Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #121
carbon
Human being with feelings

I'll throw another one in the mix (not that there aren't enough already )

http://www.kv331audio.com/

I made also one of the demo tunes for it - "Codex"

Maybe some more experienced synth users can comment on the sound quality.
But I think it fits well with the inexpensive/all-rounder criteria.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #122
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Unfortunately I don't get OT were I work but hey....rictheobscene
all donations are gladly accepted
Well, it was worth a shot.

Well, if I see your kidney for sale on ebay, at least I will know it is for a good cause.
rictheobscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #123
rictheobscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post

I have heard a lot of good things about this one. I tried the demo and was duly impressed. While it is definitely just as good as many of the synths I have, it did a lot of the same things that my current synths do.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you don't have a healthy assortment of synths, this is definitely worth the asking price and will meet a lot of your needs. It does what it does really well. However, I have Zebra, Alchemy, Z3TA+, Rapture, Albino, CronoX 3, Discovery Pro, and several others, so it was hard for it to stand out and get me to buy it. But, if I did not already have the others, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #124
Peevy

[IMG]http://img267.**************/img267/5808/oatmeal.png[/IMG]

Absolutely loving Oatmeal right now!!
So I still haven't got round to buying Ace yet, or any other synth for that matter. But I was bored & I wanted to start a project with Drumaxx. So I load up Oatmeal & ooohh...wheee!! this stuff is tasty!! I still cant believe this Synth is free. its original skin is ugly as hell, but once you get the extras (skins & banks) this FREE synth can blow a lot of the expensive commercial synths away... easily.

Besides this stuff is good for you!

I'd still like your opinion on which other synth to buy besides Ace:

KarmaFX Synth Modular or Rhino??
Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #125
faun2500

Zebra 2.5 is one of the biggest synths ive tried. I want it.

Rob Papen - Blue is my most used synth and is one of the best. Albino is a great synth too.
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #126
cmw

I have to agree with the Oatmeal love.

I already had oatmeal installed, but I wasn't impressed ... being more of a preset guy, and less of a knob-twiddler.

This thread caused me to go download the presets and skins pack and give it another shot, and I'm loving it. It can generate some truly lush sounds.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #127
technogremlin

Quote:
Absolutely loving Oatmeal right now!!

So I load up Oatmeal & ooohh...wheee!! this stuff is tasty!! I still cant believe this Synth is free. its original skin is ugly as hell, but once you get the extras (skins & banks) this FREE synth can blow a lot of the expensive commercial synths away... easily.
I think this is the moment to say: I told you so
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #128
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post

i hate to poop the party but i found this synth to very bland and lifeless when compared to other major players. it has plenty of modulation possibilities but the filters and oscillators are really lacking something imo.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #129
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy;479153
I'd still like your opinion on which other synth to buy besides Ace:

[color=red
KarmaFX Synth Modular or Rhino??[/color]
if you are really into oatmeal then i would say get karmafx as oatmeal and rhino share similar sonic qualities. rhino is ultimately more powerful as it has more oscillators and mseg's but you will be suprised how close you can get to it's sound with oatmeal. in fact, for pads oatmeal may have the edge with it's slightly quirky chorus implementation(that sounds more like a unison than a chorus) - check a lot of the pads(especially the choir pads) in nolwenn's banks for proof.

plus rhino and karmafx couldn't be more different sonically. karma has a very chunky and solid sound whereas rhino has a thin (but beautiful like oatmeals thin 'ness') sound - it is an FM hybrid synth after all.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #130
shaun5150

I have been using Gladiator 2 by Tone 2 on a recent project.....awesome sounds ....!!

http://www.tone2.com/index.html
shaun5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #131
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I think this is the moment to say: I told you so
Yes you did technogremlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
i hate to poop the party but i found this synth to very bland and lifeless when compared to other major players. it has plenty of modulation possibilities but the filters and oscillators are really lacking something imo.
I have to agree with ya there about Synthmaster. I also thought a lot of the presets depended very heavily on FX.

Quote:
if you are really into oatmeal then i would say get karmafx as oatmeal and rhino share similar sonic qualities. rhino is ultimately more powerful as it has more oscillators and mseg's but you will be suprised how close you can get to it's sound with oatmeal. in fact, for pads oatmeal may have the edge with it's slightly quirky chorus implementation(that sounds more like a unison than a chorus) - check a lot of the pads(especially the choir pads) in nolwenn's banks for proof.

plus rhino and karmafx couldn't be more different sonically. karma has a very chunky and solid sound whereas rhino has a thin (but beautiful like oatmeals thin 'ness') sound - it is an FM hybrid synth after all.
Thanks bladerunner, I am leaning more towards KarmaFX at the moment. Oatmeal is an amazing synth & what makes it more amazing is the fact that its free. I'm gonna play with it some more later.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #132
mtsproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun5150 View Post
I have been using Gladiator 2 by Tone 2 on a recent project.....awesome sounds ....!!

