Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
PACStudio
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER not accepting the "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" for Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT

Selecting the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT (Bluetooth 5.0) headphones as Audio Device in REAPER v6.23, the "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" format in the macOS Audio MIDI Setup immediately reverts to "1 ch 16-bit Integer 8,0 KHz" format.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT headtset works well in "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" with other DAWs and within the macOS system. The audio quality is high except in REAPER.

I am running macOS Mojave 10.4.6 on a Mac Pro Late 2013.

Is there a way to use the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT in the "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" format in REAPER?
PACStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
cyrano

32 bit playback over BlueTooth. Why?

I mean, who are they fooling here. There's no way to pump a 32 bit wav over BT without compression. AFAIK BT chipsets can't even handle 32 bit at all.

The reason it's working in Macos, is simple. Core audio will resample anything it knows the playback device can't handle without asking or informing the user.

So maybe Reaper is just being honest about the playback capability of the BT device?

EDIT

LOL

It's a 24 bit dac, driven by a 32 bit DSP and the network transfer uses 32 bit addressing. The marketing guys have had a fun time confusing those. Spose they estimate the users just like the numbers.

In this case, there is no 32 bit sound.

Last edited by cyrano; 02-16-2021 at 02:10 PM.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
karbomusic

^That's what Reaper will show when it is set to record a 32 bit file, not the incoming stream FYI. FWIW, I had the same reaction until I opened Reaper and looked.

The OP could go into sound settings and the BT device properties and see what it is set to:

Old 02-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
serr

I'm more curious how you got OSX 10.4 installed and running on a 2013 Mac Pro!

That's almost got to be the root cause. There's a newer class compliant driver needed to recognize the device correctly or something like that going on.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
cyrano

Typo?

Mojave = 10.14.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
karbomusic

Sorry, I didn't realize it was still on Mac, I thought they meant worked on Mac, not on Windows. However, this...

Quote:
immediately reverts to "1 ch 16-bit Integer 8,0 KHz" format.
Sometimes BT Headphones have multiple bandwidth modes, ^that one reminds me of basic no frills voice bandwidth. That's why I suggested the windows version of finding those settings (before I knew it was Mac). That said, I have a BT Speaker that I had to specifically enable 48k/Stereo in settings before it could actually be used with that bandwidth - before I did that, I had similar issues.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
SteveK_Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACStudio View Post
Selecting the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT (Bluetooth 5.0) headphones as Audio Device in REAPER v6.23, the "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" format in the macOS Audio MIDI Setup immediately reverts to "1 ch 16-bit Integer 8,0 KHz" format.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT headtset works well in "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" with other DAWs and within the macOS system. The audio quality is high except in REAPER.

I am running macOS Mojave 10.4.6 on a Mac Pro Late 2013.

Is there a way to use the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT in the "2 ch 32-bit Float 48 KHz" format in REAPER?
I have the same problem with the Sony WH-1000XM4 on my MacBook Pro with Big Sur.

I only get a mono sound with horrible quality. I think 32 bit aren't required as these would only provide more dynamic. So a 16 bit dynamic in CD quality would be fine. Its mainly the data rate that is responsible for quality not the bit resolution of the dynamic.

But 8Khz or 16kHs sampling rate is way too bad, probably causing the bad sound. (44,1 or 48 kHz would be required to have a "good" sound). Also with some more plugins in use it hangs and glitches.

So why is Reaper playing in Mono? I think it would be important to select a codec.
Is reaper supporting BT output devices at all?

This problem only happens with Reaper! Music played with other software has high quality. Even with Logic Pro I can use the BT headphones with very good quality and in stereo!

If Reaper is not supporting this I will probably have to switch to Logic...

Last edited by SteveK_Germany; 06-06-2021 at 06:57 AM.
SteveK_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #8
Fergler

Before you give up on Reaper, until this is resolved, you can use Groundcontrol (https://www.gingeraudio.com) to route Reaper's output directly to Mac OS then monitor through Mac instead by using "Allow use of different input and output devices". Despite the warning, I have never *ever* had an issue with this setting, and an aggregate device is not exactly the same. You won't have the same control over volume and inputs can't be disabled.

You'll actually increase the flexibility as you'll now have project-independent level control for Reaper output and can still use your Mac volume up/down keys to effect the entire (Reaper + Mac OS sound) output. No latency is introduced.

But more importantly, you'll trick Reaper into outputting any sound quality you want and rely on Mac OS resampling to send to your headphones.

Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #9
SteveK_Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Before you give up on Reaper, until this is resolved, you can use Groundcontrol (https://www.gingeraudio.com) to route Reaper's output directly to Mac OS then monitor through Mac instead by using "Allow use of different input and output devices". Despite the warning, I have never *ever* had an issue with this setting, and an aggregate device is not exactly the same. You won't have the same control over volume and inputs can't be disabled.

You'll actually increase the flexibility as you'll now have project-independent level control for Reaper output and can still use your Mac volume up/down keys to effect the entire (Reaper + Mac OS sound) output. No latency is introduced.

But more importantly, you'll trick Reaper into outputting any sound quality you want and rely on Mac OS resampling to send to your headphones.

thanks a lot for this hint - this indeed could be a good solution - I just wonder why Reaper does not support these BT headphones?

Anyway I will check out Ginger.
Is this free version a full version? Or is there a more powerful version available that can do more?
SteveK_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #10
mschnell

I do know that Windows tries to require audio software to explicitly support bluetooth audio in a very queer way, instead of simply providing standard audio devices fir such hardware.
Is Mac as silly as Windows on that behalf ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote