Old 11-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Ryzen 5950X build plan

-EDIT-
Final build in post #10.
--------------------------
So here's the plan with all the information I've collected so far.

Case
Phanteks P500A Digital
It's big enough to hold an air cooler with shifted fans if necessary and has excellent airflow.
CPU
5950X when I can actually find one at a decent price. This might take a while .
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Great VRMs, 3x M2 slots, great overclocking potential, lots of connectivity
CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-D15
Reliable. In the past 13 years, Noctua has never let me down.
RAM
Crucial Ballistix schwarz DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-18-18-38 (BL2K32G36C16U4B)
Crucials info is that this is compatible with the mainboard, even though this doesn't show up on the QVL yet. I investigated this after everyone kept telling me Ballistix always works. The alternative is G.Skill Trident Z Neo sticks with similar timings.
One NVME as a work drive, probably something reliable like a Samsung 980 Pro or a less expensive alternative. Likely 1 TB. I consider my 860 Evo SATA SSD sufficient for a system drive.

In time I'll be replacing some of my SATA SSDs with NVME.

Last edited by airon; 07-14-2021 at 01:16 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:25 AM   #2
airon

Got it all together. Reaper will get tested on this in a few days.

So far the system works fine, but I need to transfer my gfx card over to it and a couple of other drives. Can't do that until my current projects are done.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
mlprod

Enjoy, 5950x is def the best daw cpu on the market now.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:01 AM   #4
Juergen

This sounds decent
I even bookmarked it
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #5
Coachz

By the time 5950x is available zen 4 CPUs will be out. Been waiting since November

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #6
Edgemeal

My local Micro Center had the 5950X in stock at MSRP last week (in store only), that lasted 3 days and are sold out again, some of their other stores still have the 5900X and 5950X in stock, but the bastards raised the prices! If you live near one check them out.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
My local Micro Center had the 5950X in stock at MSRP last week (in store only), that lasted 3 days and are sold out again, some of their other stores still have the 5900X and 5950X in stock, but the bastards raised the prices! If you live near one check them out.
Even Microcenter have turned into scalpers

Coachz Repo
Old 04-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
airon

I waited for 5-6 months before I finally got the CPU at about MSRP+10%.

The RAM was an excercise in waiting. I'd found it at a good price(~300 Euros including tax) but they kept not getting the stock when they were supposed to. But oh no, mothersuckers, I ain't cancelling my order that fast! It finally came a few weeks ago, and I'd ordered that in December.

These are by far the hardest to get parts, and thank grud(Judge Dredd reference) I'm not buying GPUs right now. A friend of mine is giving me an old NVidia card that actually has drivers available for Win10 for me to place in my current(old) machine, whereas my 1070 goes in to the new one, right after I've closed the two remaining projects.

I'm simply worried the Intel 6700K onboard 530 GPU isn't good enough for some of the smug plugins out there. :\

Two shots, first testing the mainboard, CPU and cooler. That gfx card is an old NVidia 7300 GS for which there are no drivers for Win10 any longer, so it's 1024x768. Enough for testing.

Here's the mostly complete rig. The PCIe power cables are there lose for when the proper gfx card gets put in. I added another Arctic PWM 14 fan to the back that's synced to the CPU fans, so it's three blowing in from the front of the case, two CPU fans and one in the back of the case.

Routing still needs some cleanup, and there's another SSD and an HD to go in. An NVMe and an SSD on the back are already in.

Last edited by airon; 04-27-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
airon

One more thing.

The RAM is now on the QVL of many boards. It just took a while before Qualified Vendor List entries for Vermeer(Zen3) processors were released.

I did the basic system install with no XMP activated. Once all system updates and some basic drivers were on, I switched on the XMP profile and it worked like a charm.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #10
airon

Final build

Case
Phanteks P500A Digital
As can be seen in the shot above, the first D15 fan had to be moved up a bit. This case accomdated that easily.
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Great VRMs, 3x M2 slots, great overclocking potential, lots of connectivity
Check Buildzoids channel for some good info on current boards.
CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-D15
Reliable. In the past 13 years, Noctua has never let me down.
RAM
Crucial Ballistix DIMM Kit 64GB (black), DDR4-3600, CL16-18-18-38 (BL2K32G36C16U4B)
Crucial garantuees compatiblity to this mainboard.
These memory sticks are on the QVL as well, as are G.Skill Trident Z Neo sticks with similar timings.
Storage
  • Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB for system
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB for work
  • Samsung 860 EVO SATA 2TB for work
  • Seagate 12 TB HD for sound libraries and general storage
  • USB 3 hub, powered for the occasional external stuff.
  • USB 3 disks for backup and storage of non-essential stuff.
Audio Setup (unchanged from previous build)
  • RME Fireface UC
    Connected with a 5 meter USB 2 Lindy cable.
    Totalmix controlled with a simple little Korg Nanopad 2 for switching between setups.
  • Stacks of USB 2 controller equipment via one USB 2 line and multiple powered D-Link USB2 hubs. 3 hubs, plus one unpowered mickymouse hub for some extra bits.

Last edited by airon; 07-14-2021 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #11
Iokanaan

And how is all this working in Reaper. Especially, what difference did you sse with your old 6700K ? I am currently owning a 6700K and am planning to upgrade to a 5950X configuration and I am curious to know if the gain of power is worth the price it will cost me... Right now I have a project that puts my 6700K in the red zone of 80-90% CPU use.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:52 AM   #12
hellalive

I've got a simular setup with a Taichi mobo and a 3950x, very stable, fast and reliable. No brainer upgrade form a 7700k.
hellalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:54 AM   #13
Iokanaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellalive View Post
I've got a simular setup with a Taichi mobo and a 3950x, very stable, fast and reliable. No brainer upgrade form a 7700k.
And did you see a big difference ?
Old 06-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #14
hellalive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iokanaan View Post
And did you see a big difference ?
It's night and day, sessions that where around 55% CPU now run around 22%. Latency depends mainly on drivers, and I use an Antelope TB3 interface, so low I cannot notice any difference. I have an addon TB card, and it works flawlessly.

Highly recommended
Old 06-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
Coachz

Quote:
It's night and day, sessions that where around 55% CPU now run around 22%. Latency depends mainly on drivers, and I use an Antelope TB3 interface, so low I cannot notice any difference. I have an addon TB card, and it works flawlessly.

Highly recommended
How did your render speed change?

Coachz Repo
Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #16
hellalive

I loaded the same project, nothing serious.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
airon

6700K with 32 GB 3000-DDR4 RaM to 5950X with 64 GB 3600-DDR4 Ram.

The max speedup is a factor of about 5.25. The single-core performance is way higher, so more plugins per thread .

Project loads are a bit faster. Board is five years younger, RAM is faster and it's an NVME drive. My 8000 file session takes around 25-30 seconds to load first time. A few seconds after that. The plugins are the bigger first stumbling block usually. They are instantiated faster too.

Render performance is excellent, as can be expected. As always the CPU may not be completely maxed out. 3-5x speed is the usual with medium-track counts(40-60). If I go a lot higher, it'll get better.

The 6700K was already great with my RME Fireface UC at 256 samples, but the 5950x has so many reserves that I have no idea where its limits are just yet.

One of the things you should definitely keep from your old setup is your graphics card. That market is screwed up right now.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:53 AM   #18
DrGed

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

One of the things you should definitely keep from your old setup is your graphics card. That market is screwed up right now.
Yes, I've been in my local computer shop a few times recently and they have a sign up saying "Only one graphics card per customer".

I can't help wondering if it's because of more people using higher end graphics cards in connection with bitcoin mining. Of course, I could easily be completely wrong! :-)
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:21 AM   #19
Iokanaan

Quote:
6700K with 32 GB 3000-DDR4 RaM to 5950X with 64 GB 3600-DDR4 Ram.
Have you tried, by any chance, to load a same project and see the difference in the % of CPU use ?
Old 06-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
airon

Only projects similar in size, not the exact same.

The speedup is considerable. Former 2-3x renders are now 7-10x at least.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:33 PM   #21
Iokanaan

Quote:

Ok. Thanks. And in term of CPU use during the playback, do you have any idea of the gain ?
Old 06-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #22
Coachz

Quote:

That's in line with what I would expect. I'm running a 10 year-old 980x CPU and benchmarks on a 5950x are over three times faster

Coachz Repo
Old 07-13-2021, 04:53 AM   #23
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iokanaan View Post
Ok. Thanks. And in term of CPU use during the playback, do you have any idea of the gain ?
I have yet to run the Dawbench test.

Single thread benchmarks place it at about 138% of the 6700K. Multicore place it at about 514%, which I assume is one of the upper limits. CPU-Z was 525%. 514% is Passmark AFAIK. Having RAM running at 3200 or better yet, 3600 MHz will make a difference here as well for raw power.

The better you cool your CPU, the easier it can auto-boost. Newer Intel CPUs have a Turboboost that only runs for 55 seconds. The rest may be comparable to what Ryzen CPUs do.

The 5950X will use a bit more power if it can. All modern CPUs do that, the Intels often in abundance. Overclocked 10900 or 11900 can swallow over 200 Watts easily while still limping after Ryzens that consume 100-140 Watts at most on stock settings.

My 5950X is usually precision boosting to 3.9 - 4.7 GHz. If I document it more thoroughly I could give you a better answer, but I'm in the middle of mixing .

Last edited by airon; 07-13-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:00 AM   #24
hellalive

Quote:

Sorry I didn't get the question about rendering at the time. It's in this order of magnitude, but i never render whole projects with plugins - I record to new tracks, then eventually cut and render (many third party plugs work bad with rendering). I noticed an improvement while rendering long tracks, batch converting, etc.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:38 AM   #25
Iokanaan

Quote:
Sorry I didn't get the question about rendering at the time. It's in this order of magnitude, but i never render whole projects with plugins - I record to new tracks, then eventually cut and render (many third party plugs work bad with rendering). I noticed an improvement while rendering long tracks, batch converting, etc.
What do you mean by that ?
Old 07-13-2021, 06:14 AM   #26
hellalive

Offline rendering, glueing, sample rate conversion etc are way faster in my experience, but I don't use plugins while offline rendering so I cannot speak about that.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #27
airon

A lot of little offline processes, like glueing render-as-new-take are almost instant. Only when plugins get involved, you see the system work hard.

Keeping the project(and thus the audio path) on an SSD is a big part of that as well.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #28
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGed View Post
Yes, I've been in my local computer shop a few times recently and they have a sign up saying "Only one graphics card per customer".

I can't help wondering if it's because of more people using higher-end graphics cards in connection with bitcoin mining. Of course, I could easily be completely wrong! :-)
It's not a bitcoin mining issue, (bitcoin mining with a GPU because unprofitable as soon as FGPUs came out, and even more-so when ASICs came out; but ya know, the Mass Media ain't too bright) but a scalper profiteering issue and the lack of willingness of companies to simply allow people to sign up on a cue, put a deposit down, and then charge the credit card or notify the person with a 24-hour window when their GPU is done. There's also the issue of dumb-asses with the mindset of "hey I have those numbers in the bank, I'll pay 3X the price for this video card; because maybe girls will be impressed at my ability to click "OK" and obtain depreciating assets, instead of giving that $2,100 to the homeless guy down the street and either help them change their life or overdose on heroine! Because women (calm down people, I am talking about the ones between the 1st and 3rd quartile of the bell curve; you're all of good intelligence and know or can learn how statistical representations work) don't generally get heated by the persons helping the homeless"

It's plausible that there are people using GPUs for mining alt-coins, but these are the minority compared to video artists, gamers, 3D graphic designers, etc. just based on hash-rates of these coins as well.

I'm not bitter about the prices; it's one less thing for me to spend my money on! I think I'll give some more money to the nearest homeless person today so they can at least get drunk and forget about their problems and the lack of cooperative systems in the USA for a few hours

OK, rant over :P

Solid Build!

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 07-13-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:22 AM   #29
airon

Updated the final build with a bit of added info that I thought may be of interest to other builders.

This includes the audio interface and some of the USB equipment I use.

For example, I have three powered D-Link USB2 hubs. One is connected via a decent shielded 5 meter USB 2 cable to the machine that sits in the hallway, not the mixing room.
Machine->HUB1->iLok,USB-key-for-authorizations,Hub2,Hub3

HUB2->Faderport16,Novation Dicer, ShuttlePro2, Mouse, Keyboard, Little-4-port-unpowered-hub-for-bits

HUB3->MFT1,MFT2,MFT3,MF3D,NI M32, MachineMK3Mikro

All works fine with Windows 10. Windows 7 was much more finicky with USB equipment.
The audio interface is hooked up via a 5 meter Lindy USB 2 cable that has proven to be reliable.