Old 08-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
ArtemiHo
Human being with feelings

Default Loop Bug? Maschine flamming

Hello

I'm hearing a weird double triggering on a loop repeat mode.

I switch maschine scenes inside Reaper with midi items.
Everything works fine until you insert a loop section

The first part of the loop gets a flam on the second repeat
The flamming (double triggering) doesn’t occur on the next (3rd, 4th) repeats, very strange..
It's like after the second repeat Reaper knows that it's a loop and won't look ahead of the item...

But it happens every time if you loop it with a region playlist!

https://youtu.be/u5MadY2ngnA

This doesn't happen in Ableton for example, so what can cause this behavior in Reaper?

p.s. a regular scene transition without Reaper’s loop\time selections seems to work just fine.
thanks for checking.

Last edited by ArtemiHo; 10-12-2021 at 02:59 AM.
ArtemiHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
ArtemiHo

bump!
it seems that the problem was there many years ago,
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=8912
but it's still there just in the different form?

Seems like when in loop mode, reaper is not considering a loop start point as the NEXT part, but rather it just assumes that the next part goes after the loop.
Which is correct, but not when you're looping...

Last edited by ArtemiHo; 10-12-2021 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:09 AM   #3
hexSPA

I've been getting weird loop issues too. One with S-Gear, one with MTurboAmp, and one with MIDI and Addictive Keys.

With S-Gear, it was happening in 3/8 time signature where the metronome would glitch out on repeat.

With MTurboAmp, there was a little crunch sound on loop.

With MIDI, it was with a clip adjacent to the loop start. Sometimes reaper doesn't seem to like a clip ending near a loop even though there's no overlap (snapping on, item trimmed).

Not really sure what's going on. I'm not always able to reproduce these issues.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #4
ArtemiHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
I've been getting weird loop issues too. One with S-Gear, one with MTurboAmp, and one with MIDI and Addictive Keys.

With S-Gear, it was happening in 3/8 time signature where the metronome would glitch out on repeat.

With MTurboAmp, there was a little crunch sound on loop.

With MIDI, it was with a clip adjacent to the loop start. Sometimes reaper doesn't seem to like a clip ending near a loop even though there's no overlap (snapping on, item trimmed).

Not really sure what's going on. I'm not always able to reproduce these issues.
hey man!

here is a folder with bunch of midi plugins including IX "antiflam"
you can check maybe some of them will help you with the issues you're talking about.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLl...ew?usp=sharing

anyway let me know!

p.s. IX repository link fro a reapack
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IX...ster/index.xml
Old 11-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
hexSPA

I'm still getting clicks on loop. There's another thread about it in general discussion. It happens when I monitor live audio.

To recreate it: set up a short loop (length doesn't really matter but for expediency's sake) and monitor a live instrument. A guitar, bass or synth is good. Play a bass note just before the loop. Eventually, you'll get a click.

My proposed solution is to have a small crossfade on loop. 10ms each side or so.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
hexSPA

Default midi looping - consecutive notes - no note off?

I want to add that midi does not loop like I expect. This has been happening since I got back into reaper around 2019. If, for example, you have a midi note playing for a whole measure and set the arrange loop brackets to one measure, an instrument may not retrigger the midi note upon loop i.e. there seems to be no midi note off message.

To extend on that, if you paint in consecutive midi notes, you get a similar behavior. I find myself needing to slightly shorten many midi notes to get a proper note off behavior. Am I the only one? If not, please fix as I don't remember this happening in Live, for instance. Thank you.

EDIT: This may be instrument-dependent. If, for example, I set MSoundFactory to Brutal restart behavior, I don't need to trim the midi note in reaper. Even so, I'm almost 100% sure that I've observed this with other VIs. Cheers.

EDIT2: Yeah, I think this is more based on the VI. MSF is getting messages to restart the notes. Not sure if relevant for you anymore. However, not all instruments have MSF's flexibility so maybe it's still worth considering. Thanks.

Last edited by hexSPA; 04-03-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
ArtemiHo

The Playtime 2 is under development right know, maybe it can make Reaper to act more like Ableton in sense of midi looping.

We'll see
Old 04-03-2022, 06:47 PM   #8
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemiHo View Post
The Playtime 2 is under development right know, maybe it can make Reaper to act more like Ableton in sense of midi looping.

We'll see
Is that going to be native to reaper or a third-party extension? Right now, it's the latter, right?
Old 04-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #9
ArtemiHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
Is that going to be native to reaper or a third-party extension? Right now, it's the latter, right?
It's going to be a paid extension.

It seem to me that nor Justin nor Schwa (developers) are using midi functionality that extensively, so maybe there shouldn't be high hopes for a very thorough development in that area.

Still, I think the possibilities of Reaper customization greater outweighs that.

Can't say that of any other DAW.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #10
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemiHo View Post
It's going to be a paid extension.

It seem to me that nor Justin nor Schwa (developers) are using midi functionality that extensively, so maybe there shouldn't be high hopes for a very thorough development in that area.

Still, I think the possibilities of Reaper customization greater outweighs that.

Can't say that of any other DAW.
Cool thanks for the heads up. For whatever reason, looping, midi and plugins seem to not mix well in reaper; like a warm pina colada after an italian sausage.