Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Reason
Human being with feelings

Default Guitar Wiring questions - Two humbuckers, two mini toggles, two tones, one volume

I want to wire my dual humbucker guitar as follows:
Each pickup will have a three-way (DPDT, on-on-on) mini toggle to allow for series/split/parallel. Seymour Duncan provides a nice diagram for this, so I'm comfortable wiring up these switches. After that is where I need help.

The SD diagram says that if there's a master volume control on the guitar, then the toggles would connect to the pickup selector switch. That means that it would need to go to tones next; if it went to the volume, I wouldn't have individual tone controls.

So that would go:
PU1 > mini1 > selector > tone1 \ master volume > output
PU2 > mini2 > selector > tone2 / master volume > output

Should that work? Is there a better way?

Also as I understand it, putting the tone before the volume creates some interdependencies on how it sounds - anyone know how noticeable that would be? I like volume to control volume and tone to control tone.

Thanks!
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
serr

The tone control simply fades cap from signal to ground into the circuit to attenuate high frequencies. Wired 'backwards' as it were so turning the tone control down fades that cap to ground into the circuit. It's attenuating high end when turned down and effectively out of the circuit when turned up.

So...

Whenever you have two or more pickups in circuit together, any tone knob attached to any of those pickups would end up in the circuit. When you use a switch (like a Strat for example), you can leave a tone knob "preset" to come back to. But any pickups selected together will respond to any of the tone knobs in the circuit.

So...

If you aren't using a switch or independent volumes, two tone knobs would end up being redundant.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
Reason

OK, good to know. I am using the selector switch, though, and having the tone "preset" is the intent. Still doable? Or should I try to find the real estate for a LP layout (plus the mini toggles)?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The tone control simply fades cap from signal to ground into the circuit to attenuate high frequencies.
Actually, for most of the turn of the T pot, it's really reducing the R in the RL LPF from the inductance of the pickup. The cap actually kind of stops that from going all the way to 0 at low frequencies, limiting how far the cutoff can go downward. There's some resonant interaction between the cap and the inductor at very low frequencies, but mostly the cap just stops it from going all the way to silence.

Quote:
Whenever you have two or more pickups in circuit together, any tone knob attached to any of those pickups would end up in the circuit.
This is true, but it's pretty common to see two tones. Strats and LPs both have them, so somebody must use them.

The thing about which side of the V the T comes kind of only matters when the V is turned down, but this would end up as "modern" wiring, the same as strat, LP, et al, and should work as expected by most.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote