Old 05-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
DrGed
Human being with feelings

Default Migration of Reaper etc

I am considering migrating all my music recording software to a different PC. Of course Reaper will be at the heart of it all but, like others, I have VSTi plug-ins with loads of presets all over the place and the better ones have iLok licenses.

I can't imagine I'm the only person ever to do this and I wondered if anyone else can offer any advice in terms of "do's and dont's" in what, to me, seems like quite a tricky process.

Cheers,

Ged
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
martmix

you can copy the content of this folders

there:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER

also:

C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)

also,

Last edited by martmix; 05-23-2021 at 07:19 AM.
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
marlow77

Make sure you deactivate your ilok plugins prior to the move so you can activate on the new system. Or you can do it after, but it can slow down the installation process if you do it after. This is especially important if you sell the system, etc., And have to request resets from ilok and the plugin sellers if you didn't do this before.

Sometimes you can simply clone the drive and reactivate most of the plugins after deactivating the original drive's plugins.
marlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
DrGed

Thanks for the replies. A further issue that I have noticed is that in iLok, it says that my plug-ins have "1 of 2 activations used". There is no expiration date given for any plug-in.

Can anyone tell me what this two things mean? They seem to contradict each other.

Thanks,

Ged
Old 05-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
solger

It might vary depending on the plugin, but an iLok license usually covers activation on up to two devices at the same time. So "1 of 2 activations used" means that 1 of the 2 activation slots is already in use (in this case: on your current computer). And 1 activation slot is still free (for use on a second device) .

In this case, one option would be to use the second activation slot on the new computer ("2 of 2 activations used"). For instance, if you want to keep the old computer as a backup (in general or at least until the migration to the new computer is completed).

Or you could deactivate them on your old computer (as example: if you don't need them anymore on the old computer or need to free up an activation slot), which will give you 2 free activation slots in total again.

Info about transferring ILok licenses to a new computer can usually be found on the support pages of the respective plugin developer.
Just as example:

Last edited by solger; 05-27-2021 at 01:57 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #6
DrGed

Many thanks, Solger! That's really helpful!
Old 06-03-2021, 04:16 AM   #7
DrGed

One blindingly obvious question I've forgotten until now... ...

How do I actually migrate Reaper? I've got the license key but I don't know if it's as straightforward as I'd like it to be?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ged
Old 06-03-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
solger

Hi Ged,

here's a list of possible options:

Option 1
  1. Install Reaper on the new computer and then start it once (so that it can generate the initial files)
  2. Then copy the entire resource folder (Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder) from the old computer to the new one

Option 2
  1. Export your current configurations via Preferences > General (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#sXvoGnX1eoI)
  2. Install Reaper on the new computer and activate it with your license key
  3. Install any extensions (SWS, ReaPack, VLC Player) that you need
  4. Import the config (from step 1) into the new install via Preferences > General
For migrating ReaPack: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=775

Option 3
  • If you're using a portable Reaper install, you can simply copy the Reaper install folder to the new computer

After migration, you might have to adjust some file/folder and plugin paths (if they are different on your new computer). So make sure to double-check those, as well.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #9
DrGed

Many Thanks, Solger, for a quick and detailed reply.

I appreciate your help very much!

Ged
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 AM   #10
GaryG

I've found no disadvantages with installing Reaper as a portable app. Then everything is in the one folder (c:\reaper in my case) and I can just copy that whole folder to another computer, backup it up simply, even run it from a usb stick.

VSTs are another thing altogether... I actively try and avoid anything with a too complex installation, I've found the Plugin Alliance manager and NIs Native Access both good, can reinstall those products simply enough. Begrudgingly have ilok for a couple of irreplaceable plugs (quadravox, vacuum pro) but pretty much everything else is simple serial/key file.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
DrGed

Thanks, GaryG, for your reply.

Am I right in thinking, having read a thread from 2012, that I cam install Reaper on more than one machine provided that, at any given time, only one machine is actually running Reaper?

Presumably, if you know from the outset that you'll be using different computers, then the portable install is the way forward?

If I'm right then all of this is a big plus for Reaper. There seems to be an inherent generosity (if that's not too strong a word to use) in the way the people who "do Reaper" treat users.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGed View Post
Am I right in thinking, having read a thread from 2012, that I cam install Reaper on more than one machine provided that, at any given time, only one machine is actually running Reaper?
Correct.

Here's the info about this from 'The Fine Print' at the bottom of the Purchase page: http://reaper.fm/purchase.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fine Print'
If you own multiple computers, you may install the same license key on all of them, as long as you only use REAPER on one computer at a time.

We also offer classroom licenses and discounted-to-commercial license upgrades. For these and any other license needs, please email licensing@cockos.com.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #13
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGed View Post
Presumably, if you know from the outset that you'll be using different computers, then the portable install is the way forward?
I'd say it depends.

Migrating a regular install requires only a couple of additional steps more (in comparison to a portable install).

One of the main advantages of portable installs (besides having all files in a single folder for easier backup or moving everything) is that you can have multiple portable installs - of a different or the same Reaper version - installed side-by-side without affecting each other. This can be useful, for instance, if you want to try out a new version/update or some configurations changes without affecting your 'main' install.

One thing to keep in mind though is that some optional features are not available in a portable install (or require at least doing a regular install once) - in case you need one of those:
  • ReWIRE
  • ReaRoute ASIO driver
  • Also, things like creating a Desktop icon, start menu shortcuts and associating .RPP files with the Reaper application need to be created or set manually, if needed.
EDIT: I can't remember exactly, but I think this applies mainly to the Windows version of Reaper.

Personally, I'm primarily using portable installs on all three systems (Windows, macOS, Linux) since I'm usually having multiple ones installed side-by-side on each system

Last edited by solger; 06-07-2021 at 09:51 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
DrGed

Once again, Many Thanks!

A few weeks ago, when I thought my hard disk was not long for this world, I decided migration would be a good option. However, I was terrified that the process would be long and difficult. It's looking like it's going to be a lot easier than I thought. The main reasons for this are the way Reaper is licensed and the help I've received from other users. Even migrating my plug-ins doesn't look like it's going to be as bad as I thought either. So, all round, I feel a lot happier about it than I did at first.

I may be a pain the &^%$!, but I am a grateful one! :-)

Ged
Old 06-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #15
solger

Yeah, migrating plugins is usually the most time consuming factor
Old 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #16
DrGed

Default Update

It's a mixed bag so far, to be honest. Putting Reaper on an additional computer was as straightforward as everone said and just took a few minutes. Phew!

Next I installed a couple of plugins for which no key was needed. Again, no problem. So far so good.

Next I tried a plugin from Air Music Technology which is "secured", if that's the right word, by iLok. Despite having 1 of 2 activations left, iLok told me I needed a product key. Not knowing what to do next, I emailed their support but 48+ hours later they haven't replied yet.

I've installed XLN Addictive Keys Studio Grand and that went fine. This plugin is, like the Air products, limited to two two computers but that didn't cause any problems.

So, I'm waiting for AIR to get back to me. If I can get the AIR plugins sorted them I'm nearly there.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:45 AM   #17
DrGed

Well, AIR never got back to me (it's been 8 days) but I sorted the iLok licenses myself.

To be honest, iLok was O.K really. It's just a case of following the instructions rather than following your instincts, if you know what I mean. A classic case of RTFM, I suppose.

I've still got some plug-ins to move but the ones I use the most are all successfully installed on my "new" computer. The one I'm not looking forward to migrating is BBCSO Discover by Spitfire Audio. Their support seems good so maybe that one will go well too.

Thanks to everyone for all the help : it is much appreciated!

Ged