Old 11-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
Tobias
Human being with feelings

Default Computer recommendations please.

I've been a Reaper use for several years now. around 20 songs or so. My 7 year old Windows 8.1 laptop is getting a bit worn out. I have around $500 US and I'm think I just need a good Windows desktop tower. (I have plenty of monitors, keyboards and mouses.) Can you make recommendations on a good machine in the $500 range I can migrate over to?
I don't really know what to look for as far as specs go. What chip, processor, speed,
Core, that sort of stuff.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
BrentHarmon

Well you need serval things

a good CPU with integrated Graphics support either AMD or Intel, Motherboard (compatible with AMD or Intel), Memory a Case and Power supply and CPU Cooler system, If you had more than $500 then I would include graphics cards.

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there like Paul's Hardware other computer builders that can show you what you can get in that price range and how powerful it can be.
BrentHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
maxdembo

Get a blue one!
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Tone Deft

go to pcpartpicker.com

do a search, set the price limit to $500 and you can see some options.

here's a cool $300 build (code below is a copy and paste from their web site tools)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($70.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: RAIJINTEK Metis Plus Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Custom: Silverstone Sstpp08 Staffa Per Adattatore Di Alimentazione
Custom: NICEKER PC Computer RGB LED - LED Light Flexible Lamp Strip Kit DC 12V for PC Computer Case
Custom: A4 Size Clear Acrylic Perspex Sheet / Panel 297mm x 210mm in 2mm 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm 8mm 10mm - Free Shipping (2mm Thick)
Total: $295.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-29 00:58 EST-0500
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
gvdv

In addition to this forum, I found the suggestions of people on the build a pc and build me a pc reddits to be very helpful, particularly in trouble-shooting potential problems ahead of time, so if you have not done so already, I would post your question on those two reddits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/

Good luck.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

My how times have changed, so insanely much.

It used to be these forums were absolutely filled with exactly how critical the choice in combination of CPU and mobo was.

I have seen last few years, bone stock, middle of the road computers, from even places like hp and dell

even laptops!!!

Run circles around computers I used to have to agonize over to be able to mix on, even with the highest recommendations at the time.

We have it pretty good now

All that said, I'm sure there are still pitfalls to avoid, and it would be nice to hear from Jim Roseberry and Vin Curigliano still
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
BrentHarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deft View Post
go to pcpartpicker.com

do a search, set the price limit to $500 and you can see some options.

here's a cool $300 build (code below is a copy and paste from their web site tools)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($70.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: RAIJINTEK Metis Plus Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: Silverstone Sstpp08 Staffa Per Adattatore Di Alimentazione
Custom: NICEKER PC Computer RGB LED - LED Light Flexible Lamp Strip Kit DC 12V for PC Computer Case
Custom: A4 Size Clear Acrylic Perspex Sheet / Panel 297mm x 210mm in 2mm 3mm 4mm 5mm 6mm 8mm 10mm - Free Shipping (2mm Thick)
Total: $295.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-29 00:58 EST-0500
Well this good except for the compatibility issue with power supply case and your video card not being able to fit. You want to fix those before you buy.
BrentHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
Tone Deft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentHarmon View Post
Well this good except for the compatibility issue with power supply case and your video card not being able to fit. You want to fix those before you buy.
cranky monday?

hey Sherlock. all that is listed at the bottom of the page I linked to.

brilliant... anything to contribute or are you just trying to be being clever?
Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Trogdor

Be aware of the sound card you are using and what it supports. This is really important. For me I'm kinda screwed on the next update as my sound card is a PCI interface from RME and you cannot get mobo's with PCI anymore, so I need a new sound card at the same time I get a new PC unless one of those PCI express to PCI adapters work.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
Tone Deft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Be aware of the sound card you are using and what it supports. This is really important. For me I'm kinda screwed on the next update as my sound card is a PCI interface from RME and you cannot get mobo's with PCI anymore, so I need a new sound card at the same time I get a new PC unless one of those PCI express to PCI adapters work.
that sucks. you don't buy RME to replace it.

I think you're OK though, this has PCI and PCIE slots.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1681311...quicklink=true

check me if I'm wrong.

those PCI adapters do work if you follow the specs. I've seen them used like that for software engineers. the hardware guys would rather just make a PCI hardware product and stick it onto a PCIE slot in the SW guy's computer than make a full PCIE product when they don't need the extra features and complexity. it's likely that your RME card only uses a few lanes of PCI anyway, PCI was state of the art high speed as f--k when it came out, way beyond USB speeds.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Def a thing to be wary of, tho its kinda unavoidable with businesses being the way they are.

My Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 is now obsolete for a few reasons (firewire, drivers now without win10 support), none of which are because the device itself is out of date, or not still completely up to par.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
ivansc

Max: Are yo u sure? I got my Focusrite Liquidmix 32 working in Win 10 before I moved it over to my Mac Mini. It is of course firewire too. Might be worth checking out. And re pci slots you CAN still get recent Mobos that have at least one PCI slot, which is what I am using with my RME HDSP9652 now. Also the adapter boards are not dear and they work.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Max: Are yo u sure? I got my Focusrite Liquidmix 32 working in Win 10 before I moved it over to my Mac Mini. It is of course firewire too. Might be worth checking out. And re pci slots you CAN still get recent Mobos that have at least one PCI slot, which is what I am using with my RME HDSP9652 now. Also the adapter boards are not dear and they work.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, if any My saffire is still working all fine, I had to install some beta drivers from a few years ago, but I suspect just reinstalling the drivers would have worked.

However, my point was that its now officially unsupported by Focusrite as of 2 windows 10 updates ago, and firewire isnt really the big deal it was supposed to be On borrowed time! And thru no fault of the device, its not like its naff now that other hardware and software needs more power or something, its just the bullshit world of computers and drivers and manufacturers 'moving on'. Not something one could really futureproof for that easily when i bought the interface.

Hopefully it'll work for a few years yet, but if not, I'm kinda going mostly hardware instead anyway with an external recorder.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
Tone Deft

I'm looking at the Thunderbolt interface on my laptop. so much potential but a total dead end to spend money on.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deft View Post
I'm looking at the Thunderbolt interface on my laptop. so much potential but a total dead end to spend money on.
OTOH, USB refuses to die!