Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Infomaniac95
Human being with feelings

Default Questions Regarding Various Hardware Synths

Greetings,

I was looking into getting into Hardware MIDI devices, and was wondering if it would all be compatible with Reaper, since that is my main DAW, and what I would prefer to have everything work with.

For the synths, those would be a Roland XV-5080 (with added SR-JV80 and SRX cards, and intent to use the sampler features), Roland SC-880, Proteus FX, Proteus 2000, and YAMAHA Motif Rack ES (with the added VL and DX expansions). I also want to have a Kurzweil K2500R in the setup later, with all expansions, but that wouldn't be until later.

For the sampler, I was thinking of getting an AKAI S6000, for my sampler needs.

That's the main hardware out of the way, but I was also wondering if the other bits of my setup would also be compatible with Reaper.

To get all the stuff from my mixer to my PC, I intend on using a Komplete Audio 6, which should carry audio through USB, and also be powered by it.

To get all the MIDI inputs to my PC, I was intending on using an 8x8 MIDI in and out block from midiplus, which has 8 inputs and outputs, and has a USB 3.0 port to connect it to the PC.

Would all of this be compatible with Reaper? What should I know ahead of time, before I start buying any of this? I would love to be able to use all of this with my favorite DAW, and would be very grateful, if someone would be able to help me with all of my questions here. I'm pretty new to all of this, and want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can. I think I need reabanks in order to get the hardware working all correctly, but I am not 100% sure.
Infomaniac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
LugNut
Human being with feelings

Hi,

I use a variety of hw synths with reaper. No problem.
I have and use the midi plus 8x8.....excellent choice.
The komplete audio interface I don't have, but if it has asio drivers,there should be NP.
Nice choice of hw there, except maybe the 880 unless you get it real cheap.
And the kurzweil....hmmmm...I had the original k2000..wasn't impressed..sold it. Since you like romplers, may I suggest you look for a korg to round things out. Like an m50, triton something like that. Even the trinity can hold its own.

Stuff I bought brand new that's still with me...
D50....Jv1080 fully exp..jd990 with vintage synth....tr rack...jd800....Yamaha EX5....TG 77.....motif6....Roland JX305.....Korg MS2000....theres more but I wouldn't recommend tho.
Then I ran out of money:-) And I'm using em till the wheels fall off:-)

GL with your new addictions,er, I mean synths.

As to reabanks, they are used to select sounds in reaper instead of directly on the hw by using program changes. Not nessacary but can be use full.

Hit me up if you have any questions

BTW..what mixer?

Edit..nm what I said about the 880.....I misrembered.
Annnd..I must be smoking too much:-) the 2500 is much better than the k2000...nice setup,sorry.

Last edited by LugNut; 06-22-2021 at 06:23 AM.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote