Old 05-07-2021, 01:47 AM   #1
Groove On
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on Odroid N2+ (ARMv8)

Hi,

Just installed Reaper on my Odroid N2+ (ARMv8/4GB) and so far everything looks good. Brand new to Reaper and I'm excited to see what tricks it can do for live performance.

I mainly use the Odroid N2+ as a Pianoteq sound module, but hopefully it can do a bit more with Reaper. After distro-hopping, I settled on Armbian. It had the best out-of-the-box performance of all the ARM distributions I tested. Pianoteq runs very clean with decent settings on both ALSA and JACK.

The onboard sound chip is quite good, and has better low-latency than USB devices (it runs on the I2S bus); but for backup, I also have an SSL2 and Mackie MDB-USB.

After applying most of regularly advised audio performance tweaks, I'm now looking at re-compiling the Armbian kernel with any advised settings and eventually creating a distribution optimized for audio on the N2+ - mainly so I can quickly re-load the OS if and when I screw it up.

Questions:
1. 1000Hz System Timer - does this have any benefits for DAWS/Reaper? I know it's good for MIDI (like Pianoteq), but I'm wondering if it helps or hurts the performance of a DAW like Reaper.

2. If I'm running multiple instruments in Reaper can I use ALSA for output or will I need to use JACK?

3. What are the pros and cons of using multiple soundcards? I was thinking of using one soundcard for input, and a 2nd for output.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Groove On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:53 AM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !!
Great !!!
Please keep us informed about your proceedings...

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
Glennbo

ALSA is the native audio system in Linux, so unless you need to make connections outside of REAPER, which is what JACK can do, then ALSA is the preferred audio system.

As for dual audio devices, I would expect that a single multiplex device would be more efficient. Fewer things for the OS to keep up with.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:04 AM   #4
4duhwinnn

I've used usb connections from Fender amps, and IK usb guitar interfaces
with an maudio brand pci soundcard for output, without issues. But each interface combo will have to be tested on it's merits. There can be noise issues among the myriad i/o configurations people use, made worse by the power sources, power lines, broadcast towers, and nearby machinery. Pretty sure a straight alsa config is quieter in some of those bad-luck situations. I almost always use qjackctl myself, because I need a simple visual patchbay for things outside of Reaper. But as Glenbo says, if there's a strictly Reaper session at hand, alsa is all that's needed.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove On View Post
Hi,

Just installed Reaper on my Odroid N2+

The onboard sound chip is quite good, and has better low-latency than USB devices (it runs on the I2S bus); but for backup...
Really? Interesting. I suppose it's stereo out only, or is there an analog input too? Or SPI input?

Welcome!