Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #41
DeBased
Human being with feelings

It arrived today (X-Touch full version) and I love it. I find judging track volumes with it is way better, somehow focusing on a screen and pixel-adjusting automation gets in the way of being in the moment. Didn't realise how much!

So I've just tried the built-in MC support, to see the limitations. Ready to try CLI now, would be great if the scribble colours could be made to work.

BTW I had the AMD Ryzen Code 10 USB bug, but found the recent 1.21 firmware fixed that. I wonder if they added the colour SysEx to MC mode. Will have a play ...

Last edited by DeBased; 02-14-2021 at 04:29 AM.
DeBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #42
DeBased

.. OK so the buttons have various colours. But can they be changed, at least theoretically? Are they RGB LEDs or fixed colour?
Old 02-26-2021, 11:53 PM   #43
bcab17

Before buying the X-Touch One, I've been researching as many articles and videos that I can find regarding it's integration with Reaper. After reading this entire thread, I think I have a pretty good understanding of what Klinke can and can't do. My question is, do the download and install instructions at the start of this thread (by Sofia) apply to the single-fader X-Touch One, too?
bcab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 AM   #44
Sofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
Before buying the X-Touch One, I've been researching as many articles and videos that I can find regarding it's integration with Reaper. After reading this entire thread, I think I have a pretty good understanding of what Klinke can and can't do. My question is, do the download and install instructions at the start of this thread (by Sofia) apply to the single-fader X-Touch One, too?
Sincerely, i don't know! But i can help you with a littke research
Sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #45
Sofia

Quote:
Ok. I don't think that MCU applies to the x-touch one, but a configuration is implemented in CSI, so take a look at that. I think that you can use your device as MIDI and assign it to the Actions of Reaper.
Sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #46
bcab17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
Ok. I don't think that MCU applies to the x-touch one, but a configuration is implemented in CSI, so take a look at that. I think that you can use your device as MIDI and assign it to the Actions of Reaper.
Thank you Sofia. A lot of this goes over my head (I am not well-versed in computers...writing/editing code, etc.). That's why your step by step process was so interesting to me. As I understand it, applying Klinke to the X-Touch One is a bit easier for someone like me than CSI, which sounds pretty complicated.

Can you direct me to info on both Klinke and CSI, specifically how they would be used for x-touch and Reaper? I need to better understand these things.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #47
DeBased

just a headsup, I'm adding colour scribble strips for the X-touch to CSI. It's up and running (you can try it), but needs more work in other areas: https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...&postcount=768
Old 02-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #48
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by edding View Post
Thank you very much for your post. I've found this solution the best for now.
I have tried 3:
-MCU default by reaper
-CSI
-Klinke

The MCU Editor (Alt+PAN/SURROUND) just worth it to use this solution for now.

The only feature i miss is the ability to select a track in reaper with the mouse and becouse of this the surface can automatically scroll to show any change. If the surface is in a diffent channel bank you cannot see any feedback meanwhile you are manipulating tracks on reaper with the mouse.

MCU reaper default and CSI looks able to do it.

There is any way to address this using Klinke?
You must enable the "Follow Reaper" option for the Pan-/Action-Mode (press "Shift+Option" while you are in one of this modes and then you can change the setting with the VPots).
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #49
dronenb

Default XCtl No Longer Necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBased View Post
just a headsup, I'm adding colour scribble strips for the X-touch to CSI. It's up and running (you can try it), but needs more work in other areas: https://forums.cockos.com/showpost.p...&postcount=768
This is awesome, **BUT** with the 1.21 firmware update, it now has Ctl and CtlRel modes like the Extender units have. This means that you shouldn't have to use XCtl for it to work. There's documentation in the extender quick start guide for sysex messages for the color in ctrl mode.
dronenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #50
DeBased

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronenb View Post
This is awesome, **BUT** with the 1.21 firmware update, it now has Ctl and CtlRel modes like the Extender units have. This means that you shouldn't have to use XCtl for it to work. There's documentation in the extender quick start guide for sysex messages for the color in ctrl mode.
I missed the new XCTL/CTL and XCTL/REL modes. Can't find any info on them, do you have a link? But they don't work over USB either (option not available in setup).

However you mentioned the CTRL (not XCTL) modes. I haven't used those yet, but I thought they are modes where you can set your own MIDI messages?
Old 03-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #51
DeBased

Quote:
There's documentation in the extender quick start guide for sysex messages for the color in ctrl mode.
Do you have a link to that? The links I found for it in the past were all dead, and the only other Extender PDF I found didn't list midi message details. I've got it all running, but maybe there's more info in there.

EDIT: tell a lie, it does list them. madre mia.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #52
dronenb

Yeah, there is NO indication on the release notes for the firmware update that indicates this feature exists, nor is there any documentation about it. It was new with 1.21. I discovered the feature entirely by accident yesterday and spent some time trying to figure out what those modes were. The only info I could find was in that PDF you already found.

I feel like the XCtl work is still valuable - having more control options always beats having fewer. I had been meaning to do exactly what you did but hadn't taken the time... But this is way more convenient obviously since you don't need a MIDI interface. I'm assuming you modified the source code for the csurf plugin to get the color stuff to work. Do you have it up on Github or anything at all? I saw you posted the DLL but I'm on macOS :/

The Ctrl and CtrlRel are the same other than the encoders are relative in CtrlRel rather than absolute, so I feel like the CtrlRel mode is the way to go. It works over USB, RTP-MIDI, and MIDI.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #53
DeBased

Quote:
Yeah, there is NO indication on the release notes for the firmware update that indicates this feature exists, nor is there any documentation about it. It was new with 1.21. I discovered the feature entirely by accident yesterday and spent some time trying to figure out what those modes were. The only info I could find was in that PDF you already found.
Roger. XCtrl/MCU apparently splits some controls to MCU messages, and some to XCtrl, and separates them to different ports, so that's probably the same for the XCtrl/Ctl modes. I haven't played with any of those as XCtrl is mostly identical to MCU, so it was easier to just implement the differences, ditto for users who can move their MCU configs fairly easily to XCtrl when it's ready. And you don't need to wire up two ports like the hybrid modes.

Quote:
I feel like the XCtl work is still valuable - having more control options always beats having fewer. I had been meaning to do exactly what you did but hadn't taken the time... But this is way more convenient obviously since you don't need a MIDI interface.
The problem with CTRL modes (according to the PDF) is that the faders seem to be only 7bit there, that's a dealbreaker if true.

I'm about to implement the network XCtrl protocol, as that has the convenience of USB (single cable) but allows massive cable runs, and (assuming the Behringer firmware is capable) should have way more bandwidth than traditional MIDI. That would also allow higher update rates which might be valuable, and may reduce latency.

Quote:
I'm assuming you modified the source code for the csurf plugin to get the color stuff to work. Do you have it up on Github or anything at all? I saw you posted the DLL but I'm on macOS :/
I seem to have full CSI functionality up and running in XCtrl mode (I'm new to CSI so there might be something I've overlooked). Most controls use identical MIDI as MCU, except for the scribble strip colours, the encoder LEDs and the time display (the latter are both controlled per LED, allowing custom display schemes and a limited selection of text characters).

I haven't released source code yet, as I'm adding some fun new features that I haven't announced (everything got slowed down by a major rebuild of my studio and audio PCs, still on-going). But I will offer the code to Geoff for inclusion when it's ready.

Last edited by DeBased; 03-18-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #54
dronenb

Quote:
The problem with CTRL modes (according to the PDF) is that the faders seem to be only 7bit there, that's a dealbreaker if true.
Ah, that's true. Didn't think about that.

Quote:

I'm about to implement the network XCtrl protocol, as that has the convenience of USB (single cable) but allows massive cable runs, and (assuming the Behringer firmware is capable) should have way more bandwidth than traditional MIDI. That would also allow higher update rates which might be valuable, and may reduce latency.
This link may be helpful in getting some of the features of XCtl working over the network. Just a fairly simple CPP project that I tested at one point and seems to work fine. https://github.com/pythag/x-touch-xctl
Old 03-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #55
DeBased

Quote:
This link may be helpful in getting some of the features of XCtl working over the network. Just a fairly simple CPP project that I tested at one point and seems to work fine. https://github.com/pythag/x-touch-xctl
Thanks, I have everything working via the DIN MIDI's, so I only need to implement the network transmission stuff. Nice that someone made a library though, that opens some interesting use cases.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #56
DeBased

does anyone see a problem with enabling double-tapping of faders and encoders to reset to the default value (as with mice)?
Old 03-23-2021, 01:25 AM   #57
Win Conway

Quote:
does anyone see a problem with enabling double-tapping of faders and encoders to reset to the default value (as with mice)?
Yeah that could get finnicky with takeover when writing automation using the faders.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #58
DeBased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Yeah that could get finnicky with takeover when writing automation using the faders.
how about (say) Shift + Tap?
Old 03-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #59
Win Conway

Sorry I only really have interest in the extenders, I just thought it might cause issues.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #60
DeBased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Sorry I only really have interest in the extenders, I just thought it might cause issues.
cool, I'll try out a few ideas.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #61
Perry

Default X touch plugins

Hi just got my X touch.

Is there possible to assign faders to plugin with midi learning?
Right now the faders already are assigned to variables when I go in to plug in mode, it would be nice to be able to reassign.
Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #62
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums.

There are multiple ways to attach a Control Surface Device like the XTouch to Reaper, including what is natively provided with Reaper, the "CSI" Reaper extension and the ReaLearn plugin. Any has it's pros and cons.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #63
bcab17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Welcome to the Reaper forums.

There are multiple ways to attach a Control Surface Device like the XTouch to Reaper, including what is natively provided with Reaper, the "CSI" Reaper extension and the ReaLearn plugin. Any has it's pros and cons.
-Michael
Would you mind expanding on this (just a bit)? I have an X-Touch on order, and as a relative newcomer to all of this, I would like to start simple...for any buttons that don't function "out of the box", I think using midi mapping in Reaper to assign actions to unused buttons would be the simplest path for a start. Does that make sense...or am I missing something?

The other approach, from everything I've read, would be to download and install Klinke. I don't fully understand how it works or which functions it adds to the X-Touch, but it sounds a lot less daunting to implement than CSI (editing code is pretty much over my head).

I'm just trying to find some advice as to a logical starting point for a "noob"...that is, beyond just using the X-Touch out of the box.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #64
Nos402

I just got my Xtouch today so I'm a total newb, but from my experimentation here's what I've found so far:

Start with the Channel 1 "Select" pressed to enter setup mode. Select MCU, and USB.

At first mine was not recognized by USB. From Googling I found that it's apparently SUPER common with AMD Ryzen chipsets and Motherboards. Mine shipped with 1.13 firmware. I found that there was a 1.21 firmware that fixed this issue. Of course since I couldn't connect it to my main computer I couldn't update it. Luckily I found it did connect to my laptop, so I updated the firmware (downloaded 1.21 from the Behringer website and downloaded "SendSX" to send the SysEx updated to the Xtouch after powering up the Xtouch with the "Display" button held to enter update mode and see current firmware version) and all was good!

Connected to my machine, went into Preferences>Control/OSC/Web in Reaper, added the "Mackie Control Universal" and selected the Xtouch as Midi Input and Midi Output.

Go into preferences>Track Control Panels and change the "Volume Fader Range" from +12 to +10. This will make the fader numbers match almost perfectly when adjusting faders.

Now from my experimentation here's my experience.
Things that work for me:
Volume faders (and move to match on screen changes)
Pan knobs
Rec, Solo, Mute, Select
Scribble strips show 6 characters of track name
SMPTE/Beats changes display between 7 different display formats. Time, Beats, SMPTE and some others I'm not exactly sure of.
Automation (Read, Write, Trim, Touch, Latch)
Save, Undo
Marker
Cycle (toggle repeat)
Click (Metronome on/off)
Transport controls (back/forward arrows seem to navigate markers if any)
Fader Bank (Moves faders by 8 tracks forward or backward, so 1-8 becomes 9-16)
Channel (Moves faders 1 track forward or backward, so 1-8 becomes 2-9)
Navigation arrows which can either scroll the screen left/right/up/down, or adjust horizontal/vertical zoom if you press the center Zoom button.
Jog wheel scrolls play head left and right. Larger scroll if you press "Scrub"

So far that's all I've got to work right out of the box.

Quote:
Would you mind expanding on this (just a bit)? I have an X-Touch on order, and as a relative newcomer to all of this, I would like to start simple...for any buttons that don't function "out of the box", I think using midi mapping in Reaper to assign actions to unused buttons would be the simplest path for a start. Does that make sense...or am I missing something?

The other approach, from everything I've read, would be to download and install Klinke. I don't fully understand how it works or which functions it adds to the X-Touch, but it sounds a lot less daunting to implement than CSI (editing code is pretty much over my head).

I'm just trying to find some advice as to a logical starting point for a "noob"...that is, beyond just using the X-Touch out of the box.

Thanks.
Nos402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #65
mschnell

Congrats.

"Mackie Control Universal" is the "low end" means of Control surface integration. There are much more sophisticated means like the "SCI" Reaper extension, if your needs might rise.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:21 PM   #66
Nos402

Interesting! Thanks, I'll check it out. I just went for the most basic "get it working out of the box" first but have been Googling trying to find resources to see what it was capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Congrats.

"Mackie Control Universal" is the "low end" means of Control surface integration. There are much more sophisticated means like the "SCI" Reaper extension, if your needs might rise.

-Michael
Old 04-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #67
maladie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos402 View Post
Interesting! Thanks, I'll check it out. I just went for the most basic "get it working out of the box" first but have been Googling trying to find resources to see what it was capable of.
Hey, also got one recently. It seems like out of the box it's a bit limited for example with the CSI. However, the beauty of it is it's possible to customize it exactly like you want instead of just having to conform to one way of using it. This makes it much more valuable, at least to me, since certain aspects of editing/mixing are much more important than others.
maladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:18 PM   #68
Nos402

I got it running with CSI just for fun an experimentation, and I mostly like it with whatever the default Xtouch layout is though it's taking a LOT of experimenting to figure out all the functions. I still can't figure out the bizarre "Select" button behavior and haven't even dipped my toes into understanding editing it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladie View Post
Hey, also got one recently. It seems like out of the box it's a bit limited for example with the CSI. However, the beauty of it is it's possible to customize it exactly like you want instead of just having to conform to one way of using it. This makes it much more valuable, at least to me, since certain aspects of editing/mixing are much more important than others.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #69
bcab17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladie View Post
Quote:
I got it running with CSI just for fun an experimentation, and I mostly like it with whatever the default Xtouch layout is though it's taking a LOT of experimenting to figure out all the functions. I still can't figure out the bizarre "Select" button behavior and haven't even dipped my toes into understanding editing it myself.
Congratulations on the new gear. Please keep us posted on how it's going...if you decide to try Klinke, DrivenByMoss...or take a deep dive into CSI.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #70
bcab17

Quote:
I just got my Xtouch today so I'm a total newb, but from my experimentation here's what I've found so far:

Start with the Channel 1 "Select" pressed to enter setup mode. Select MCU, and USB.

At first mine was not recognized by USB. From Googling I found that it's apparently SUPER common with AMD Ryzen chipsets and Motherboards. Mine shipped with 1.13 firmware. I found that there was a 1.21 firmware that fixed this issue. Of course since I couldn't connect it to my main computer I couldn't update it. Luckily I found it did connect to my laptop, so I updated the firmware (downloaded 1.21 from the Behringer website and downloaded "SendSX" to send the SysEx updated to the Xtouch after powering up the Xtouch with the "Display" button held to enter update mode and see current firmware version) and all was good!

Connected to my machine, went into Preferences>Control/OSC/Web in Reaper, added the "Mackie Control Universal" and selected the Xtouch as Midi Input and Midi Output.

Go into preferences>Track Control Panels and change the "Volume Fader Range" from +12 to +10. This will make the fader numbers match almost perfectly when adjusting faders.

Now from my experimentation here's my experience.
Things that work for me:
Volume faders (and move to match on screen changes)
Pan knobs
Rec, Solo, Mute, Select
Scribble strips show 6 characters of track name
SMPTE/Beats changes display between 7 different display formats. Time, Beats, SMPTE and some others I'm not exactly sure of.
Automation (Read, Write, Trim, Touch, Latch)
Save, Undo
Marker
Cycle (toggle repeat)
Click (Metronome on/off)
Transport controls (back/forward arrows seem to navigate markers if any)
Fader Bank (Moves faders by 8 tracks forward or backward, so 1-8 becomes 9-16)
Channel (Moves faders 1 track forward or backward, so 1-8 becomes 2-9)
Navigation arrows which can either scroll the screen left/right/up/down, or adjust horizontal/vertical zoom if you press the center Zoom button.
Jog wheel scrolls play head left and right. Larger scroll if you press "Scrub"

So far that's all I've got to work right out of the box.
"...and downloaded "SendSX"..."
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is "SendSX"? I've read so much about the X-Touch, and I don't recall anything about "SendSX".
Old 04-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #71
Nos402

That's just a small program for sending "SysEx" files which is what the firmware update is so to update your firmware you have to use some kind of program like that and that was the first one they listed so I just went with it.

Quote:
"...and downloaded "SendSX"..."
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is "SendSX"? I've read so much about the X-Touch, and I don't recall anything about "SendSX".
Old 04-15-2021, 12:27 AM   #72
Nos402

I have been diving into CSI trying to figure it all out. I already fixed one thing. Volume Nudge Up didn't work and I noticed in the BehringerXtouch.zon file it was because it had ""_ZENAKIOS_NUDGEITEMVOLUP" instead of "_XENAKIOS_NUDGEITEMVOLUP." I also added Control+Select to "TrackSelect" so I could select multiple non-adjacent tracks. I also mapped the unused "Track" button to "_XENAKIOS_RESETTRACKVOLANDPAN1" so I could easily set a selected track back to 0db (I wanted to just reset the volume, but the only command I could find was the SWS Extension command to reset volume and pan).

I also commented out the two "OnTrackSelection" commands at the top to keep it on the Home screen when selecting track.

Also I never change my stereo width so I'd rather have the rotary knob change from Pan to Volume when I push it so I can see the exact volume setting and make finer adjustments maybe.
but after reading the CSI Wiki I don't think this is possible as the "MCUTrackPan" automatically toggles between Pan and Pan Width.

Quote:
Congratulations on the new gear. Please keep us posted on how it's going...if you decide to try Klinke, DrivenByMoss...or take a deep dive into CSI.

Last edited by Nos402; 04-15-2021 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #73
bcab17

Quote:
I have been diving into CSI trying to figure it all out. I already fixed one thing. Volume Nudge Up didn't work and I noticed in the BehringerXtouch.zon file it was because it had ""_ZENAKIOS_NUDGEITEMVOLUP" instead of "_XENAKIOS_NUDGEITEMVOLUP." I also added Control+Select to "TrackSelect" so I could select multiple non-adjacent tracks. I also mapped the unused "Track" button to "_XENAKIOS_RESETTRACKVOLANDPAN1" so I could easily set a selected track back to 0db (I wanted to just reset the volume, but the only command I could find was the SWS Extension command to reset volume and pan).

I also commented out the two "OnTrackSelection" commands at the top to keep it on the Home screen when selecting track.

Also I never change my stereo width so I'd rather have the rotary knob change from Pan to Volume when I push it so I can see the exact volume setting and make finer adjustments maybe.
but after reading the CSI Wiki I don't think this is possible as the "MCUTrackPan" automatically toggles between Pan and Pan Width.
Thanks so much for sharing details like this. It's very helpful! You're using CSI and making changes...that was quick and impressive. Are you a programmer or does understanding and editing scripts like this come easy to you? I mean, how did you know about commenting out "Ontrackselection" commands? It all sounds like a foreign language to me.

You mentioned the BehringerX-Touch.zon file. Is this sort of an X-Touch configuration that is included when installing CSI into Reaper?
Old 04-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #74
Nos402

I have a strange talent for reverse engineering things. I'm not a programmer but I do all my own websites and so to get things like I want I look at the PHP template files and just sort of figure out and understand how it all works.

Same here. I started at the Wiki for CSI which explained that there's basically 2 important files, the .mst which defines the actual capabilities of the surface (by defining what buttons, lights, etc. the surface has) and the .zon files which dictate the actual functions of each button, etc. The .mst file was of no use to me as it was just incomprehensible code but the .zon file is very easy to read and if nothing else, is a GREAT place to look if you're wondering what functions each button uses. If you're using CSI, then you likely already had to follow the installation instruction which include finding your Reaper Resource file. In there there's CSI>Zones>BehringerXtouch>BehringerXtouch.zon which I then edit using Notepad++ (you can use any text editor like Notepad or whatever).

I have dabbled in enough coding (mainly HTML, CSS, and reverse engineering PHP and other things to bend them to my will) to recognize that "/" in front of something makes it a "comment" that isn't processed by the program (and in fact the .zon file includes some commented out sections already) and once I sort of understood how everything was working together and saw that bit at the top, I knew that seemed like the bit that was changing the screen on track selection.

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing details like this. It's very helpful! You're using CSI and making changes...that was quick and impressive. Are you a programmer or does understanding and editing scripts like this come easy to you? I mean, how did you know about commenting out "Ontrackselection" commands? It all sounds like a foreign language to me.

You mentioned the BehringerX-Touch.zon file. Is this sort of an X-Touch configuration that is included when installing CSI into Reaper?
Old 04-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #75
bcab17

Quote:
I have a strange talent for reverse engineering things. I'm not a programmer but I do all my own websites and so to get things like I want I look at the PHP template files and just sort of figure out and understand how it all works.

Same here. I started at the Wiki for CSI which explained that there's basically 2 important files, the .mst which defines the actual capabilities of the surface (by defining what buttons, lights, etc. the surface has) and the .zon files which dictate the actual functions of each button, etc. The .mst file was of no use to me as it was just incomprehensible code but the .zon file is very easy to read and if nothing else, is a GREAT place to look if you're wondering what functions each button uses. If you're using CSI, then you likely already had to follow the installation instruction which include finding your Reaper Resource file. In there there's CSI>Zones>BehringerXtouch>BehringerXtouch.zon which I then edit using Notepad++ (you can use any text editor like Notepad or whatever).

I have dabbled in enough coding (mainly HTML, CSS, and reverse engineering PHP and other things to bend them to my will) to recognize that "/" in front of something makes it a "comment" that isn't processed by the program (and in fact the .zon file includes some commented out sections already) and once I sort of understood how everything was working together and saw that bit at the top, I knew that seemed like the bit that was changing the screen on track selection.
Thanks. I don't have any experience or confidence in writing/editing code, but your description of the .zon file makes me think I might be able to work with it.

I've watched several CSI tutorials that helped explain some things, but it still looked way over my head. I will take my lead from you and start reading through the Wiki before the X-Touch arrives. At the very least, if it still looks too confusing to me, it may help me decide to start out a little easier by using the MCU Klinke extension (instead of diving into the uncharted waters of CSI).
Old 04-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #76
Nos402

Does anyone know if there's any way to select a specific input with a command or shortcut? I can't find any in the list in Reaper and I figure it's not possible since every interface is going to have different inputs/outputs, but was hoping there was some way to just select "Input 1" or "Input 2" regardless of what they were specifically to each interface.

More CSI fun: Today I mapped Shift, Option, Control, and Alt + "MidiTracks" to be the 4 different MIDI record modes (Overdub, Replace, Touch-Replace, and Latch-Replace), and the "Inputs" button to open the Routing window. I also switch the "Show Master FX" to the "Flip" button since that wasn't being used and is just above the Master fader so that made more sense to me. Added Option+"Click" to toggle pre-roll record, Shift-Stop as "Pause," and changed the FF/Rewind buttons to the Reaper "FF/Rewind a little bit" which makes them jump a little further than the default FF/Rewind CSI commands which seem to basically be the same as a jog wheel turn so it seemed more useful to have a couple of different amounts you could travel. Still trying to figure out of there's a way to use the "scrub" button to change the wheel to different increments as well, which would be cool. Having a blast customizing it all to my liking! CSI rocks with the Xtouch!

Last edited by Nos402; 04-22-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #77
bcab17

Quote:
Does anyone know if there's any way to select a specific input with a command or shortcut? I can't find any in the list in Reaper and I figure it's not possible since every interface is going to have different inputs/outputs, but was hoping there was some way to just select "Input 1" or "Input 2" regardless of what they were specifically to each interface.

More CSI fun: Today I mapped Shift, Option, Control, and Alt + "MidiTracks" to be the 4 different MIDI record modes (Overdub, Replace, Touch-Replace, and Latch-Replace), and the "Inputs" button to open the Routing window. I also switch the "Show Master FX" to the "Flip" button since that wasn't being used and is just above the Master fader so that made more sense to me. Added Option+"Click" to toggle pre-roll record, Shift-Stop as "Pause," and changed the FF/Rewind buttons to the Reaper "FF/Rewind a little bit" which makes them jump a little further than the default FF/Rewind CSI commands which seem to basically be the same as a jog wheel turn so it seemed more useful to have a couple of different amounts you could travel. Still trying to figure out of there's a way to use the "scrub" button to change the wheel to different increments as well, which would be cool. Having a blast customizing it all to my liking! CSI rocks with the Xtouch!
This sounds amazing...great config ideas for the X-Touch. Would you mind maybe posting a screenshot or two showing some of these customizations? Just seeing how and where you altered the scripts for these buttons and modifiers would be a huge help for a beginner like myself.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #78
Nos402

Here is my current .zon file (all changes are noted in the file as well). Uploaded as a .txt file. You can just read it or, change the extension to .zon to use it in CSI.

Quote:
This sounds amazing...great config ideas for the X-Touch. Would you mind maybe posting a screenshot or two showing some of these customizations? Just seeing how and where you altered the scripts for these buttons and modifiers would be a huge help for a beginner like myself.
Attached Files
File Type: txt BehringerXTouch.txt (11.6 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #79
bcab17

Quote:
Here is my current .zon file (all changes are noted in the file as well). Uploaded as a .txt file. You can just read it or, change the extension to .zon to use it in CSI.
That was fast! Thanks so much. This is the kind of thing I was asking about earlier. For beginners like myself, being able to see this REALLY helps...and to be able to simply change the file extension to .zon and place it in the right folder, so you can try it out is awesome. THANK YOU!!!

Now for the but...when I open the text file, all the text is unformatted. One line just runs into the next in a horizontal fashion, making it difficult for me to make any sense of it. I mean, it doesn't look like images of a .zon file that I have seen.

Would this still work, unformatted, by changing the extension to .zon?

Would you be able to screenshot your .zon file or save it as a PDF so I can see which line of text goes where, and I'll rearrange the text file to match the image.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #80
Nos402

Oh weird! When I open it it's all still formatted and laid out exactly as I had it!

Attached as a PDF.

Quote:
That was fast! Thanks so much. This is the kind of thing I was asking about earlier. For beginners like myself, being able to see this REALLY helps...and to be able to simply change the file extension to .zon and place it in the right folder, so you can try it out is awesome. THANK YOU!!!

Now for the but...when I open the text file, all the text is unformatted. One line just runs into the next in a horizontal fashion, making it difficult for me to make any sense of it. I mean, it doesn't look like images of a .zon file that I have seen.

Would this still work, unformatted, by changing the extension to .zon?

Would you be able to screenshot your .zon file or save it as a PDF so I can see which line of text goes where, and I'll rearrange the text file to match the image.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BehringerXtouch Zon file.pdf (129.6 KB, 166 views)