Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Cranky Emu
Human being with feelings

Default What causes rate change?

Working on a project and I noticed the vocal was way out of whack with the rest of the song and timing. After staring at the screen seeking inspiration for about three minutes, I noticed something I had never seen before on the media label in the arrange area. All except the vocal had this 'Rate 1.083' added to them, prior to the volume level.

Arrange area view:

Media item properties:

My default project settings for:
Timebase for items/envelopes/markers is set to Time.
Tempo/Time Signature is set to Beats.

What has caused every track with the exception of the vocal track to have a changed rate value?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playback rate.jpg (54.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg rate.jpg (8.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Hard to say what caused it, but the fix should be as simple as selecting all the items and running an action to set the playrate back to 1.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Hard to say what caused it, but the fix should be as simple as selecting all the items and running an action to set the playrate back to 1.
Haven't got up to speed with the whole actions thing, not that elite yet

I have fixed them all, and another thing I did not notice until after the post, is a large number of the posts had the ends chopped off them, probably the last 2 seconds in each case.

So I painfully replaced all these files with non-corrupted ones (for want of a better term).

Just be nice to know why it happened, it was most likely something I have done, some errant shortcut or soemthing - be nice to know what it was so I don't do it again. With that said, this is the only project that has suffered from this dilemma.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
Haven't got up to speed with the whole actions thing, not that elite yet
Dude, it's the single most important thing in Reaper. Nothing advanced or elite about it except that other DAWs don't really have it. At least not to the same extent. Everything Reaper can do is in there and the only tricky part is learning the terms to search for.

Default shortcut key is '?.' You should use it often; whenever you wonder if Reaper can do something.

If I notice something like this in a project (**** happens) I'll save and then undo until I can find the point where it occurred to see what caused it. If it's a difficult fix, you I'll copy the unaffected tracks and/or items into the clipboard (works across project tabs) and paste them back into the saved project. That's usually the quickest fix.