Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Default Waves mods

In the gaming world. modding has been a thing for decades. But, why don't we ever see it in out world. For example, the Kramer HLS. I love this thing! But, I always have to use a EQ with it. The Treble for example has fixed intervals. So it can be at 0, then next is +4. And a lot of times that can be to bright. But I can only go back to zero.
Why is there not a mod that lets us add +2 and +3 to this? Have they made it so hard that it can't be done?
Do we not have folks who can figure it out? If we could mod some of our plugins, they would go to another level use.

;tldr Why don't we see mods for waves (or other brands as well) to change functions?
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
JayJSE2

In a way, there are quite a few plugins (although I don't think many Waves ones do) that have built-in switches for different settings or similar. MTurboEQ for example, models various hardware eq curves, but gives you the option of selecting continuous frequency controls. The bx channel strips similarly have extra controls like a mix knob and adjustable HPFs for dynamics.

The short answer for why the HLS doesn't have anything like that is because the hardware it was modelled on didn't, so it would have been way more difficult to model something (accurately) that wasn't there in the first place.

The more general answer is that the way VST(2/3) and AU plugins are made is like an entire app/program where the code is compiled into a file, which makes it difficult to edit (probably also copy protection plays a part in this).

Which leads me to the other type of plugin where it's much easier to mod them (even if I personally still have no idea how to): JSFX. Say you're using the js version of Major Tom and want a GR meter... if you know how to, you can click the edit button and code one in [as a side note, has anyone already done this, or know how to do it?].
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
In a way, there are quite a few plugins (although I don't think many Waves ones do) that have built-in switches for different settings or similar. MTurboEQ for example, models various hardware eq curves, but gives you the option of selecting continuous frequency controls. The bx channel strips similarly have extra controls like a mix knob and adjustable HPFs for dynamics.

The short answer for why the HLS doesn't have anything like that is because the hardware it was modelled on didn't, so it would have been way more difficult to model something (accurately) that wasn't there in the first place.

The more general answer is that the way VST(2/3) and AU plugins are made is like an entire app/program where the code is compiled into a file, which makes it difficult to edit (probably also copy protection plays a part in this).

Which leads me to the other type of plugin where it's much easier to mod them (even if I personally still have no idea how to): JSFX. Say you're using the js version of Major Tom and want a GR meter... if you know how to, you can click the edit button and code one in [as a side note, has anyone already done this, or know how to do it?].
Right, I understand why it wasn't there in the first place. I just know in the gaming world someone would have already made a mod that lets you select 1,2,3,4, and so on, with the treble knob. That is what made me start thinking to why we don't see any user made mods, of vst plugins.

I guess they code must be so complex that modding is just out of the question.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post

I guess they code must be so complex that modding is just out of the question.
Yeah, and when you think about it, if someone's capable of modding in something like that accurately, they're probably just going to create their own plugin, whereas I guess the closest analogy to an entire game in the audio world is a DAW, and Reaper does have custom scrips and extensions.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote