dialog when the mp3-encoder is missing:

[IMG]http://img171.**************/img171/2442/mp3decodermissing.png[/IMG]

You don't see that?

Clicking the "Download lame_enc64..." link takes me to a French web page from which what is needed is downloadable. Not sure if I should post the link here, so first try for yourself. Remove anything related to mp3 encoding from your Reaper install dir. Try to render, get the dialog, click the link...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #90
ugh

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to include mp3 encoder. There are licensing issues...

When I try to render to mp3 from within Reaper 3.75 x64, I get this dialog when the mp3-encoder is missing:

[IMG]http://img171.**************/img171/2442/mp3decodermissing.png[/IMG]

You don't see that?

Clicking the "Download lame_enc64..." link takes me to a French web page from which what is needed is downloadable. Not sure if I should post the link here, so first try for yourself. Remove anything related to mp3 encoding from your Reaper install dir. Try to render, get the dialog, click the link...
my music system is not connected to the internet so the dialogue inside of Reaper is of no use to me.
I need to get the file on a USB stick from here and bring it to the studio where my music sytem is located.
Also I don't really understand why there are licensing issues if a freeware program like Format Factory can encode mp3 files.
Thanks anyway, though.
Rendering as WAV and making mp3 of those files later on will have to work. it's ok, just not very comfortable.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #91
jonmatifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh
Also I don't really understand why there are licensing issues if a freeware program like Format Factory can encode mp3 files.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3#Lic..._patent_issues

...Its complicated

In any case, I provided this link in the top of this thread but you may have missed it. Here you can find a 64bit version of the LAME mp3 encoder dll.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #92
Joto Joto

Default Plugin compatibility with Win xp/7

I am planning to move from my current PC to a new one, based on Intel sandy bridge, and Windows 7 instead of Win XP 32 (mainly in order to acess more than 4 Gb of RAM).

I use lots of free plugins, which are very good by the way. Among them, many are listed (on their web site) as "Win 32", Windows", "Windows XP".

I wonder, does it mean that they are supposed to work exclusively "under" Windos XP OS, or it means that they work under 32 bit DAW (regardless of OS 32/64 option[/U]). I did plan to work on Win 7/ Reaper 32 to mantain my current workflow, and (as I said) many "nice" plugins...for example Variety of sound, Antress Modern plugins, GSi etc.

Please help!!!

If they are not compatible with Win7 at all, I will have to give up Windows 7 route, and continue to work on XP on new quad core PC (which isn't bad per se, but it will limit RAM access)
Joto Joto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #93
jonmatifa

Quote:
I wonder, does it mean that they are supposed to work exclusively "under" Windos XP OS, or it means that they work under 32 bit DAW (regardless of OS 32/64 option[/U])
Unless they have some weird dependencies, everything should work just fine. Generally, 64bit operating systems do a great job of running 32bit applications, especially Windows 7. Reaper 32bit and 64bit can both run 32bit and 64bit plugins (in a 64bit operating system) because of the Reaper bridge.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #94
Joto Joto

Many thanks!

Means that I am going in Win7 64 bit direction after all.
Joto Joto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #95
Solar

Hey guys!!

Glad i found this "sticky" cuz i'm just installing my new built i7 system Win 7 64 bit. Been really good infos here and I was wondering, I did install Reaper 4 Alpha (latest) 32 & 64 bit. Started R4 x32 bit and went to VST under Preferences and gave the directory path to Reaper and scanned the plugins i started installing including my Waves plugins.

Everything runs smooth and already with R4 x32 bit, I opened like 55 plugins random instantly from Waves and my computer CPU was at 8%... simply ridiculous I swear, mind blowing.

My question now, with R4 x64 bit, I guess I will have to do the same and go under Pref and give R4 x64 bit the directory path of my Vstplugin folder so it can scan my plugins again? Is that it?

And once reaper scan the Directory (as I have some 64 bit and 32 bit plugins Fx installed) how does reaper 64 bit works? Cuz read that Reaper do have it's own "Bridge" system, does it Auto-Detect what plugins are x32 and x64?

Any clarification would be much appreciated!!!

Thanx a lot in advance

Cheers~!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #96
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
And once reaper scan the Directory (as I have some 64 bit and 32 bit plugins Fx installed) how does reaper 64 bit works? Cuz read that Reaper do have it's own "Bridge" system, does it Auto-Detect what plugins are x32 and x64?
Yes, it knows which to run in bridged mode and which to not.

Note two things:

* Reaper x86 can run your 64-bit VSTs in a bridged mode of its own.

* If you list both your paths (to 32-bit plug and 64-bit plugs) in the VST directory (you separate the paths by semi-colon) then, if you have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same VST (and they both report the same UID), Reaper will only list the version it encountered last. This allows you to give priority to different versions of the same VST in the two Reaper versions.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #97
Solar

Quote:
Yes, it knows which to run in bridged mode and which to not.

Note two things:

* Reaper x86 can run your 64-bit VSTs in a bridged mode of its own.

* If you list both your paths (to 32-bit plug and 64-bit plugs) in the VST directory (you separate the paths by semi-colon) then, if you have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same VST (and they both report the same UID), Reaper will only list the version it encountered last. This allows you to give priority to different versions of the same VST in the two Reaper versions.
Hi Fabian!!

Thanx for taking the time to reply, very informative indeed. I read you well that x86 version of R4 can read x64 bit plugins but wouldn't be better to run R4 x64 bit instead as it does read x32 bit plugins as well?

By the way, when you are installing 64 bit plugins Fx etc... does Win 7 install them in a specific or different folder then the C:\programfiles\VstPlugins that was created inside the x86 Cubase folder? Or

Gonna set all this up Thanx mate !!!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #98
mosiddiqi

Hi all...something rather odd just happened and it's driving me nuts trying to resolve..hopefully you can help!.

I've been working fine in Reaper 64 bit, Windows 7 for some time. Just a while ago, when I tried to render an mp3..I got the dreaded "lame dll not found etc" message..strange, as it has been working absolutely fine.

I tried a few times with different projects, including ones I'd already rendered previously..and still get the same message.

I downloaded the latest 64 bit lame dll, deleted the old and made sure it was visible in the main Reaper directory. Still not working.

Help!!!
mosiddiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #99
mosiddiqi

Ok, It was me being an idiot...works fine now.
mosiddiqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #100
samreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepipeline View Post
I've been using WinX64 with ReaperX64 for a year now and running Reaper 32bit as a host for my 32bit plugins, routed through Reaper X64 using the Reaper ASIO driver. It works well.

I thought it might be worth mentioning Jbridge.
Jbridge is mentioned elsewhere on the forum. It is a 3rd party bridge which will allow (most) 32bit plugs to run in a 64bit environment, so it is possible without major hastle to keep your existing plugins.

I think Jbridge costs $12 or thereabouts. updates are provided free.
A lovely piece of software.
Amazing idea
can you please help me perform my routing with asio?

cheers
samreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #101
Mort

A question if I may.

I have a nice quad-core/DDR3 system currently running 32bit XP, but capable of going 64bit. The idea would be to upgrade to 64bit and to click a few more ram chips in the box. The mobo supports up to 8GB of RAM and DDR3 is going cheap these days.

Having read a few posts describing mixed results when it comes to running plug ins in 64bit, I'm hesitant to go for a full system upgrade.

However, I could potentially install xp64 or Seven-64 on a second hard drive, install reaper 32bit on that new system disk, and then configure that version of reaper to use the VSTs already installed in the current xp 32bit system disk.

Do you think that would work at all? It sounds like it would be pushing it a bit, but I can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work. After all, the new install (64) would see the other disk as a data disk, and might be able to simply use the dlls there?
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #102
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
However, I could potentially install xp64 or Seven-64 on a second hard drive, install reaper 32bit on that new system disk, and then configure that version of reaper to use the VSTs already installed in the current xp 32bit system disk.

Do you think that would work at all?
Yes.
Under W7x64 I run Reaper x86 with only x86 (32-bit) plugins. Works great, no problems.
I'd skip the XP64 and go right for W7x64, given the choice. I only tried XP64 for a very short time long ago, but quickly reverted to XP32, since I never got the XP64 to work correctly. W7x64 worked straight out of the box, for me.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #103
Mort

Thanks Fabian, I think I'll give it a shot once I've made sure my hardware is 64bit compliant. it's already looking good for the midi keyboard.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #104
samreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb82 View Post
@rapapar
Wavosaur x86 (32-Bit) will work fine in Win x64 (64-Bit)
At least version 1.0.5.0 is doing so here...

BTW:
If anyone cares... I am currently running Win7 x64 and have been for some months, since the RTM was out. Coming from XP x86 and the nauseous XP x64 and having to work on the agonizing Vista (in the case of Vista, x86 is no guarantee for stability!) I expected the worst of Win7 ... more colors, more FX, more this and that and BSODs and all the usual flaws that usually fluff up the fun and productivity resting inside computers.
But what can I say... beggar never let me down once. Yet. And I sure hope it stays that way. Finally, Microsoft's overclocked synapses have yielded a stable operating system and I'm glad to say that in moving on from XP I never had to look back once.
On x64 that is, remember. Not x86.
Coded like a brick s...house, just won't crash.

As an environment to work with, Win7 (in disregard of x86 or x64 architecture) is fast, stable (even after months of intense testing and installing and removing... you know the routine) and has a very efficient workflow once you get it tamed.

I decided to stay with 64-bits, without really knowing what that meant. Apart from this "more than 4gig"-thing everybody's excited about.
And I guess it seems natural that in a x64 environment you don't want to worry about lots of effort going to waste for the sake of compatibility and downward-bitted-integration. I'm glad to say that I have not a single device in my machine that wasn't at least written a driver for to work under Vista x64 (which in a personally estimated percentage of 95 will also do its deeds under Win7), so no compatibility issues hiding there.

I got interested in Reaper x64, as it would seem logical that an x64 application should run steadier and more efficient than an application compiled for the -to x64- alien x86 architecture, maybe greatly profit from that and reward me with a whole lotta more plugin instances - or what do I know, "what do we need? ... *more power!*"

The thing that always fluffed my plans up was the un-interoperability of Reaper x64 and x86 plugins. Just couldn't get them to work. Of course.
Now that the Cockos guys have been toying (umm... code-wise! ^^) with the x86-bridging I started listening up again.

Since noone seems to have any figures or charts or numbers, I conducted my own little benchmark. Or well, it's not a real benchmark, more of a little comparison I did to satisfy my curiosity as noone else could do that. But it's conclusive enough for me.

Have a look at these pictures, and hopefully you'll be able to follow:
http://picasaweb.google.de/ryskdsp/R...X64AndBridging

Here's how I did it:

Went and found myself 2 plugins that I feel comfortable with.
For one, the free mono version of the SinusWeb Peak Compressor which I LOVE because it does its job just as it promises and you can insert it practically anywhere (umm... into tracks and stuff! ^^) as it hardly chews at the CPU at all.
And as not the opponent but rather the accomplice I chose Cockos ReaXcomp, as it's in contrary a relatively complex tool and yet also surprisingly CPU efficient.
Quickly shoved some samples onto two tracks of an empty project and off we go.

I made sure that all instances of the PeakCompressor had the same settings while testing, just cranked the faders until it showed a rise in CPU hunger. As you can/might notice, the gain reduction is actually doing quite a hard job.
The same for all instances of the ReaXcomp, yanked it into some senseless but demanding function and watched it breathe.

(Of course, the parameter settings used in the first hosted instance were exported to a patch and reloaded into the other instance/s! Be assured: no parameter cheating!)

As the CPU use values are always changing as the track continues, I observed those values for a while to find their "realistic" max and min values and simply made a picture when the average / middle-value was shown.
The PeakCompressor native x86 under Reaper x86 just wouldn't come above 0.7% or 0.8%, so rather not see that value as an average but more of a maximum!

My goal was to prove (to myself) that under Win7 x64 an instance of Reaper x64 with a native x64 plugin would show better performance than an instance of Reaper x64 with a bridged x86 version of the exact same plugin - and that bridging x86 plugins into an instance of Reaper x64 comes with a decrease in performance in comparison to a native x86 version of a plugin inside an instance of Reaper x86.

And from what I observed, that was just the case.

The x86 plugin in Reaper x86 work just fine.
The x64 plugin in Reaper x64 work just fine.
But both x86 plugins in Reaper x64 (bridged) were hungrier for CPU than their native companions. (EDIT: or them in their native environment)

Uhm, yeah: I know that 1.15% bridged from x86 to x64 compared to 0.75% in native x86 is not a hell of a lot of a difference - but don't forget, that's over 53% of "hot air" wasted in just 1 instance.
In, say, a project with 20 instances we'd suddenly be talking about ~23% instead of 15%, and thats a respectable amount... nearly 8% of CPU performance gone to waste on bridging... That's 10+ more instances of the PeakCompressor...

PS:
some kind of disclaimer, I guess...
These are MY results, made on MY machine with plugins I use and collected in a way I thought would be appropriate.
Maybe other testing processes and other plugins will result in other ... results.

