Old 06-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #1
Junolab
Human being with feelings

Default Simple midi controller with LEDs?

Soooo I'm looking to get a few knobs I can use to control whatever parameter I'd like to control through Reaper. Is there such a device you there? It seems most don't show the parameter name by the rotary knob which would be neat.

Not even sure the midi protocol are able to send this data though, but maybe midi 2.0 can (and such devices are in production?)?
Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
MST

Plenty controllers can do that, a bunch of Mackie controllers, ICON QCon series, Behringer X-Touch Universal and extender etc.

But for the knobs and feedback displays to work properly you need some software to communicate between the controller and Reaper, and the Mackie control protocol will do that in a simple way (as far as you're luck go's how well everything is implemented), but the best you can get here is the CSI project where the people here are jut about to finish version 1.1 which supports a bunch of quality controllers which you can configure at you're hearts design, but you need some knowledge and patience to figure everything out, best is to wait till it's out of beta(probably pretty fast)and get one of the controllers it supports, and learn to configure it.
There is even a special controller made for it which the creator is finishing up if you want extremely luxurious control..
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....237950&page=19
MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
masonsjax

Kenny latest couple of videos demonstrate using a pretty nice looking unit from Arturia.
masonsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
Junolab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST View Post
Plenty controllers can do that, a bunch of Mackie controllers, ICON QCon series, Behringer X-Touch Universal and extender etc.

But for the knobs and feedback displays to work properly you need some software to communicate between the controller and Reaper, and the Mackie control protocol will do that in a simple way (as far as you're luck go's how well everything is implemented), but the best you can get here is the CSI project where the people here are jut about to finish version 1.1 which supports a bunch of quality controllers which you can configure at you're hearts design, but you need some knowledge and patience to figure everything out, best is to wait till it's out of beta(probably pretty fast)and get one of the controllers it supports, and learn to configure it.
There is even a special controller made for it which the creator is finishing up if you want extremely luxurious control..
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....237950&page=19
Very good point about the connection. Seems to be a pretty immature tech/market considering the progress so many places. I'll monitor that project on the URL. It's exactly what I imagined I'd get (if available)
Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:55 AM   #5
MST

Default hi

True, to make an intelligent human/digital interface which is fun and organic which fit's all purposes is a huge challenge.
(Fortunately many understand this, and are pioneering for something better before we create a new young race of emotionally disturbed musical cyborgs with input overload. )

But in the mean time,,,
If you can get by without displays, then the free ReaLearn plugin is a well designed and very user friendly to make any controller do what you want, I got a controller working with led feedback and bi-directional motor-faders without looking in a manual in no time at all (then I looked in the manual and started over, but still,,), easy and fun.
https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/

And a special mention should go to this very friendly German creator Moss, who made Reaper scripts that make several controllers work with Reaper which supports a bunch of controllers, some containing displays, for free.
Just like the Mackie Protocol you only get what the designer implemented, which contains a mountain of fun gadgets inspired by his work with other DAW's, it's not part of my workflow, but god-send if you don't use a controller yet.
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

There, my mind is emptied, hope you find an efficient way to get you're musical flow going..
MST is offline   Reply With Quote