Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
dazz26
Human being with feelings

Default shuttle pro 2 and reaper?

Hi, I'm trying to get a contour design shuttle pro 2 working with Reaper.
I just can't work out how to get Reaper to recognise it?
Anyone had any experience with this?
dazz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

It should behave just like a computer keyboard input. As long as you have installed the shuttle pro editor software then you may first have to assign the desired key commands to each button on it and then make sure reaper is set to accept those key commands in the actions menu.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
dazz26

Default shuttle pro 2 and reaper?

Thanks for responding, I've installed the software and tried to get reaper to see the key strokes in the actions menu but it doesn't seem to be recognising the shuttle. If anyone can help, I'd be so grateful.
dazz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
planetnine

Any progress on this?

>
Old 09-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
RAgamesound

Bump :-)
RAgamesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
planetnine

Right, I've now got a Shuttle Pro2 (2010 edition, whatever relevance that is); I've been looking at them for years with a thought to adding one to a DAW, and I've got a lot of video editing to do, so I thought I'd buy one for Premiere.

After I got it set up to control Premiere, I'd thought I'd try it with REAPER. I've only been fiddling for about an hour and I've got it fast-forwarding and rewinding at different speeds, scrubbing, zooming in and out and play/pausing.

I've had no problems with REAPER recognising the keystrokes sent from it and immediate thoughts are that the Shuttle is very intuitive and speeds my workflow up significantly -I wish I'd bought one years ago..!

I'm using driver version 2.7.8 with XP SP2, on an Intel Q6600 machine.

Dazz26, Did you get anywhere with yours?

>
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
airon

So it maps its buttons to actual keyboard strokes.

I'm sort of wondering whether or not to add this to my own setup. How does the jog wheel come in to play ? Is it a midi cc device, as knobs are on a BCR2000 ?

I'm interested in setting up automation workflows with a controller like this, and had been eyeballing the Novation Dicer as a clever midi controller as well.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
planetnine

It works by triggering keypresses or multiples/repeats of them. Works very well in Premiere, the jog wheel pushes a frame a time, about ten frame per full revolution. the shuttle wheel moves your cursor without scrub in 7 increasing rates, in each direction.

Once you've pointed its control panel to each application you want to control, it automaticaly uses the profile set up (or you've created).

Having one teething issue with scrub in REAPER after I've shuttled. It keeps playing high-speed scrub for a time or until I press play, or shuttle again.
You can duplicate this by pressing Ctrl-RightArrow a few times and then vanilla-RightArrow -this might be a REAPER buglet?

Having the Zoom, play and track-height toggle keys in one place along with the jog and shuttle is very intuitive, feels very easy wandering around a project -and there're still buttons left over for jump to edit-points, etc when I can get a look around the action-list to find key-presses.

Worth £70. I like

>
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Having one teething issue with scrub in REAPER after I've shuttled. It keeps playing high-speed scrub for a time or until I press play, or shuttle again.
You can duplicate this by pressing Ctrl-RightArrow a few times and then vanilla-RightArrow -this might be a REAPER buglet?
I've got around this by creating a two-action macro: Transport: Fast Forward a little and Transport: Stop, and then re-assigning Ctrl-RightArrow to this macro instead (and Rewind a little, Ctrl-LeftArroww).

This stop action prevents the following scrub from exhibiting its high-speed "catch-up" behaviour, and drops REAPER straight into a very responsive scrub with the jog-wheel, straight after a rapid shuttle traverse.

>

PS: I've replaced the action Transport: Fast Forward a little in the above macro with the SWS extension action Xenakios/SWS: Move cursor right configured pixels This allows a shuttle rate proportional to the horizontal zoom factor of the TCP at the time.

Now all I need is an absolute scrub sensitivity action, irrespective of zoom factor...

...and some sleep.

>
Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
planetnine

Another tweaky update. I've added Alt+, (<) and Alt+. (>) shortcuts to move cursor left and move cursor right. This is so I can operate the jog-wheel on the shuttle with those Key Actions instead of LeftArrow and RightArrow. LA & RA work as normal when the main window is in focus.

The arrow keys tend to be intercepted by many plugins and other floaty windows, and I've found myself changing plug preset settings with the jog-wheel when the plugin has focus. The two new shortcuts sail straight past the plugins and are picked up by the REAPER main window.

Many plugins also intercept the Win key as a modifier. For a while I thought a whole bunch of SWS actions such as toggle FX in floating window and bypass FX in selected track didn't work properly because the plug intercepted the Win key.

>
Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
rogerx101

Hi Nathan, I have a Shuttlexpress, and am having trouble getting the jog and shuttle wheel to work well. Could you kindly tell me the settings you used?
Thanks Roger
rogerx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
adaragray

Hi Planetnine,
can you please export your shuttle .prevs for reaper and upload it to the stash?
thank you!!
adaragray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
TonE

Just want to mention ShuttleXpress and Reaper have some slight problems, IF you try to map

Ctrl - Mousewheel up to joggle right, then what happens is, after such a joggling, the Ctrl key is still hold down, where in theory it should be released again. Apart from this non-nice behaviour it behaves right here.

I am using ShuttleXpress mainly as a left hand mousewheel, where it should do mostly:

1. WheelUp/Down for coarse parameter changes. -> works well
2. Ctrl + WheelUp/Down for fine parameter changes. -> Ctrl key is hold down, where it should not after every such use. Not good. So we need a workaround.

Any other ShuttleXpress users who experienced the same problem with Reaper?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
MotionMindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaragray View Post
Hi Planetnine,
can you please export your shuttle .prevs for reaper and upload it to the stash?
thank you!!

I have found this support file for Shuttle Pro to use with Reaper.
It has the '.pref' extension.. but how to import it in the Contour software ??
Can anyone tell me pls ?
MotionMindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
contourshuttle

Default Reaper for Mac OS X

Hi there,

We are pleased to announce Reaper settings for our Contour Design Shuttle products, which are available here: http://forums.contourdesign.com/view...php?f=9&t=3483

These settings are for use with the new, Mac Version 3 Contour Shuttle software, and for Windows (all versions) which are available at http://download.contourdesign.com . This new Mac driver is for use with Mac OS 10.7 and later only.

The next build of this driver will have Reaper settings built in.

Thanks,

Terry
Contour Design, Inc.

Last edited by contourshuttle; 12-04-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Added info
contourshuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
MisterGTR

Just bought a shuttle pro 2 and it's not working for me.

It's causing my alphatrack pro to reboot but i think that maybe a symptom.

When i click find shortcut then hit any of the keys with shift/control buttons (eg Button 1 is shift and left arrow) i get an error saying "you must enter shortcut" and when i okay that window, the window behind "find key or midi controller" just shows "Shift +"

Everything works in the contour device configuration app

Any ideas? (thanks in advance)

EDIT: I discovered it's some sort of conflict with my alphatrack i.e i can't use both at the same time...which is weird as the contour should just be sending keystrokes?

Last edited by MisterGTR; 05-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.
MisterGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #17
willpadgett

Another rare user of the Shuttlexpress and REAPER here. I've had no problem getting the shuttlexpress to work with any programs, except REAPER. For some reason, it seems to be filtering the key commands somewhere along the way.

For instance, I cannot get "Windows key + Ctrl key + left/right arrow" to work, it's like the windows key cannot be pressed while in REAPER or something. Yet, it works when I press this directly on my keyboard.

Considering I've had no problems in any other program with shuttlexpress, I'm suspicious that there's a checkbox somewhere in REAPER that's preventing the shuttle from working as intended.
willpadgett is offline   Reply With Quote