Old 06-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
tbrozovich
Human being with feelings

Default EDrum Velocity Issues

Hello,

I have a Yamaha DTXtreme III electric drum kit that I am using to fire samples within Reaper. I have checked all 4 toms I am using and the control unit is seeing 0-127 velocities. However, when I hit the pads really hard, Reaper is only seeing 3 of 4 toms hit around 80 or so. One tom is seeing 127, the others are not.

This is making it very hard to fire drum samples that sound good during a live play due to the unevenness. I have tried messing with the JS: Velocity Controller but that seems like a band-aid, not a fix.

Does anyone have any insight on how to get the velocities being read from the Yamaha unit to input correctly to Reaper?

Thank you!
tbrozovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrozovich View Post
Hello,

I have a Yamaha DTXtreme III electric drum kit that I am using to fire samples within Reaper. I have checked all 4 toms I am using and the control unit is seeing 0-127 velocities. However, when I hit the pads really hard, Reaper is only seeing 3 of 4 toms hit around 80 or so. One tom is seeing 127, the others are not.

This is making it very hard to fire drum samples that sound good during a live play due to the unevenness. I have tried messing with the JS: Velocity Controller but that seems like a band-aid, not a fix.

Does anyone have any insight on how to get the velocities being read from the Yamaha unit to input correctly to Reaper?

Thank you!
First I would start with the manual for the controller part of your kit, there's a good chance that's where your problem is. It more then likely has 1 or more settings for velocity.

Second, what is the drum software you are using? That may also have some settings for velocity.

It's unlikely anything due to Reaper.

I have 4 different keyboard controllers and they all have different velocity outputs.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
ivansc

FWIW I have the same issue & always have had, either from my Roland TD8, my Nanopad or any of my keyboards that I have used over the years.

In EZD or SD3 if I click on a drum with my mouse, it sounds at full volume, so I assume 127 velocity. I then do the same hit using any of my drumpad thingies & the maximum hit level is way lower.
I just live with it. Easy to fix..
Old 06-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
avensis

Hi, I often have this problem too
avensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
gkurtenbach

Try looking at the velocity data with something instead of reaper, like Midiview

https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midiview/
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote