Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-29-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
pierousseau
Human being with feelings

Default Anounce : Reaper plugin for Korg nanokontrol 2

Hi !
So, I bought a MIDI control surface, KORG's Nanokontrol2. I thought it would be somehow plug and play with Reaper, but well... not so much. I found a few tutorials on youtube or this forum to make it work, but nothing worked as well as I hoped. So I wrote my own plugin, to have my Nanokontrol 2 work just the way I want it.

It now works just the way I wanted to. All buttons work, except for "Track previous" / "Track next" (what should I use them for ?). Reaper will send feedback and appropriately turn on/off the lights on your surface. The right-most controls are bound to the master (but you may change that).

If it may help, here it is :
https://github.com/Pierousseau/reaper_generic_control

Have fun with it, and feel free to give feedback
pierousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
goldenarpharazon

This is a marvellous contribution to the small number of community contributed Reaper control surfaces. Well done! It's made even cleverer by decoupling the device's Midi mapping from the compiled csurf plugin code!

The left and right buttons could either
  1. move the selected track left and right
    or
  2. move left and right in banks (albeit of seven tracks in a setup where there is a dedicated eighth slider master track).
Some further suggestions
  • It could be really helpful if a very simple user guide, or a picture of the default mapping for the few less obvious controls was available, otherwise typical Reaper user folk will need to reverse engineer how the default surface functions from screenshot hints and .json config data.

• It could also be helpful if the [new] C++ code contained some descriptive comments or highlighted the changes made from Reaper default csurf template, given how opaque the Reaper csurf C++ examples are in the SDK

• It might be useful to indicate whether the plugin is compiled (or compilable) just for Windows (Reaper) 32bit or 64bit or Mac etc

• Finally can the .json config idea support differing Midi feedback byte codes to the surface's button LEDs? (the Midi is possibly predefined and not changeable in the NanoKontrol2?)
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
hwhalen

I get this error. Not sure what's going on.

hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
pierousseau

Sorry about that, hwhalen
Would you try and install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=52685 ?
I'm not sure what the problem is right now, but the plugin DLL relies on some windows components that might not be available on your computer, and which this package will provide.
What Windows version do you use ?

Obviously it works fine on my computer, so I won't be able to fix this bug without your feedback
Old 06-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
pierousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
  1. The left and right buttons could either move the selected track left and right or move left and right in banks (albeit of seven tracks in a setup where there is a dedicated eighth slider master track).
  2. It could be really helpful if a very simple user guide, or a picture of the default mapping for the few less obvious controls was available, otherwise typical Reaper user folk will need to reverse engineer how the default surface functions from screenshot hints and .json config data.
  3. It could also be helpful if the [new] C++ code contained some descriptive comments or highlighted the changes made from Reaper default csurf template, given how opaque the Reaper csurf C++ examples are in the SDK
  4. It might be useful to indicate whether the plugin is compiled (or compilable) just for Windows (Reaper) 32bit or 64bit or Mac etc
  5. Finally can the .json config idea support differing Midi feedback byte codes to the surface's button LEDs? (the Midi is possibly predefined and not changeable in the NanoKontrol2?)
Thanks a lot goldenarpharazon, this is great and constructive feedback. This is the fuel of (unpaid) open source software.

So...
  1. I'll see what I can do
  2. Not sure what you mean... I provide a file which will configure a user's nanokontrol2 just like mine in two clicks, or a user can create his own preset with the provided generator. Are you thinking about different surfaces ? Please clarify and help me improve this.
  3. Done
  4. Done
  5. Yup, I clearly cut corners there and you caught me. It's easy to extend the json preset system to include the feedback codes, but I have no idea if I can assume them to be constant. To send feedback to the nanokontrol, you send it the code 176, the code for the button you wish to update (same as the input code), and 127 or 0 for on or off. Do you know if it works like this with most other surfaces (the order -here 176- might not be identical for all buttons, or buttons might have one code for input and another for output... feed me with knowledge)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierousseau View Post
Sorry about that, hwhalen
Would you try and install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=52685 ?
I'm not sure what the problem is right now, but the plugin DLL relies on some windows components that might not be available on your computer, and which this package will provide.
What Windows version do you use ?

Obviously it works fine on my computer, so I won't be able to fix this bug without your feedback
Thanx, I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

I'm using Windows 10/64bit.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
G-Sun

nanoKontrol2 here,
so happy to see this development

(But, collects dust in my drawer)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
Thanx, I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

I'm using Windows 10/64bit.
Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #9
pierousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
Unfortunately this didn't fix the issue.
Have you tried to download it again (your first download might be corrupted)
Here is the direct link : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Pi...ce_generic.dll
Other than that, I sadly have no idea what could be wrong right now. Googling this error is not really helpful but seems to generally point either to an incomplete file or a computer malfunction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
nanoKontrol2 here,
so happy to see this development
(But, collects dust in my drawer)
Thanks G-Sun. Glad to help you dust off

Last edited by pierousseau; 06-11-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Fedor

It works better than anything else, without wierd glitchy selection of the tracks when moving multiply faders.

However, I wish there was an solution to be switch between mixer controls and plugins (which I just did using Transmidifier)

Also Plugin Preset Generator didn't react to button presses or any knobs and faders. I wish it did, because I'd rather have my fader and knob 8 work on mixer channel 8 instead of a master.

Last edited by Fedor; 06-11-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Not sure what you mean... I provide a file which will configure a user's nanokontrol2 just like mine in two clicks, or a user can create his own preset with the provided generator. Are you thinking about different surfaces ? Please clarify and help me improve this.
The suggestion was simply to make the mapping between a button and its Reaper action clearer to a typical non-technical musician Reaper user. The track controls like solo, mute, volume and pan are reasonably obvious if someone understands a traditional hardware mixer or has used another DAW. Similarly the basic transport controls like play and stop are similar to traditional [studio hardware] recording & playback devices. However when I made the suggestion I didn't understand the mapping of "cycle" (to Reaper's "repeat") and the marker buttons' setting.

There are probably three ways to see this association or understand it:-

1. Read the C++ code and .json across several text files and associate them with Reaper actions mentioned in the code.

2. Know how to run a command line programme and set up ones own mapping from the prompts.

3. Plug a NanoKontrol2 and Reaper together, install the .dll and give it (i.e. the default mappings) all a try

But best of all if one doesn't have a NanoKontrol2 and Reaper to hand is the simple explanation in a summary table (matrix) as part of a user guide, or use a labelled diagram since not everyone will have the coding or command line skills to do 1 or 2.

Quote:
...It's easy to extend the json preset system to include the feedback codes, but I have no idea if I can assume them to be constant. To send feedback to the nanokontrol, you send it the code 176, the code for the button you wish to update (same as the input code), and 127 or 0 for on or off. Do you know if it works like this with most other surfaces (the order -here 176- might not be identical for all buttons, or buttons might have one code for input and another for output... feed me with knowledge)
The Akai MIDIMIX uses 3 byte Midi as follows for its LEDs

Byte 1 - Midi status byte - Note On (NB encoded with the channel too)
Byte 2 - Note (this value is predetermined by the device firmware for each button LED and cannot be changed by an editor)
Byte 3 - Velocity (0 for off : 127 for on - same as the NanoKontrol2)

It's often hard to find the correct Midi commands for other control surface devices because in the 21st century device manufacturers rarely publish Midi Implementation Charts.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
hwhalen

Quote:
Have you tried to download it again (your first download might be corrupted)
Here is the direct link : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Pi...ce_generic.dll
Other than that, I sadly have no idea what could be wrong right now. Googling this error is not really helpful but seems to generally point either to an incomplete file or a computer malfunction.
Thanx pierousseau,

The plugin now loads, however it doesn't find the .json file.
I only see 'None'.
I've placed it in the

c:\program files\Reaper(X64)\Plugins\reaper_plugin_control_su rface_generic_presets

directory, but I can't see it in the list.

The nanoKontrol2 doesn't seem to work, I presume because of this.

Sorry to be a PITA.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
Fubarable

pierousseau, where did you learn to create the code for this controller? Did you go through other controller code as an initial starting point, and if so, is where can I find other examples? If I have the time, I wouldn't mind delving in this a little myself as I've got some experience in programming -- mostly Java, but also some C and C++ (from many years ago though).

Thanks in advance!
Fubarable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
Indirect

Hello. I've tried your generator, because i would like to use one CC preset for live and reaper. This preset is based around MCU preset for live (i've hacked midi numbers with midi-ox), but with custom cc's on knobs. What is 'Code'?
Your generator has two major problems:
1. It doesn't distinct CCs and Note Numbers. In my preset, knobs do 'stop' , 'next marker' etc.
2. Button behaviour is set to momentary, generator works for toggle obviously. You could add question "push 'on' mute x, push 'off' mute x", this should be enough to deduce momentary/toggle. Mute, Solo, Arm do only "on", i.e. I cannot unmute track with same button. They also doesn't light up.

Track bank is a must have feature, without it its a crippled gadget.

Slight offtopic:
Any idea how to make eq on each channel to react? MCU protocol works does allow EQ control from knobs. My idea is to use Tilt EQ (see Kenny Gioia tut) as default eq and control it from 8 nk2 knonbs

Last edited by Indirect; 07-28-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Indirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #15
DANIELE

I have two NanoKontrol2 and 1 NanoPad2 but I use them in midi cc mode.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
cbesson

Hello, i thank you very much for your plugin, it works fine.

I have a nanokontrol 2 + a Beatstep.
I use the nano for controlling tracks and mastrer track, so as surface controller, and the Beatstep for controlling my VSTi with automation parameters on different midi channels + for production.

For the nano, i have modified your configuration as follow :
* redefined the first track (left) as master
* defined the other for seven tracks
* used the two buttons prev and next track with scripts for navigation in the track list
* redefined (midi CC) the three buttons S, M, R of the master track :
=> S with a script for open/close the VSTi window of the selected track
=> M with a script for open/close the enveloppe trim window for the learn parameters of the focused VSTi
=> R with a script for arming the selecting track. in combination with the beatstep, this button calls a script to configure the learn parameters for the first VSTi of the track

So, I can easyly navigate thru several tracks and get dynamically the learn parameters configuration for my instruments.

Next step, i want reaffect the buttons S/M/R of each track dynamically for other functions. so, i hope to use and modify your plugin for that. several hours in perspective ......many thanks.
cbesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
seanjean3000

Default Thanks!

This is brilliant, and it worked out of the box. Haven't looked yet at getting channel 8 mapped to a track instead of the master, but I`ll probably go that route (just got it running a few minutes ago).

I'll add, for reference to others out there, that I *did* have some trouble getting the NanoKontrol2 working at all on it's own after not having used it on my current machine before. There's a known issue I guess with Windows 7 64 bit. See here, 4th post for solution: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=69644

Thanks again. So much better than the workarounds I used to kludge for the NanoKontrol2 with Reaper.
seanjean3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #18
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

This seems to be a great plugin : i'll have to find back my Nano
Will it work with a NanoKontrol 1 ?
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #19
ScaryLarry

Default Does this work on OSX?

I noticed references to DLLs and windows so before I try getting it working I would like to know if it will work on mac/osx.

TIA,
SL
ScaryLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #20
ivansc

+1 on the Nanokontrol 1 question.
I have two and they work OK already but I am always open to improvements
This and Geoff Waddington`s stuff are a huge move in what most of us see as ways to address one of Reapers more annoying shortcomings - controller connectivity!

Thanks
Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #21
m1rrag

Default request for step by step mac/osx korg nantokontrol interfacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryLarry View Post
I noticed references to DLLs and windows so before I try getting it working I would like to know if it will work on mac/osx.

TIA,
SL
Hey, I made a new thread requesting the info: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205230

Not sure if it's live yet, or if it was redundant to make a new thread but it seemed to belong in the OS X thread. Here's what I said incase it doesn't go live for a bit:

The Korg editing software appears to be Windows only.
So far what I've put together that it IS possible to use the NanoKontrol 2 (haven't looked at 1) by using the Mackie Control Universal protocol, but users report that being buggy. The reports I've come across annoyingly fail to mention HOW it is buggy. But it is implied that it's buggy enough to install Klinke's plug-in, even though that is also only available for Windows. Someone mentioned that it is possible to install Klinke's plug-in on Mac OS X but it seemed like more advanced (and by that I mean very time consuming, especially for a non-advanced user) computer work. Is it really this hard? Is it actually possible? And even if it is, are there no tutorials or lists out there that actually tell all the steps of the process instead of glazing over these complicated intermittent steps as if they aren't a crucial part of getting it to work?

If anyone finds a step by step list for getting a Korg Nano Kontrol (2) to work for mixing in Reaper on OS X (I'm running 10.8.5 at the moment), do tell!

Thankyez
m1rrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #22
gmork

Default Track bank switching

Hi Guys,
First I'd like to thank everybody who has contributed their skill knowledge and patience to this forum, my thanks to all!.

I've got Pierousseau's plugin working on my system now - a major step forward for me. I've also looked at Mr Klinkes mcu mackie mod to run the Nanokontrol 2 in Reaper.
My slight niggle is that I like bits of each approach but I'm struggling to get my head round how these work, not being a programmer.

In brief, I'd like to keep the Pierousseau setup 'as is' BUT be able to use the track up/down buttons to select the next bank of fader channels in Reaper but keep slider 8 for the master level so that you could select tracks 1 to 7 then tracks 8 to 15, etc - Klinke CAN do this but won't control the master level.
From what I can see using the Korg Editor, one approach uses 'CC' messages whilst the Klinke code uses the Daw control setup for Sonar.
Hope you will excuse my rambling post but I can't find any obvious script or cc info in Reaper to help me resolve this, or is it just not going to work?.
Thanks in advance
gmork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #23
wfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryLarry View Post

TIA,
SL
Yes Please.
wfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #24
wfd

Default Control for Kontrol for MAC users in CC mode

Just thought I'd let MAC users know of a way to use their NanoKontrol machines in CC mode.
You can assign every key, switch, fader etc
See this thread so I don't have to copy it out again.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....68#post1988768
wfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #25
brooon

Hi again I´ve just deleted my previous post, as I got it running now. There´s still a question left though: How would you guys handle sub-tracks when using the nano? What you can see in the screenshot is a typical arrangement with instrument clusters. In this example, I´d like to assign Fader 1 to Track 1, Fader 2 to Track 5, Fader 3 to Track 7 etc...

Does that make sense to you guys? Is that possible to be realized?
Attached Images
File Type: png Webp.net-resizeimage.png (27.7 KB, 883 views)
brooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #26
recurver

Default nanoKontrol Studio

I have had some success using this with the new Korg nanoKontrol Studio. However, this model has more buttons than the nanoKontrol 2. Does anyone know if it's possible to add support for the select buttons and jog wheel? Any help will be much apprecitated.

Cheers,
Rowan
recurver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #27
RonZoul

Default great plugin!

this is a great plugin and it works flawlessly right from the start with my new nanokontrol2. thanks for this, @pierousseau.

now, as 8 channels are not much, it would be great to be able to shift from tracks 1-8 to 9-16 and maybe even 17-24 with the TRACK keys (that are unused so far by the plugin).

can this be done somehow?

cheers,
Ron
RonZoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #28
Herr Nox

This plugin saved my life!

But I still have an issue. When I assign a fader to a Kontakt instrument with the right-click/learn function (ie: velocity), it still moves the volume fader on the track simultaneously. I thought the latest learned command would prevail, but it seems like it just adds up.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm kinda new to this controller world.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #29
Herr Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Nox View Post
This plugin saved my life!

But I still have an issue. When I assign a fader to a Kontakt instrument with the right-click/learn function (ie: velocity), it still moves the volume fader on the track simultaneously. I thought the latest learned command would prevail, but it seems like it just adds up.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm kinda new to this controller world.
For anyone having this issue, here's how I solved it:

1) Go to Preferences, Control/OSC/Web and select Generic Controller.
2) Click Edit ans select "none" in the Surface Preset.

Voilà! You can now assign any knob and fader from your nanoKontrol2 to your Kontakt instruments without affecting the volume and pan knobs of your tracks.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #30
R-M-A

First of all, thanks to pierousseau for your work!!!
But now I've got a couple of doubts:
1- Overwriting the default settings with your file means that the configurations for Cubase and ProTools will be lost too?
2- I like your track distribution, leaving the most-right track for the Master track, but I'd like to use the "track" buttons in my Nanokorg so I can control not only the first seven tracks, but the following ones, just like in Sonar or Cubase. So, how can I configure this parameter?

Thanks so much again!!!!
R-M-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #31
acebone

Default It works in wine too!

Just got my nanokontrol2 today - jeez was I disappointed when it didn't work? Then I found this thread ... and now I'm happy again!

I'm running REAPER on wine - on Ubuntu

Thnx pierousseau!

Would be cool to have the LEDs - and the option to shift from track 1-7 to 8-14 etc while keeping the eight for master as it is now. I'll be following further development (if it happens)

Thnx again <3

EDIT: LEDs work! - dunno why they didn't to begin with (or perhaps I just didn't notice)

Last edited by acebone; 05-09-2019 at 01:50 PM.
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #32
tracelistener

Thanks for this! It's working great but I have one issue. The pan knobs range from +/- 8% to 100%. How do I get finer control when panning near centre?

Thanks kindly.
tracelistener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #33
mercysakesalive

I got stuck at the second instruction on the HOW DO I USE IT? part of the page.

It says:

"2. Copy the content of Dist/x64/Plugins/ to C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins (or wherever your Reaper plugins are installed). If you use a 32 bits version of reaper, use the 32 bits plugin."

In the Dist/x64/Plugins/ folder there was a file called Reaper_plugin_control_surface_generic_dll which allowed me to download. Okay that went smooth.

But there is also a folder called "Reaper_plugin_control_surface_generic_presets " that has two files: nanokontrol.json and nanokontrol2.json ... I could not find a download button for either one of these... what do I click to get these files into my computer?

Can someone help me figure out how to copy the content of these files into my computer's reaper plugins folder?
mercysakesalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #34
STOP

Download all the files.
On the first page look for clone or download button and select/click download ZIP.
STOP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #35
mercysakesalive

Thanks. I got the files downloaded. Reaper now sees the "generic controller." Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to see the nanokontrol and nanokontrol2 json files in the Surface Preset drop down menu of Control Surface Settings dialogue box. Any advice on how I can make Reaper see the json files?
Old 06-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #36
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercysakesalive View Post
Thanks. I got the files downloaded. Reaper now sees the "generic controller." Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to see the nanokontrol and nanokontrol2 json files in the Surface Preset drop down menu of Control Surface Settings dialogue box. Any advice on how I can make Reaper see the json files?

Where did you put the folder reaper_plugin_control_surface_generic_presets and it's files?
Old 06-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #37
mercysakesalive

I put the folder in program files > Reaper (x64) > Plugins. I noticed the json files icon is blank. Does that mean anything of significance?
Old 06-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #38
STOP

Did you close Reaper and re-open it?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #39
mercysakesalive

Thank you. Yes I open and closed it several times. Rebooted a couple times. I will do it again just for the hell of it.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #40
mercysakesalive

I feel like I might be taking over this thread. I don't want to do that. I'll message you thank you.