Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #41
l0calh05t
Human being with feelings

In principle real time on multicore is possible too (albeit a lot more difficult), but either way what you really need is a real time capable operating system which Windows is not. The only (to my knowledge) PC DAW that solves this correctly is Pyramix MassCore which puts a Hypervisor underneath Windows and dedicates a fixed number of Cores and RAM to a concurrently running RTOS. The GUI still runs on Windows (good choice, as GUIs benefit a lot from the non-realtime scheduling Windows uses) and communicates asynchronously with the mixing engine (like a control surface would), but the audio gets the full benefits of an RTOS / dedicated Hardware.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #42
XITE-1/4LIVE

Pyramix does address this nicely, and why @ AES they walked with awards at Mosconi a couple times while I was there.
Other ways to achieve realtime using Windows, is to use dedicated audio processors, and have Windows allow well desgined drivers incredibly low latency with 44.1-96k.
I perform live using such gear and since my main hardware synth from Germany processes all signals internally @ 96k, I can hook it up directly to my DSP rack via AES/EBU, where 18 x DSP chips do the necessary math.
It's only a matter of time before a Native developer goes outside of the box and makes an OS that says hello, instead of are you sure you want to do this...?
Old 10-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #43
Snap

Quote:
but either way what you really need is a real time capable operating system which Windows is not.
Yep. This why I track in a HD24 recorder or... in Linux with an RT Kernel on a not specially "powerful" and very modest dual core CPU with high clock speed and no hyper threading abilities. Win is for mixing. No real time processing, thus AMD or Xeon is the choice.

Pyramix is damn crazy expensive.

Last edited by Snap; 10-19-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #44
XITE-1/4LIVE

Linux is also why the MUSE Receptor responds the way it does with Kontakt instruments and VSTi's/VST FX.
I was shocked when I saw how many VSTi's could be loaded and then equally surprised at the cheap AMD CPU they were using.

Years back the Tyan Tiger with a pair of AMD MP CPUs was the best you could get and the design of the AMD was well suited for Reverbs that made Intel Coppermine CPUs gag.

There's several composers like Hans Zimmer, Mike Keane, Bill Goldsmith, etc. that use the Soniccore XITE-1, so demo one of those and see all of the years of DSP development that comes with it including tons of digital I/O, mic pres, IEM/Headphone outs.

If realtime parameter modulation is important, it's what they're using on the big jobs.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #45
incognitocas

Default I have this same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralis View Post
I think I've found the answer:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0

"Solved! I can't believe how easy it was, i'm so stupid! Ok, so the problem was that REAPER was not using all cores for live FX processing. In Preferences->Audio->Buffering, tick the "Allow live FX multiprocessing on" and choose how many cores you want. Apparently, it might impare performance, but i'm not sure how. I just asked the poster on the REAPER forums, and I will update this when I get his answer."

It seems a bit daft that Reaper doesn't automatically detect all the CPU's and use them accordingly as standard. Then if this needs to be changed it can be done manually in the 'Options' settings rather than the other way round.
The latency is so bad. If I even try and use plugins in real time and listen to myself without latency issues, its impossible. I have fewer issues with Audacity! I recently purchased reaper, and I'm extremely frustrated. The popping and crackling is so bad it's unusable. I don't know what to do.
incognitocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #46
PMan

@incognitocas;

What OS, CPU, I/O are you using? In order for the forums to help you, we need more information.

Also, what are your settings in Preferences > Audio > Buffering?
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote