Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-12-2021, 03:41 AM   #1
stueycaster
Human being with feelings

Default Extremely loud buzz while recording.

When I try to record I get a really loud buzz from my headphones. I took a screenshot of Reaper after I've stopped the recording. Notice there is a drum track from MT Power Drumkit. If I try to record without the drum track there's no buzz but I get no sound recording. Here are a few details about the situation.

My computer as an Asus ROG Zephyrus M15. It uses Realtek sound. It also has an issue with automatically sleeping which I don't know if it's related or not. There are these gaming features which I suspect of messing with things. I'm no gamer I'm just addicted to having the fastest laptop I can get. All I do with it is music and online jamming.

My USB interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. For this try the only input device was a dynamic microphone.

When I have my guitar kit and vocal mic hooked to it the sound in my headphones is great whether I'm mic'ing my amps, straight in from my pedal board or just the guitar.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled complete with deleting folders in Program files and Appdata > Roaming before I reinstalled.

In Reaper the only third party VST installed is the drum kit.

I don't know what other info to offer.

Last edited by stueycaster; 06-12-2021 at 03:58 AM.
stueycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:58 AM   #2
uncleswede

Hi,

Can't see any image :-(

Some more basic info you could give us is:

- version of Reaper
- OS version
- Are you using the Focusrite ASIO audio driver?

You wrote that when you 'record without the drum track there's no buzz but I get no sound recording'. That sounds a bit odd. Can we drill into that a bit more?

- can you post up images of your track view (TCP) and Routing Matrix window?
(https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:58 AM   #3
ivansc

Have you tried to set up your laptop in accordance with the recommendations in the free user guide and the free video tutorials at reaper.fm?
Also, a VERY significant, download and read the free setup document called Glitch Free (google it ) and also download, install & run resplendence.com`s latency checker. It will check your system setup and let you know if you have any system issues when doing multitrack audio/MIDI recording.

As a general rule of thumb, if you really want to get serious about recording, treat yourself to a decent AUDIO/MIDI interface. There are plenty of inexpensive ones out there that will really improve the performance of your laptop in terms of recording and mixing.

If you follow all this advice, YES it is boring but it will only need doing once if you do it properly & will transform your laptop`s A/M performance.

In the meantime, welcome to the forums!

P.S. If you really need to upload a picture or video to the forums, do so using a link to an online video/photo storage account.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:19 AM   #4
stueycaster

Yeah I screwed up. I forgot to attach my screenshot. My reaper version is 6.28. I got the same results with 6.29. Windows is the latest Win10 (version 21H1 - OS Build 19043-1052). I just found out it was on Wave out rather than ASIO. I'll try that and see if it works right.

The thing is I have got some decent recordings in the past. But somewhere down the line things went bad.

Last edited by stueycaster; 06-12-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:27 AM   #5
stueycaster

Ok, the ASIO thing fixed it. Funny how things work right when you set it up right, huh. Thanks a lot guys. I've been driving myself crazy for a couple days now. You saved my sanity.

Oops, I didn't notice the request to use a hosting site before I posted it. I'll remember next time. It could be removed since I don't need it now. I'll look into it.

Yeah, I removed it.

Last edited by stueycaster; 06-12-2021 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:03 AM   #6
ivansc

Welcome to the wonderful world of "experts" who learned what they know by messing up & having other folks show them how to fix it."

Pass it on, indeed.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of "experts" who learned what they know by messing up & having other folks show them how to fix it."

Pass it on, indeed.
Yeah, no one wants to be the surgeon's first go!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote