Old 11-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
cole.o
Human being with feelings

Default playback is slow

Okay, so I recently got a MacBook Pro, and I have been having issues with Reaper ever since. (mostly because of Catalina, but that I fixed that by going back to Mojave) But now the issue is that the playback seems to be in extreme slow-mo even though it is set at the normal rate... Has anyone encountered this issue and have a solution or any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
cole.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
nait

I don't do Macs, but I'll take a stab in the dark until someone else has a better idea...

We'll assume that you're not newbie enough to have simply changed the tempo
Next newbie thing, but less newbie.. check that the playback rate (in the same general area) is still set to 1.0.

Outside that, I would wonder though if your sample rate in Reaper is not matching whatever your audio interface / sound card is either set to or capable of. So perhaps check that.. check in Preferences->Audio->Devices. If you didn't tick the box that says to request a rate, it should just default to whatever the driver of the card has set the sample rate to. Even if you check that though and pick something, it should still work, afaik.. but maybe not if you have some oddball value in there.

Lastly, if you have multiple audio devices, make sure you're using the right one, and make sure that it is using the latest drivers. That said, sometimes the latest driver isn't the best driver, so maybe share what audio interface you use, in case there is a known issue with it. You could also try an older driver even (if you have the newest installed), just in case.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
nait

Just Googled up this thread too, so if any of the above doesn't help, maybe look there too for other ideas: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=66121
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
cole.o

Okay, I think I figured it out.. I had my interface plugged into my computer, but in preferences/device I had selected "allow use of different input and output devices" / default system output, and was trying to playback with my computers speakers. I guess there was some sort of interference or something from my interface?? I unplugged my interface and restarted Reaper and it worked fine. lol I assume once I actually get my monitors hooked up (tomorrow) and select my interface as my output as well, it'll be fine. if not ill be back. haha

-Thank you for your help and response.
cole.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
serr

There's a reason that feature isn't recommended...

Probably a sample rate conflict though. Anyway, make an aggregate device to use multiple interfaces together (like external + built-in).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote