Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
JohnnyMusic
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Goes Unresponsive Playing Video

Hello everyone, I posted this in newbieland and got no responses, so thought maybe someone with reaper video experience can help. I'll take any suggestions. Thanks.

Been learning/using Reaper for audio recording and mixing for about 4-5 years.
I am now just starting to learn to use some of the video functions. My goal is to eventually create some videos to go with some finished stereo audio tracks.

So I created a project, pulled in an mp3 of a song for audio, and a short stock mp4 video to experiment with.

It seems that when the video window is docked, everything plays back fine (edit, not quite, see below, it appears it will occur just after docking or undocking).
However, if the video window is floating, reaper becomes unresponsive with the blue spinning circle as soon as the play line hits the audio.
The audio keeps playing but I can't use the keyboard, task manager says reaper is not responding.

edit: After some experimenting, changing the docking status seems to bring on the crash (that is, if I have just docked, or just undocked, then play the file, reaper goes unresponsive when the play cursor hits the video clip, even though it was playing ok before changing from docked to undocked or vice versa.

I downloaded the latest VLC player, ffmpeg as one of Jon Tidy's videos suggested.
I set the grid to frames, fps to 29.97 to match the video, and set it to ND (didn't know whether to use ND or DF?).

Anything else I may be missing, settings or preferences wise or otherwise, than may be causing this? Again I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks for any ideas!

My system:
Windows 8.1
AMD 8350 4 ghz processor
32 gigs RAM
Nvidia Gforce 210 graphics card
Reaper 5.99 and windows both 64 bit

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 05-12-2020 at 09:24 AM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #2
JohnnyMusic
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Goes Unresponsive Playing Video

Just bumping my previous post...

Anyone have any idea why reaper goes unresponsive when playing a video after either docking or undocking the video window?
Thanks!
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote