Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Evertschut
Human being with feelings

Default Samson Graphite 49 not sending midi notes to Reaper

Hi I've recently got myself this (second hand) Samson Graphite midi keyboard/ controller. Reaper recognizes it and I have selected it as midi input and output. So far so good. The keyboard is working: I can see all sorts of information on the display and all the functions seem to work. BUT there is no midi note or CC being triggered when I play the keyboard. There is no data being transmitted according to the display, and Reaper is not registering anything either. I know this thing works. Just before I bought it the previous owner had it hooked up to a laptop running Abelton (I think) and it was working fine. It seems I'm missing something (probably obvious to any one but me ).
Evertschut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
b2001

What port # is set on keyboard?
Using midi out (if so is local switch set on?) or usb?
This is all i could see offhand looking at user manual...

Is the keyboard in performance mode?

It sounds like a setup problem with the keyboard, but...

What are all the input settings on the track you are trying to record midi notes to?

Last edited by b2001; 05-17-2021 at 07:16 PM.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:49 AM   #3
bigjoe

i had a Graphite 49 and i used it for 4 years in reaper.

First thing first, have you enabled the midi port in reaper in the preferences?
You have to set the input on ENABLE in the midi devices tab.

Since Graphite uses MORE than one midi port, be sure to enable the one called GRAPHITE 49, not the ones called MIDI2. MIDI3 ecc... Those are for Mackie Universal Control.

Also be sure to set the track input to MIDI and select "All Channels" if you don't know the channel your Graphite is set to transmitt.

Because was previously owned by another person, maybe he changed some defaults (as i did with mine).

If you want you can recall the factory preset by pressing the preset button and loading the very first one (i believe it's called graphite)
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:03 AM   #4
Evertschut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post

Since Graphite uses MORE than one midi port, be sure to enable the one called GRAPHITE 49, not the ones called MIDI2. MIDI3 ecc... Those are for Mackie Universal Control.

Also be sure to set the track input to MIDI and select "All Channels" if you don't know the channel your Graphite is set to transmit.

Because was previously owned by another person, maybe he changed some defaults (as i did with mine).

If you want you can recall the factory preset by pressing the preset button and loading the very first one (i believe it's called graphite)
Thanks fot the tips. I had used the MIDI 2 etc ports. Changing it to 'Samson Graphite 49' however lead to this message:

The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
SAMSON Graphite 49
The following MIDI outputs could not be opened:
SAMSON Graphite 49

I also tried resetting the Graphite to preset 1. With no effect. It just doesn't seem to want to send midi notes.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:48 AM   #5
Evertschut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
What port # is set on keyboard?
Using midi out (if so is local switch set on?) or usb?
This is all i could see offhand looking at user manual...

Is the keyboard in performance mode?

It sounds like a setup problem with the keyboard, but...

What are all the input settings on the track you are trying to record midi notes to?
Thanks for looking it up in the manual! I tried that too, but couldn't find anything.... The port is set to 1, I'm using USB to connect to my computer. Ah, it was indeed switched to local! Now it should work..... but didn't.

It's not sending out any midi messages whether in local or USB mode. Except the control messages from the sliders and knobs. They are working (though I'm not seeing anything responding in Reaper even if I enable the MIDI 2 etc. ports in Reaper and chose Mackey control in the control surface options menu).

Two aspects seem strange: Reaper is not recognising the standard Samson Graphite midi output and the Graphite is not sending any midi output. I'll have to check if there is a Graphite forum that may know the answer.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #6
Evertschut

Default update....

I tried an advice on some other forum, setting the Reaper port to MIDI 5 and output to MIDI 2. Then choosing Mackey control in the Graphite pre-set menu. There is now at least some response, albeit a strange one. There are still no midi notes being sent from the keyboard, but some midi messages are coming through resulting in pretty strange behaviour. The last 3 Function keys are sending out very low notes and the first of the sliders a very high note. No other response to be seen.....

I tried to find a Graphite forum, it just isn't there. The Samson support is pretty useless to say the least.

It seemed like the perfect midi keyboard/ controller for me....
Old 05-20-2021, 03:46 AM   #7
Evertschut

Default more update

There is more response: the DAW stop and start, rewind functions are also sending midi notes. I can see it in the display: its has code M under mode which means ' momentary' I understand, the other option being ' toggle'. That sounds more appropriate for such buttons. So it seems like my control knobs sliders and buttons are sending notes but the keyboard is not sending anything. The mystery continues.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
vdubreeze

Just for the heck of it, pull out Reaper's Virtual Keyboard (under View) and with everything set to all channels see what happens in that same track that wasn't getting midi.

Also, what instrument was inserted on the midi track? Even though setting the track input to all channels *should* get midi into it however it is set up, try creating a new instrument track with a simple synth plugin, input at all channels and see if the Virtual Keyboard plays notes when the Samson doesn't, which would point to a Samson set up. If there's no response from the Virtual Keyboard either the issue would be something else in the setup other than the Samson.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
Evertschut

Default Case solved, though I don't relly know how...

Well I finally got it all to work. I don't know what I did wrong before (because as far as I know I already tried this combination of settings before). All I know is what setting I'm using now that works.
I resetted the Graphite to factory reset (maybe that didn't work first time I tried), and used the Mackey control preset (10). In Reaper I used the Samson Graphite 49 midi input and output, not the MIDI 2 3, 4 or 5 input. Reaper did not recognise this setting before (see earlier post) but now for some reason it did (I'm guessing the Graphite reset).

Oh by the way the factory reset is reached via setup/ reset (keycontrol) / switch it from 'reset no' to reset yes /press enter button (it's all in the manual).

Anyway, thought I'd let you know, maybe someone can use this info. It's difficult to find any on this midi controller, aparently not a lot of Graphite users with Reaper.

I had my first expierence playing it today. It has a lot of control options, but not sure I like the playability of the keys. They're rather 'springy'. Oh well I'm not a keyboard player anyway. It'll do for my limited purposes.