PPS:
But for all I care ... I'd like plugin development to concentrate on x64 architecture rather than VST3... fluff that, any decent host can handle more than 2 channels per track and any decent plugin can handle more that 2 in- and outputs... so what's the magic with sidechaining... it's just... morer CPU munch...

PPPS:
WOW.
You trying to tell me you read all this?
Gad, you should definitely go out, find some friends...

In the words of George Carlin: "Just wanting to share".
Or in the words of my ol' man: "Hope it chokes you".

Greetings from icy Munich
-Rob-
great man

i actually have the same config as you
win7 64 and reaper 64

but i use amplitube, and it's a 32vst, it's hungry in cpu, and as you sau when bridged it takes more cpu;

so i have a core 15 3.3ghz, 4gb ram. but still running out of memory, because bridging takes lots of memory.

it's crazy to find out that despite all the technology, it's still a mess, and nothing works really well, i mean in general, softwares and hardware are just shitty hazard.

and i agree that instead of being so excited about running disfuctionnal softwares in 64bits, compatibility and stability are a more urgent issues.

i sometimes spend more time troubleshooting issues than composing or playing guitar.
i'not a expert in computer, and i don't want to be, i'm just a user, and a musicien and i find that all these technologies worth shit.
feels like silly kids playing with a self constucted toy.
samreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #105
ReaperMadness

Default Clarification and Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
You can install both the x64 and x86 versions of Reaper on the same machine.
Both accept the license key file, so technically it's possible to use the same license key...
Clarification and confirmation, please.

So, if I download Reaper x64, and at some later time encounter an issue that I believe may be resolved by using Reaper x86...
I can download the x86 version AT ANY TIME and my license key file will enable me to use BOTH VERSIONS?!!

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #106
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Clarification and confirmation, please.

So, if I download Reaper x64, and at some later time encounter an issue that I believe may be resolved by using Reaper x86...
I can download the x86 version AT ANY TIME and my license key file will enable me to use BOTH VERSIONS?!!
Yep!!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #107
ReaperMadness

Default Thanks

Thanks, 'kat.

How's things in Lansing?

1. I'm not that far away.

2. I'm a similar breed of kat, and on most forums my username would've so indicated.

These two similarities kind of intrigue me.

(PM if you care to discuss).

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #108
Blazerok

Default Quick question about bridged 32 bit plugins.

Hi,
It is my first post on here, but i've been using REAPER for quite some time now. I just started using REAPER X64 though.
When I use both 32 bit and 64 bit plugins at the same time, What portion of the Ram can be accessed, and what about processor efficiency?
I'm using Win7 64 bit with an AMD Athlon II x3 CPU and 8G of RAM.
I read a good part of this thread but couldn't find my answers precisely.
Blazerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #109
Timothyier

I use WinX64 with ReaperX64 for a year and operates 32bit Reaper as my host for 32-bit plug-ins used by Hein Reaper X64 conducted with the ASIO driver. It works well.

I thought it would be worth jBridge.
JBridge is elsewhere in the forum. It is a bridge that allow third-party (most) 32-bit plug to run in a 64-bit, so it is easily possible plug-ins to your existing account.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #110
oOJTGOo

This may not be the right thread, so shoot me and put me out of my misery. I think I'm at least on the right path. I'm having nothing but trouble trying to use my Behringer X1204USB. Some google hits says it's the combination of 64 and an ASIO4ALL bug, some say it's the drivers, some say it's the planetary alignment, but I say I'm one step from doing the HULK SMASH!
If I run the 32bit version will this wipe away all my troubles?
oOJTGOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #111
Quasar

Is there a difference between using J's Stuff's jBridge and using Reaper's own internal bridging function for loading x86 plugs into Reaper 64?
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #112
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Is there a difference between using J's Stuff's jBridge and using Reaper's own internal bridging function for loading x86 plugs into Reaper 64?
I have found that the latest jBridge is more stable & opens more x32 plugins correctly than the built in bridge.

Is it worth the $$? Well, only if your having problems opening some of those "must have" plugins you paid for & reapers bridging is not working....
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #113
I Am Me

Default VST's compatible with reaper

Im interested in purchasing reaper, i want to know if plugins like slyenth1, Trillian, Native instruments FM8, Native instruments absynth 5, Nexus or Nexus 2, Zebra 2, and Massive work in this DAW. Its not like im going to buy all of these, i just want to know if reaper is a daw that supports them, especially Sylenth1.

-Thank You for feedback =]
I Am Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #114
StarvingArtistEnt

Default Issues, issues, issues...

Hey all, first post here in the forums.

I recently decided to test out Reaper, switching over from Pro Tools 10. I am running an i7 quad core, 12 GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit. I cannot for the life of me get Reaper to read the Waves bundle I've been running in PT. In preferences I set Reaper to scan the folder they are in for PT, no dice. Copied the waveshell over to User Plugins and set Reaper to scan there, no dice. Copied the waveshell to Plugins and set Reaper to scan there, no dice...

Is there something I'm missing in getting the bridge to recognize them? I'm really digging the style and speed of Reaper, but I'm not willing to give up access to plugins I've paid a pretty penny for. And I'd rather not run 32-bit and lose access to 2/3 of my RAM.

Any possible solutions?

Thanks.
StarvingArtistEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #115
toddy

Default pianoteq vst

Running Windows 7, 64bit, Pianoteq 4 Stage, demo version, works fine free standing.

But as a VSTi in Reaper, it doesn't work at all with the 64 bit .dll, which Reaper loads by default. However, the 32bit .dll (which PianoTeq dumps into a folder in 'Programs (x86)' works inside Reaper, but breaks up more than my other plug ins (inc. Native Instruments and EWQL instruments).

So, 1) does running pianoteq 4 with a bridged 32bit dll compromise its efficiency (especially regarding latency and break ups). And 2) why on earth does the 64bit .dll not work? This problem doesn't occur with any other VSTs or VSTi's that I've tried.

I've reinstalled everything a couple of times and the result is the same: 32bit only.

Any information on this gratefully received, thanks!
toddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #116
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtistEnt View Post
Hey all, first post here in the forums.

I recently decided to test out Reaper, switching over from Pro Tools 10. I am running an i7 quad core, 12 GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit. I cannot for the life of me get Reaper to read the Waves bundle I've been running in PT. In preferences I set Reaper to scan the folder they are in for PT, no dice. Copied the waveshell over to User Plugins and set Reaper to scan there, no dice. Copied the waveshell to Plugins and set Reaper to scan there, no dice...

Is there something I'm missing in getting the bridge to recognize them? I'm really digging the style and speed of Reaper, but I'm not willing to give up access to plugins I've paid a pretty penny for. And I'd rather not run 32-bit and lose access to 2/3 of my RAM.

Any possible solutions?

Thanks.
ProTools won't run VSTs, will it? Aren't the PT plugins RTAS, these won't work in Reaper. You will have to get the VST versions, put the .dlls files in a folder, then have Reaper scan that.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #117
toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
Running Windows 7, 64bit, Pianoteq 4 Stage, demo version, works fine free standing.

But as a VSTi in Reaper, it doesn't work at all with the 64 bit .dll, which Reaper loads by default. However, the 32bit .dll (which PianoTeq dumps into a folder in 'Programs (x86)' works inside Reaper, but breaks up more than my other plug ins (inc. Native Instruments and EWQL instruments).

So, 1) does running pianoteq 4 with a bridged 32bit dll compromise its efficiency (especially regarding latency and break ups). And 2) why on earth does the 64bit .dll not work? This problem doesn't occur with any other VSTs or VSTi's that I've tried.

I've reinstalled everything a couple of times and the result is the same: 32bit only.

Any information on this gratefully received, thanks!
ps - With a bit more experimenting, I can say for sure that the in-Reaper PianoTeq does not work as well as the stand alone version. There are much more frequent break-ups in Reaper.
toddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #118
Klemperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
ps - With a bit more experimenting, I can say for sure that the in-Reaper PianoTeq does not work as well as the stand alone version. There are much more frequent break-ups in Reaper.
That's strange. I'll get a 64bit PC this weekend after 7 years with my brave vista-laptop, and use Pianoteq daily. I'll post back about the 64bit dll after i got the machine.

As I have a lot of beloved old 32bit plugins, I'll read this whole thread carefully now . And then decide what to install. Aren't we lucky to have a daw that has an inbuilt bridge that works both ways.....
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #119
Vendetta V

good thread. I'm trying to find a preset for Power Management that someone posted here from Steinberg forums I think. It'd configure your windows in a way to make your machine run audio smoothly
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #120
Pork

So let me see if I understand all of this.. I can run X86 reaper on X64 (Win7) and that will allow me to take advantage of my full 16 gigs of memory?

So here is a question: I have Win 7 X86 and x64 installed on the same HD, but each on their own partition. Will I lose performance ( or even possible to ) directing x64 to use the plugin folder from the x86 partition?
Pork is offline   Reply With Quote