http://www.tone2.com/index.html
+1 on gladiator, BUT
I think gladiator is trying too hard to sound and look like Zeta+ which i still think is a huge synth and my go to for huge analog sounds only @ $99 vs gladiator @ $199 and there are many more expansions for zeta+ alot of free ones too.......
I have tried Alchemy and was not too impressed with it.......
i do have their camel phat and camel space which are great and i use them all the time.......
Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #133
mtsproductions

Quote:
I am leaning more towards KarmaFX at the moment.
If you like KarmaFX then youl like Zeta+ check it out

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/...5-CWZ31.40-20E
Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #134
carbon

One more contender, how does this sound to you?
http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_GlassViper.html

Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #135
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
i've been playing around with dahornet today.
I have an actual Wasp in the cupboard, but dahornet is somewhat more stable! The Wasp has a way of deciding to play all on its own...
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #136
bassybill

I've been playing around with my memorymoon (virtual Memorymoog) and messiah (virtual Prophet) plugs today and they're fantastic if you want to do everything the originals could do and a lot more. In particular, the addtional oscillator on the Moog (to make it 3 per voice) adds a whole new dimension that you can't get into with 2 oscillator-per-voice subtractive synths.

I have had a few issues getting these to run reliably in Reaper, but they seem to be sorted now. If you like the old Moog and Prophet vibe then these really do get it for you, imo.
bassybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #137
bassybill

The other one I'm really into (had it a while longer) is OP-X from Sonic Projects. If you want fat, fat, fat old school analogue polysynth a la Oberheim then this does the job. I have the Pro version now, but the regular doesn't lack many of the Pro features, really. You can't go wrong with either.

For a more modern take on classic analogue synth structure, UltraAnalog is great. I don't use it a lot, but when I do it certainly has its own distinct sound. Very airy and open without the extreme raunch of the Oberheim plug-in.
bassybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #138
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd View Post
If you like it check out my 3 banks for it (some of the 100 are also in the factory patches):

200 in total

100 bank

Heavy Industry

Odds and Sods
Well I gave Oatmeal a bit of rest for a while & thought I'd fire up Ace. I finally got round to checking out your patch Banks aMUSED...I must say a lot of very excellent sounds going on there. You really have built up a large collection of decent patches in such a short space of time, I think Ace was released December 2009. Good job mate & thanks again for uploading them.

Now hopefully I'm gonna be buying Ace sometime this week.

Oh & Wusikstation has realeased Version 6

http://www.wusik.com/w/wusikstation.html
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #139
jens

Quote:
*gosh*

Sorry, but Oatmeal is really not at all like Rhino - I'm wondering what makes you think so... oO :-/

Rhino hasn't just 'more oscillators and mseg's ' - besides the envelopes are really one of Rhino's major strengths and if you make good use of them you can't get anywhere close with Oatmeal at all...

Last edited by jens; 03-30-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: removed typos and more...
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 AM   #140
bladerunner

my post is based upon personal experience with programming both. it has a lot do with the fact that they both have additive capabilities (which i make a lot of use of when shaping the timbre of a sound as opposed to using filters). i was able to get very close to some of rhinos demo patches with oatmeal - not exact but good enough for within a mix.

rhino is undoubtably a better and more capable synth but for the purpose of this thread i thought it would make a cheaper (ie. free!!!) alternative to rhino.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #141
jens

well, what can I say?

Perhaps you use Rhino in a fairly limited way, so that you can indeed achieve similar results with Oatmeal, that's fair enough, however in your post you recommended not to buy Rhino but a different synth instead, because of this alleged close similarity.

Neither reasonable nor particularly fair* imho.

*not to Big Tick, not to the one seeking advice, not even to yourself (you might believe it after all)
Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #142
jens

here's a small snippet of one single instance of Rhino - this is really just one oscillator using a sine-wave, without any fx:

http://www.prinziphoffnung.com/mp3/Rhino1.mp3

(this of course doesn't make too much sense musically since it's just a soloed backing track of a song)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #143
rictheobscene

I just started tinkering around with Oatmeal, but I have not found a lot of similarities between it and Rhino. Maybe I am just too new to Oatmeal. I think they are both great pieces, but each definitely has its own characteristic, IMHO.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #144
jens

One thing that seperates a truly great synth like Rhino from a nice synth like Oeatmeal is the ability to create complex key and velocity functions.

Also the importance of MIDI controlling beyond key and velocity functions should not be underestimated. Rhino is truly excellent in this regard.

To properly judge a synth you can't just play C3@127 and that's it.

Another huge point is that there are different ways to make the timbre of Rhino's oscillators change over time (FM / waveshaping) (and it can also be a function (or part of a more complex function) of key, velocity and further MIDI-contol).

And then of course Rhino is also able to use multi-samples as oscillator waveforms.

But I've got the idea that I have already mentioned most of this here in this very thread.,,,
Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #145
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
well, what can I say?

Perhaps you use Rhino in a fairly limited way, so that you can indeed achieve similar results with Oatmeal, that's fair enough, however in your post you recommended not to buy Rhino but a different synth instead, because of this alleged close similarity.

*not to Big Tick, not to the one seeking advice, not even to yourself (you might believe it after all)
I think bladerunner is trying to be helpful, probably realising that I'm not
really up for buying all three synths. Apart from his opinion of there being some sonic similarities between Oatmeal & Rhino, He's maybe also taking into account the fact that I have stated in previous posts my preference to the the UI of KarmaFX. I have used Rhino a bit more since then & have come up with some really good sounds & definitely agree that it is an amazing synth. But then I also think that of KarmaFX & Ace, & I still enjoy sculpting a patch more in, first KarmaFX & then Ace.

I know Ace is somewhat limited in comparison to some of the other synths I've tried lately but its the sound, its hard to make this synth sound bad . As for KarmaFX, it just instantly clicked with me, I didn't feel the need to read the manual I found the UI so comfortable. But you cant go by the UI alone, it also sounds amazing too.

In my opinion Ace, Rhino & KarmaFX are the best sub £100 synths out there. Believe me If I had the money I'd buy all three.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #146
jens

Quote:

In my opinion Ace, Rhino & KarmaFX are the best sub £100 synths out there. Believe me If I had the money I'd buy all three.
and all three are radically different from each other - that's what makes your decision a thoroughly tough one - and to make it even more difficult for you:

Talking about great sub £100 you should neither disregard Kinisis!

http://www.progressaudio.co.uk/Kinisis/KinisisMain.html
Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #147
jens

and just to make it totally clear:

I'm not attempting to lure you into buying Rhino (or any other synth for the matter) - that's up to you entirely - I can't and won't give any advice regrading your decision - you need to make up your own mind and there's no need at all to defend or explain the choice you end up with to anyone.

For me it's just about getting the facts straight (in order to give you as much info as possible, no overly simplified shortcuts allowed imo), that's all.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #148
rictheobscene

Quote:
and just to make it totally clear:

I'm not attempting to lure you into buying Rhino (or any other synth for the matter) - that's up to you entirely - I can't and won't give any advice regrading your decision - you need to make up your own mind and there's no need at all to defend or explain the choice you end up with to anyone.

For me it's just about getting the facts straight (in order to give you as much info as possible, no simplified shortcuts allowed imo), that's all.
Dude, we know the Tickster has you on the payroll to plant subliminal messages that will increase sales.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #149
jens

Dang - busted wide open!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #150
technogremlin

Peevy, just to give you yet another option to play with... and of course I wouldn't mention this one if it wasn't free

MassTurboTar - http://www.kvraudio.com/developer_ch...09.php#dc09_35

I wasn't to impressed with it at first until I got the idea behind it: load up several patches in the left top part of the synth and realtime morph between them. Big fun
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #151
bladerunner

Quote:
well, what can I say?

i must admit, i don't take full advantage of even oatmeals capabilities let alone rhino's. my comments were based upon my fairly limited usage of rhino and within the context of the thread. i had just noticed certain similarities in sound whilst i was using rhino's demo - i used it for about a month as i was very much into the idea of buying it at the time - i still might as it is one of the only softsynths that, for me, doesn't sound like a softsynth(if that makes sense!). yes, perhaps i was being a little unfair to bigtick as it is a much more powerful synth than oatmeal. i was just trying to be helpful to the op's dillema.

loved the patch/sequence btw. i could imagine it sitting buried in an autechre track. i would have a lot of trouble replicating that with oatmeal although i may well give it a try...
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #152
jens

Quote:
- i still might as it is one of the only softsynths that, for me, doesn't sound like a softsynth(if that makes sense!).
Yes, that makes total sense... I bet that's at least partly due to the key and velocity functions I mentioned - they make it possible for Rhino to sound much more expressive and 'organic' than synths which lack such possibilities

Quote:

loved the patch/sequence btw. i could imagine it sitting buried in an autechre track. i would have a lot of trouble replicating that with oatmeal although i may well give it a try...

it's mainly fairly long notes... the rhythm is actually part of the patch by the use of several envelopes

and it's really just one sine-oscillator without any fx! oO
Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #153
mtsproductions

Jens you sure sound like you work for Big Tick

I have the demo version of Rhino and just have not been able to get sounds that iam looking for out of it, I have no doubt that its a powerful synth but i need something that keeps the inspiration and work flow going, so I usually start with the presets and if i hear something i like Ill use it as is, mostly i just tweak every single knob and slider that you can find to my liking but i just cant seem to get that sound with Rhino, oh and I cant stand the GUI, too many numbers looks like a math tutorial rather than a synth...
Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #154
Peevy

I keep hearing about how CPU hungry Ace is so I thought I'd test it out on my system. I started a project with 10 instances of Ace running all with different patches but all at the highest quality setting, plus SSD-EX with 11 output tracks. And just for good measure I put IIEQ Pro on every track & Reacomp on most tracks (23 Tracks in total). The CPU use was averaging around 32%, which I thought was very acceptable considering the fact that Ace is supposed to be so taxing on the CPU. I'd say this would probably shoot up to about 45% with a few more Vox tracks added. Most of my projects actually average around 45% CPU so no big deal then.

Maybe its because I'm using a quad core CPU, plus I do have it overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3.05ghz. I think for the quality of sound Ace produces, its worth that extra hit on the CPU.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #155
bladerunner

Quote:
I keep hearing about how CPU hungry Ace is so I thought I'd test it out on my system. I started a project with 10 instances of Ace running all with different patches but all at the highest quality setting, plus SSD-EX with 11 output tracks. And just for good measure I put IIEQ Pro on every track & Reacomp on most tracks (23 Tracks in total). The CPU use was averaging around 32%, which I thought was very acceptable considering the fact that Ace is supposed to be so taxing on the CPU. I'd say this would probably shoot up to about 45% with a few more Vox tracks added. Most of my projects actually average around 45% CPU so no big deal then.

Maybe its because I'm using a quad core CPU, plus I do have it overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3.05ghz. I think for the quality of sound Ace produces, its worth that extra hit on the CPU.
ACE's cpu usage really depends upon the routing in your patch and polyphony. when i was scrolling through the patches in the demo a couple of them sent the cpu up to around 45 - 50% when playing some 4 and 5 note chords (i have a core 2 duo 2.33 ghz processor). your pc sounds a lot more capable with ACE than mine!!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #156
bladerunner

Quote:
here's a small snippet of one single instance of Rhino - this is really just one oscillator using a sine-wave, without any fx:

http://www.prinziphoffnung.com/mp3/Rhino1.mp3

(this of course doesn't make too much sense musically since it's just a soloed backing track of a song)
i had a quick go at replicating your patch jens. i cheated a bit as i had to use 2 instances of oatmeal. i also had to stay within the limitations of the arpegiator (i could have used midi to trigger the notes i have missed but that would have been even more cheating ). i also had to use a saw instead of a sine for the second 'line' of the patch - i am guessing you were using some FM somewhere in your patch? i used some filter mod instead.

it is all held notes - no extra midi going on.

http://www.box.net/shared/mbd5lykube

...yes, rhino is a far more powerful beast!

Last edited by bladerunner; 04-03-2010 at 02:53 AM.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #157
rictheobscene

SYNTH WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May the fattest sound win
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #158
technogremlin

Quote:
I think you just proved how powerful Oatmeal is, (almost) replicating a Rhino patch with just the two oscillators that Oatmeal has. Building big sounds with something like Rhino is fairly simple with the big line-up of oscillators, filters, envelopes and what not. The fact that Oatmeal can come close with just two oscillators is impressive.

Rhino is a BIG synth, Oatmeal in comparison on a functional scale is much more powerful... apples and oranges me thinks

Now, did anyone take a look/listen to massTurboTar ?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #159
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I think you just proved how powerful Oatmeal is, (almost) replicating a Rhino patch with just the two oscillators that Oatmeal has. Building big sounds with something like Rhino is fairly simple with the big line-up of oscillators, filters, envelopes and what not. The fact that Oatmeal can come close with just two oscillators is impressive.

Rhino is a BIG synth, Oatmeal in comparison on a functional scale is much more powerful... apples and oranges me thinks

Now, did anyone take a look/listen to massTurboTar ?
well, yes i did use just 2 oscillators but i had to use 2 instances of oatmeal to make use of 3 drawable LFO's. so i did cheat a bit! i only managed to capture about 75% of jens patch as i think there is some frequency mod in his that oatmeal just can't do.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #160
jens

Quote:
i had a quick go at replicating your patch jens. i cheated a bit as i had to use 2 instances of oatmeal. i also had to stay within the limitations of the arpegiator (i could have used midi to trigger the notes i have missed but that would have been even more cheating ). i also had to use a saw instead of a sine for the second 'line' of the patch - i am guessing you were using some FM somewhere in your patch? i used some filter mod instead.

it is all held notes - no extra midi going on.

http://www.box.net/shared/mbd5lykube

not bad at all...