Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
incognitocas
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper latency with real time usage

The latency is so bad. If I even try and use plugins in real time and listen to myself without latency issues, its impossible. I recently purchased reaper, and I'm extremely frustrated. The popping and crackling is so bad it's unusable. I don't know what to do. For some od reason, the levels are also higher than the monitor on my AUD. I peak in Reaper but not on my symphony desktop. So real time monitoring of my vocals is impossible, as I need to move it from 32 to 2048 for it to work without pops and crackles. I even tried to use one plugin which is a denoiser and all I get on playback is pops and crackles. I'm losing my shit here. I need a solution. When I email reaper for support, I am told to get it here on the forums.

The only post I could find was one from 2008.

Originally Posted by Spectralis View Post
I think I've found the answer:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0

"Solved! I can't believe how easy it was, i'm so stupid! Ok, so the problem was that REAPER was not using all cores for live FX processing. In Preferences->Audio->Buffering, tick the "Allow live FX multiprocessing on" and choose how many cores you want. Apparently, it might impare performance, but i'm not sure how. I just asked the poster on the REAPER forums, and I will update this when I get his answer."

It seems a bit daft that Reaper doesn't automatically detect all the CPU's and use them accordingly as standard. Then if this needs to be changed it can be done manually in the 'Options' settings rather than the other way round.

Last edited by incognitocas; 05-25-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: More issues uncovered
incognitocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
zeekat

I suspect the problem isn't in the Reaper defaults but your computer's lack of performance. Mine works smoothly at 64 samples and I dont remember ever touching those deep Reaper's settings.

Resplendence Latencymon should point you to problematic drivers/devices. Also what's your audio interface and do you use appropriate ASIO driver?

edit: ah I see Symphony Desktop is an interface - damn, that looks nice. Anyway hope you don't run it with ASIO4ALL or something. Assuming you run Windows.

Last edited by zeekat; 05-26-2021 at 09:44 AM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitocas View Post
listen to mysel
This is a "live" situation, which is a complex matter. Hence you might want to take a look at the sticky thread in the "live" forum, to find a lot of information about using Reaper as a live playing tool.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
Can the op post what all plug ins are in use? I use reaper all day for real time work..no problem. With a 2408 made in 1999 and a 8 year old desktop.
Also,ofc,what driver as zeekat asked.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitocas View Post
When I email reaper for support, I am told to get it here on the forums.
This is because you have apparently bought reaper without learning anything about it & are now demanding solutions to issues that are caused by you not having bothered to read the free owners manual or watching the free video tutorials. Oops! Missed this bit...

IF you check out the stuff on initial setup and still can`t figure it out, by all means come back & ask again, but this time tell us the specification of your computer, what you are using for a audio/MIDI interface & of course what plugins you are using.
Correctly set up, most relatively recent computers are more than capable of giving
low latency.

In the meantime, just so you can check your system, download and run resplendence.com `s excellent latency monitor.
It will tell you if your system is set up to be capable of doing multitrack audio/MIDI recording or not & offer suggestions s to where to look if it cant.

This is not intended to be a rude post, any more than your initial comment was, so don`t get angry, just get to work on learning reaper.

Last edited by ivansc; 06-09-2021 at 09:14 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
incognitocas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I suspect the problem isn't in the Reaper defaults but your computer's lack of performance. Mine works smoothly at 64 samples and I dont remember ever touching those deep Reaper's settings.

Resplendence Latencymon should point you to problematic drivers/devices. Also what's your audio interface and do you use appropriate ASIO driver?

edit: ah I see Symphony Desktop is an interface - damn, that looks nice. Anyway hope you don't run it with ASIO4ALL or something. Assuming you run Windows.
Yeah, I'm on windows 10 using an ASUS Gamers Republic
Intel i7 4700 2.40 Ghz
24 gig ram

Not sure why I would have any issue with those specs
Old 06-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
incognitocas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
This is because you have apparently bought reaper without learning anything about it & are now demanding solutions to issues that are caused by you not having bothered to read the free owners manual or watching the free video tutorials.

IF you check out the stuff on initial setup and still can`t figure it out, by all means come back & ask again, but this time tell us the specification of your computer, what you are using for a audio/MIDI interface & of course what plugins you are using.
Correctly set up, most relatively recent computers are more than capable of giving
low latency.

In the meantime, just so you can check your system, download and run respmendence.com `s excellent latency monitor.
It will tell you if your system is set up to be capable of doing multitrack audio/MIDI recording or not & offer suggestions s to where to look if it cant.

This is not intended to be a rude post, any more than your initial comment was, so don`t get angry, just get to work on learning reaper.
I'm using the symphony desktop. Yeah, I'm only looking to use this on one track for voice over. Even the nectar 3 plugin has issues and I need to bump up the buffer size. Limiter, compressor, ERA plugins, etc.

I did run the report and all came back good.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
CONCLUSION
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:52 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: DESKTOP-HD4LTVL
OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware: G750JZA, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 24458 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 2394 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet
in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt
service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread
from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 145.60
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4.374713

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 133.70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.258132

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 71.517962
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.024506
Driver with highest ISR total time: i8042prt.sys - i8042 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.036919

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 9757
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until
the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 260.401420
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.026757
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: i8042prt.sys - i8042 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.073333

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 30072
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 1
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The
process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts,
clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: latmon.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 7
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 7
Number of processes hit: 1
Old 06-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
incognitocas

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.944947
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 71.517962
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.153722
CPU 0 ISR count: 9757
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 260.401420
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 0.272489
CPU 0 DPC count: 27004
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.090894
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 23.888471
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000446
CPU 1 DPC count: 110
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.226021
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 178.339181
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.015970
CPU 2 DPC count: 1053
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.112192
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 21.087719
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000399
CPU 3 DPC count: 87
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.132185
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 58.976190
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.005082
CPU 4 DPC count: 700
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.111474
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 47.951128
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000598
CPU 5 DPC count: 78
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.161431
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 113.993734
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.003295
CPU 6 DPC count: 369
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.125279
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 207.859649
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.007061
CPU 7 DPC count: 672
Old 06-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #9
ivansc

Cool. Can I suggest that you have a quick dive through the setup videos and docs & also run through glitch free? I honestly think following glitch free`s suggestions will sort you out.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
incognitocas

Quote:
Cool. Can I suggest that you have a quick dive through the setup videos and docs & also run through glitch free? I honestly think following glitch free`s suggestions will sort you out.
Sure. Where can I find the vids and I'm not sure how to run thru the glitch free?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
ivansc

vids etc are at reaper.fm & Glitch free is an e-booklet you will find if you google it. Sorry I forgot to mention all this stuff, I usually offer this as an option for all and any newbs, though!
Old 06-06-2021, 03:44 AM   #12
Amazed

Quote:
vids etc are at reaper.fm & Glitch free is an e-booklet you will find if you google it. Sorry I forgot to mention all this stuff, I usually offer this as an option for all and any newbs, though!
Thx for this.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
ivansc

.... on my birthday, too!! 6.6.1944