Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
777funk
Human being with feelings

Default Can't seem to get ANY plugins to work (VST /.dlls or Native Linux). Tutorial?

I'm a long term Linux and Reaper user but now bringing the two together and having very little luck.

I would like just a few basics (VSTi for an analog synth, piano, organ).
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
rothchild

What distro are you using?

I installed AV linux and it came with hundreds of plugs, also relatively easy to get Yabridge working on vsts + all the JSFX and Reaplugs are there and ready to go when you install/run Reaper.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
777funk

I've got Ubuntu 20.04 and the stock reaper plugins work great. But .dlls I've used for years in Windows cannot be loaded it seems. I tried Carla, but it only picks up on VST2 and a few other formats (not VST).
Old 05-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Your native Linux VST plugins are all *.so files. If those don't work, you've done something wrong in a more basic sense.

DLLs: you mean Windows VST plugins. Those don't work in Linux. You can make some of work, but they need to be "bridged" in one way or another. (Carla is one way, of course.) See the threads about this, on this forum. "How to use Windows plugins in Reaper for Linux", anything on Yabridge and Wine. There's lots of discussion about it on this forum. Some recent versions of Wine-staging cause problems with Windows VST plugins too, so you might be rolling that back (version 6.4 seems good).

As for Carla "not picking up VST", I don't know what that means. VST2 is VST. I use Yabridge anyway.

Also some Windows VST won't work in Linux; their copy protection/software centers/etc. have difficulties working in Linux for various reasons and it's doubtful they ever will.

Linux shouldn't be thought of as a "Windows replacement". Making Windows software work in Linux takes learning, time and effort. If you're lucky it may not be a big deal.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 05-20-2021 at 12:42 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
777funk

Sorry for the confusion or lack of clarity on my part there!

Reapers (Cockos) plugins all work great. It's just the Windows (.dll) or Native (not Cockos) plugins that I can't seem to get to work.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
rothchild

Have a look at this:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
Reapers (Cockos) plugins all work great. It's just the Windows (.dll) or Native (not Cockos) plugins that I can't seem to get to work.
Make sure your native plug-ins are built for the correct CPU architecture - one of the most common reasons for things not to work (and this would 'technically' be true of a Windows system too) is trying to use 32Bit plug-ins with a 64Bit host / OS for example. I would expect most native Linux plug-ins would now be 64Bit. My company makes some plug-ins specifically for Linux, and as the developer, I currently test on Ubuntu 20.04LTS with Reaper so I would be surprised if these didn't work for you (or more specifically if they don't then it may point to something fundamentally off with your system configuration)

https://www.acmt.co.uk/products/
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
JamesPeters

As Mike said above, maybe it's the confusion of 32-bit and 64-bit. You may be running the 32-bit version of Reaper for Linux without realizing it. "x86_64" (sometimes known as "AMD64") is 64-bit. i686 is 32-bit. ARM is for things like Raspberry Pi. So if you have the correct version of Reaper, then be sure to check if you have the correct versions of the plugins.

I almost hate to ask: did you specify the correct path(s) to your Linux VST plugins in Reaper's preferences?
Old 05-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
777funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@overtonedsp View Post
Make sure your native plug-ins are built for the correct CPU architecture - one of the most common reasons for things not to work (and this would 'technically' be true of a Windows system too) is trying to use 32Bit plug-ins with a 64Bit host / OS for example. I would expect most native Linux plug-ins would now be 64Bit. My company makes some plug-ins specifically for Linux, and as the developer, I currently test on Ubuntu 20.04LTS with Reaper so I would be surprised if these didn't work for you (or more specifically if they don't then it may point to something fundamentally off with your system configuration)

https://www.acmt.co.uk/products/
Well those work great! So I am incorrect about Native plugins not working... I just must not be finding the right native plugins. Nice compressor by the way!

VST dlls on the other hand I cannot seem to get to work. Maybe its a good time to just say good bye to all the old dlls I've been using since 2004 or so. Most aren't all the great anyways but some of the synth vstis I will miss.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
JamesPeters

You've had some of those plugins since 2004? That means they're 32-bit Windows VST plugins.

Does Carla work with 32-bit Windows VST plugins? Or do you need a separate Wine prefix for them? Since I use Yabridge, and have never tried Carla, I've probably had it easier.

You don't necessarily have to give up on them. But I would recommend Yabridge at least.