Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
jimmey
Human being with feelings

Default Request track infos via OSC

Is it possible to send some request via OSC that makes Reaper dump for example info about the first 8 tracks (volume, pan etc.)?
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
jrp

i´d be interested as well!
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Banned

Yes, you can trigger the REAPER action "Control surface: refresh all surfaces" (Cmd ID: 41743), which sends all current parameter values. Assuming you have a track bank size of (at least) 8 and haven't switched track banks to another bank, this will also the send track volume and pan parameter values for the firs 8 tracks (using e.g. the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file).

Example:
Code:
/action [i] 41743
or
Code:
/action/41743

Last edited by Banned; 03-05-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: fixed typo; added example messages
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
jrp

hey thanks!
works grat! you gave me just the right hint last time as well.

For performance, do you have any idea how i could get reaper, instead of sending a complete dump - to send out only certain infos like just the track name and track number (and maybe track fx names and slots).

I am thinking of adding a display (with midibox.ng hardware) that displays such infos
Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
For performance, do you have any idea how i could get reaper, instead of sending a complete dump - to send out only certain infos like just the track name and track number (and maybe track fx names and slots).
No - this action is an 'all or nothing' approach.

To minimize the data flow, I only know how to (1) comment out / delete anything not needed in the .ReaperOSC configuration file, and (2) buffer all the received data in some kind of middleware (e.g. OSCII-bot, Pure data), and only send subsets of that data to the OSC client device when needed.

However, in practice, REAPER already handles most of this in quite an efficient manner, though; e.g. when you select a new track, you get all the data (such as track effect names and slots) for that track. So perhaps you should simply send an OSC message to select a specific track to trigger the appropriate response?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
I am thinking of adding a display (with midibox.ng hardware) that displays such infos
Sounds like a cool project! Perhaps post some results when you're done?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
jrp

definitly will!
I only started digging into this osc thing and spend a few days getting into pure data. Amazing.
I must have overlooked that reaper sends track/mute/toggle for every selected track, not just track/x/mute...

I got a nice 24 track layout for the launchpad almost finished, together with a little lcd and some knobs to twist this will be a dream come true.
I´ll post something as soon as i think it´s bug free.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:41 AM   #7
mreap

Default How to read data from reaper?

I'm trying to read the plugin state from reaper but I have still no success so far.

I very often read from the REAPER action "Control surface: refresh all surfaces" (Cmd ID: 41743), but I do not understand where the response can be read.

My goal is to read the data via a python script in order to show the state of reaper plugins and to control them.
mreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:58 AM   #8
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper Forums !

You post this as an answer to an "OSC" thread, but you don't mention OSC in your message. Do you want to use OSC ? Do you want to use OSC just because you want to remote-Control Reaper via a network or because of other reasons ?

To remote control / watch Reaper via a network by a Python program "Beyond Python" is the most appropriate tool. It uses the OSC protocol to provide the Reaper API as Python class in the external Python program. (A friend of mine happily uses this a lot)

If you want your Python code to run within Reaper (as a "Reaper Script"), "Reapy" seems tool worth looking at. No OSC here, at all. (I have no experience with that one, so please ask in the "Script" forum.)

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 AM   #9
mreap

I'm very, very sorry. Was a little confused as I started that question and I posted that question here. Originally I wanted to start a new thread.

I've started a new thread here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227090

I'm very sorry

--------------------------

Yes, I want to read out the states via osc-command. I use python-OSC for that.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #10
mreap

Thanks a lot. "Beyond Python" seems the way it is.