Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Jbjp14
Human being with feelings

Default Complete Newbie Learning Material

Hey all,

So I am an absolute newbie when it comes to audio recording/mixing and have recently got myself a Zoom F6 multitrack field recorder and a few different mics, to essentially learn the art of audio and to have ago at recording wildlife, nature, birds and foley sound effects tracks with the different mics, to which I then want to play around with and pull together in post to hopefully then create some nice audio tracks at the end of it.

Now I think I'm getting there with the actual field recording side of things, but as for post I need to start from the beginning, the fundamentals and basics of audio post processing. Im hoping to use Reaper as from research it seems to offer a good DAW platform that performs for all levels and seems like a DAW I could start at a basic level with, but also grow with as I learn more and get more technical with my pre & post work... So with this in mind, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good website or YouTube channel that offers a good set of material/videos which basically teaches you the fundamentals and basics, like from importing track, to the fundamental things you need to know how to use, to exporting at a basic level?

Thank you : )
Jbjp14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
Gibson_GM

Hi J, welcome.

Yes, there is a TON to learn, but it happens FAST if you get into it (as it seems you will ha ha).

On youtube, look up "Reaper Mania", the videos by Kenny Gioa are AMAZING! Guy is a great teacher, and it will take a long time til you need other info - which is also available from additional sources (search "Reaper DAW" etc for more). Kenny will get you going.

Don't forget that most rules for DAW and general recording practices apply here too...proper input signal level, techniques for noise reduction, how to use effects/compression/other tools. So info dealing with other DAWs is also apropos.

Start slow, learn the basics RIGHT such as getting a good input ("GIRATS"...get it right at the source (Joe Gilder on the Youtube), and you'll be up and running in no time. And then don't be afraid to experiment. Look forward to seeing how you come along!

Here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...98HlB5mVFHGSsQ

Another really good one, more basic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDc...DDOINyXf7jtocS

Last edited by Gibson_GM; 06-15-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Jbjp14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_GM View Post
Hi J, welcome.

Yes, there is a TON to learn, but it happens FAST if you get into it (as it seems you will ha ha).

On youtube, look up "Reaper Mania", the videos by Kenny Gioa are AMAZING! Guy is a great teacher, and it will take a long time til you need other info - which is also available from additional sources (search "Reaper DAW" etc for more). Kenny will get you going.

Don't forget that most rules for DAW and general recording practices apply here too...proper input signal level, techniques for noise reduction, how to use effects/compression/other tools. So info dealing with other DAWs is also apropos.

Start slow, learn the basics RIGHT such as getting a good input ("GIRATS"...get it right at the source (Joe Gilder on the Youtube), and you'll be up and running in no time. And then don't be afraid to experiment. Look forward to seeing how you come along!

Here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...98HlB5mVFHGSsQ

Another really good one, more basic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDc...DDOINyXf7jtocS
Hello, thank you so much for this, very much appreciated. I will definitely give all of these a look!

Also thank you for the extra tips around good general practice too, gives me lots to think about, to put me on the right line as it were aha, but I certainly agree that I need to start slow with the basics and focus on what im looking to do initially which is wildlife field recording, then build from there.

Thanks again, really appreciate your help and support : )
Old 06-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
locombiano

I want to share with you my own experience, I started from zero, 18 months ago approximately, I watched Reaper Mania (Kenny Gioa's YouTube Channel) "Recording Your Band" series, 16 videos, it was all I needed to start, and keep in mind that English is not my mother tongue.

Later you'll find a million things to explore and learn, of course, but those 16 videos are a very good point to start.
locombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Jbjp14

Quote:
Originally Posted by locombiano View Post
I want to share with you my own experience, I started from zero, 18 months ago approximately, I watched Reaper Mania (Kenny Gioa's YouTube Channel) "Recording Your Band" series, 16 videos, it was all I needed to start, and keep in mind that English is not my mother tongue.

Later you'll find a million things to explore and learn, of course, but those 16 videos are a very good point to start.
Hello, thank you very much for this, it’s really good to hear your story and that watching these recommendations really helped.

I have since the recommendation of Reaper Mania, having a look at the channel and it really does look like the tool that will get me on my way and after hearing your story it proves it works

Thank you 😊
Old 06-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

You should also grab a copy of the free PDF User Guide to help you set up and get started, and for general reference:

https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

And do come back here with questions when you need to. Best to start a new thread for each new question, otherwise it can get buried and go unnoticed.

nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #7
Jbjp14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
You should also grab a copy of the free PDF User Guide to help you set up and get started, and for general reference:

https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

And do come back here with questions when you need to. Best to start a new thread for each new question, otherwise it can get buried and go unnoticed.

Thank you, I will definitely download that one now. And that’s very much appreciated, I already feel very welcomed to the group
Old 06-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #8
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbjp14 View Post
Thank you, I will definitely download that one now. And that’s very much appreciated, I already feel very welcomed to the group
It's a long path, so I'd suggest to keep in mind these two things:

- REAPER is massive, huge and complex. But you won't need to know much of it, in fact for your goals you won't need to know most of it. Try to remain focussed and not get side tracked!

- Every single person here (yes, everyone!) started off at exactly the same place as you did: that is, knowing absolutely nothing! And look at us now, ha ha

Last edited by nicholas; 06-16-2021 at 06:24 AM.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:28 AM   #9
martifingers

Hi and welcome Jbjp14.
I think you might have already learned one of the unique strengths of Reaper... this forum! I think you'll find a lot of support even (or especially?) because your intended use is perhaps slightly unusual. Good luck.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
Jbjp14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
It's a long path, so I'd suggest to keep in mind these two things:

- REAPER is massive, huge and complex. But you won't need to know much of it, in fact for your goals you won't need to know most of it. Try to remain focussed and not get side tracked!

- Every single person here (yes, everyone!) started off at exactly the same place as you did: that is, knowing absolutely nothing! And look at us now, ha ha
Thank you Nicholas, I really appreciate these wise thoughts and actually something that I definitely need to follow. As you say Reaper is a big big tool and can do many things for many different scenarios; so yeah I just need to focus on what I’m looking to do for now (which is wildlife & foley recording) and yeah not get lost into something else.

Haha so true and I’m really pleased I found the forum for sure
Old 06-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
Jbjp14

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Hi and welcome Jbjp14.
I think you might have already learned one of the unique strengths of Reaper... this forum! I think you'll find a lot of support even (or especially?) because your intended use is perhaps slightly unusual. Good luck.
Hello, this forum really is brilliant and already has been so helpful, supportive & welcoming.

Thank you, really appreciated
Old 06-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #12
Bazzbass

Kenny G and Nicholas are the best there is. We are SO LUCKY to have them,and all the wise people of this forum.