Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
hesnotthemessiah
Human being with feelings

Default Slate's Virtual Mix Rack not appearing in FX Browser

Been spending the last 4 hours trying to get Slate Digital's Virtual Mix Rack VST2 or VST3 latest version 2.5.7.0 to appear in my Reaper 5.99 fx browser with no success. Windows 10 HomeVersion 1909 (11/7/20).

The reaper-vstplugins64.ini file shows this:-

Virtual_Mix_Rack.vst3=002138BED106D701,536694764
Virtual_Mix_Rack.dll=002138BED106D701

With no plugin and developer's name, this would seem to indicate an error. Slate Digital's Fresh Air appears correctly like this:-

Fresh_Air.vst3=00D1EEBA86C1D601,1158173615,Fresh Air (Slate Digital)

Installed various combinations of just the VST2, both the VST2+ VST3 and just the VST3. I deleted the Virtual_Mix_Rack entries from the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file after each fresh install before loading Reaper. Once installed, both formats then get recognised by Reaper when starting up as indicated in the load up screen. But no sign of them in Reaper's fx browser once Reaper opens. The VST2 and 3 versions are installed to standard locations where my other plugins are located.

Checked everything to do with iLok - all correct - iLok license activated and inserted in this PC. But this doesn't seem to be an iLok issue as I think a screen would come up either whilst loading Reaper or whilst loading the plugin within Reaper itself, to request authentication if this wasn't done automatically.

Anyone had any luck?

This following very probably has no relevance.....but just incase....

Actually I told a little lie there. As an act of desperation, I tried to load VRM VST2 in the latest version of Reason but came up as an error with the Reason plugin management section showing the plugin's manufacturer as not recognised and "unknown error".

The reaper-vstplugins64.ini file now shows this:-

sentry.dll=00F7F73CC70BD701

Regarding the line:-

sentry.dll=00F7F73CC70BD701

I had spent the last 4 hours deleting:-

from the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file whilst trying to install it correctly.
The "sentry.dll=00F7F73CC70BD701" only appeared after trying to load VRM VST2 in Reason so it's not an issue in the case of VRM not appearing in Reaper. I am always deleting stuff from the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file to keep it manageable and never noticed a "sentry.dll" entry before. But, on searching online, it "reads and writes its settings in the system registry. "Settings" include the names of dictionary files to open and options to enable." This would seem to indicate a connection to Reason's use of VST plugins. Although I can't actually find a sentry.dll file.
hesnotthemessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Funkybot

It works here without issue.

Did you completely uninstall the plugin using the uninstaller and reinstall from scratch? VMR uses resources located in another directory and if those other resource files are jacked up, the plugin will crash on load. I suspect that's what happened in your setup.

Either remove all things VMR related (check Documents\Slate\Slate Digital, Program Data\Slate Digital, Users\AppData\Roaming\Slate Digital, maybe registry keys) and reinstall or contact Slate Digital support.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
hesnotthemessiah

Hi Funkybot.

Yes completely uninstalled with the installer. Deleted the VRM folder in the ProgramData folder. I checked Documents\Slate\Slate Digital and Users\AppData\Roaming\Slate Digital and there is nothing there. Don't know about registry keys - wouldn't know what to do really.

Since posting I have been in contact with Slate Digital and followed their advice (pretty much what I have already done) but also included restarting my computer between uninstalling and reinstalling. But still have the same issue.

The reaper-vstplugins64.ini file shows this:-

Does yours show this format or does it also include the plugin and developer's name? I can only find one other plugin in my reaper-vstplugins64.ini file that appears without the plugin and developer's name and that particular plugin also does not appear in the Reaper FX Browser.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Funkybot

It shows as...

Virtual_Mix_Rack.vst3=00E9284030B9D601,536694764,V irtual Mix Rack (Slate Digital)

and...

Virtual_Mix_Rack.dll=00E9284030B9D601,1447909458,V irtual Mix Rack (Slate Digital)

...maybe try a portable install of the latest Reaper build, and rescan the failed plugins (this is a feature not available in 5.99 without rescanning everything).
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
hesnotthemessiah

just rescanned everything but, as I expected, no difference. Still not appearing in Reapers FX Browser. Just have to admit defeat and hope I have no problem getting a refund........
Old 05-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
poetnprophet

Did it work before the update, are you able to revert to previous version? Or, are you new to the whole VMR?

I feel for you either way, I love everything SD and if my stuff failed I'd have to jump off the end of the earth! Hope it gets worked out.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
hesnotthemessiah

Hi poetprophet. Yes, got it working by installing the VST2 version to another folder that I have assigned for plugins on my hard drive. Just can't use the VST3 version. I only reinstalled VMR because I purchased the FG-Stress for a good price. The problem was not to do with Reaper not locating the plugins on startup as they appeared in the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file as:-

Just some problem somewhere with Reaper not being able to locate something correctly when the plugin is installed to the standard VST3 and VST2 locations (which are the locations the VRM plugin installer initially allocates. The installer allows you to choose a different location for the VST2 version if you wish. Prior to this VRM installation, I know I installed VRM a while ago but uninstalled it soon after demoing. May have been the same problem then? Or maybe there is a problem with this old install from a while back where I may well have installed the standard VST3 and VST2 locations leaving something somewhere which is preventing Reaper from loading VRM these locations now.

VST2 also wouldn't load from the standard VST2 location in Reason standalone version 11. Reason found it but had an error. So this really indicates an installation issue and not a Reaper issue.

Slate Digital were quite helpful but suprised that there was an issue using Reaper and couldn't give any new suggestions. Might well need to sort out my registry.....but that could be a dangerous path. Best to just stick with VST2 as I am not missing out on any major features and VST2 should be supported for a few more years.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #8
Skorobagatko

I have similar issue with BFD3, Reaper can't see it, it's in the "plugins that failed to scan" menu.
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:46 PM   #9
mr.cello

Default Solved?

I was having the same problem with on my main machine with Reaper 7.X and Slate Digital VMR. I tried the various things suggested here and by Slate support, including editing the VST INI file to put a name and manufacturer. The last resulted in the plugin showing up in the FX selector; however, plugin still wouldn't load.

To see if it was perhaps an issue with 7.X (I hadn't used the plugin in a VERY long time) I checked on my laptop installation which still had reaper 6.x and it was working. Figuring what the hell, I copied that VST INI to my main machine and low and behold after it rescanned most (all?) plugins, it is now working!

So something was wonky with the INI file, or the scanning for that Reaper install. I suspect the latter as I tried deleting the INI file (which forces a rescan) and that didn't help. So who knows? I did submit an email to Cockos for support, Assuming they respond I will share above with them in case helps them understand what is going on there.
mr.cello is offline   Reply With Quote