Old 06-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default Some Creative Feedback, PLEASE ...

Here's the latest track of a Side-project I'm in .

Any comments are appreciated .

I'm quite happy with the mix and master at this point .
But as always, there's a meaning for a new kind of an approach .

That said I'm all ears and eyes . (((:::

- BOne -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/160e...ew?usp=sharing
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
zeekat

Track itself is great, dist guitar tone is pretty grating tho. Super harsh(what's the chain for it?), it kinda devours rest of the mix. If I Was Doing It(tm) I'd seek something gentler on the ears and double it (I assume rtm guitar bit is not doubled as it sounds pretty center).
Old 06-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Track itself is great, dist guitar tone is pretty grating tho. Super harsh(what's the chain for it?), it kinda devours rest of the mix. If I Was Doing It(tm) I'd seek something gentler on the ears and double it (I assume rtm guitar bit is not doubled as it sounds pretty center).
Thanks for your comments !!!

Well in fact the rhythm guitars are doubled . The main rhythm gtrs are
panned ;
1 --> 50 % Left
2 --> 50 % Right

The left gtr is recorded with the neck pick-up and the right one's done with the bridge - pu . The guitar used was a Harley Benton DIY Telecaster, that has got a Seymour Duncan - bridge pu and the neck of which I just don't know or can't recall.

There's also coming some rhythm gtr parts, that were recorded with the bridge - pu ;
they come in straight center .

the distorted lead gtrs, that come in after the acoustic part are also panned .

I put kinda heavy top-end eq on the gtrs c'os I tried to get rid off the enormous humming I got from the gtrs . I checked this by muting the gtrs and soloing the bass gtr and the drums and I got pretty sure it was c'os of those gtrs.

Perhaps I should do some low-mid range cutting instead of just boosting the high-end ?!?

For anyone analyzing this work in progress .

The Drums are MIDI-loops coming through SSD 5 . They've got some UAD 1176LN (Fat Drums - preset) and Audio Assault Aural Reverb (Reverb type - Drum Hall) .

Bass Gtr is a Harley Benton Jazz-Bass Clone, with very old strings .
It goes through Waves CLA Mix Hub (Bass Amp 1 - preset) and Line 6 Ampeg VST as the amp sim . Finally the Bass Gtrs (The amped one and a DI - track) go through Waves L1 - Limiter - with a preset I created myself .

For the electric gtrs I used Audio Assault's ReAmp Studio - Ampsim, that I find extremely good, but I've yet not tried to dive in very deep into it . All that IR-stuff and so on .

Acoustic gtrs were recorded with a Harley Benton - electro acoustic.
It goes through Line 6 POD Farm 2 . Some piezo-acoustic stuff, compression, chorusing and reverb .

For the pads, synth lead and other such I used NI Kontakt, Air Music Tech Hybrid and Xpand .

Finally on the master buss there's Waves Aphex Exciter, AR TG Mastering, Loud Max by Thomas Mundt and on the top of the chain Waves L3 UltraMaximizer .

The whole catering was mixed with AKG K271 MkII Headphones and finally "fine-tuned" through PreSonus Eris Active Nearfield Monitors .

Not such an pro- or optimal - set-up, but it's what I've got on my hands . (((:::
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
zeekat

Looks like I'm too used to always pan 100% when doubling, anything else sounds too centered

Pickups are single coils, or some hummy humbuckers? IMO cranking the high end doesnt help anyway, ended up kinda black metal(unless youre into this kind of sound). On the other hand, old bass strings and SVT model off POD farm is the exact way I made most of my basslines, huge fan.