Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
A Redtail Hawk
Human being with feelings

Default Panorama P1 Reaper Setup Issues/Freezing and Unresponsive

Hi there!

I am struggling to use my Panorama P1 with Reaper 6.29 on my Macbook Pro running OS 10.14. I struggled to set the P1 up with Reaper - after careful following of instructions, the P1 would not respond to Reaper and refused to leave Internal mode. Finally, I saw a tip here on the forums to make sure the MIDI In/Out was set to ReWire Host in Control Surface Settings, and now the unit can recognize Reaper.

Now, however, I find the following: I must turn the unit off and on again, then start Reaper. The unit will respond to inputs for a moment (for example, pressing play in the P1's transport section will indeed make Reaper start playing). After seemingly a few seconds, though, or one or two button presses, the unit stops responding. The screen freezes in whichever mode it is currently in, and though pressing the different Mixer/Instrument/Transport/Internal buttons will cause their respective LED's to light up, nothing else happens. Reaper does not respond to the inputs, either. The only way to produce a response is to close Reaper, disconnect the P1 from power, and try again, only to repeat the cycle.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?
A Redtail Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
A Redtail Hawk
Human being with feelings

Default Problem solved!

It seems the issue was with MIDI communication! I contacted Nektar support, who responded quickly and referred me to this page:

https://nektartech.com/midi-communication-issues/

Following instructions there I downloaded "MIDI Monitor" and saw quickly that the the P1 wasn't transmitting MIDI info. I power-cycled the unit and saw the pattern hold up: 1-2 seconds of successful communication, then a freeze. I have the P1 plugged into a powered USB hub, so I tried plugging it directly into a laptop USB port and the problem vanished. I then went and tested more USB slots on the hub and frustratingly found several more bad ports before finding one that finally transmitted MIDI information without freezing (so far - fingers crossed).

I'm a bit puzzled by these findings. All the ports I identified as "bad" are ports I've successfully used with USB mics, cameras, hard drives, etc. without issue in the past! I don't quite understand why MIDI info would be different. Any explanations would be very welcome.

In summary, I solved my P1 Reaper installation and setup issues by:

1) Ensuring MIDI In/Out was set to ReWire Host in the Control Surface Settings, which enabled the unit to recognize Reaper and leave internal mode.
2) Using MIDI Monitor to check for successful MIDI communication between the P1 and my computer. When it didn't exist, I tried a different USB port and solved my issue.

I hope this ends up being helpful to someone else!
A Redtail Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote