Old 02-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
MoiraMurphy
Human being with feelings

Default No MIDI Signal (but device recognized)

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with getting a signal from my MIDI cable (connected to a keyboard). I followed this thread (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ybrid&t=153014) but none of the solutions worked. I hate to chalk this up to "shitty cable," but I'm beginning to wonder....

1) keyboard receives MIDI cables (in and out connected correctly in the opposite ports) and USB end connected to computer. Computer also connected to Scarlett 2i2
2) Reaper recognizes my audio driver, sees MIDI cable. I enable both input and output for MIDI.
3) Insert new virtual track, pick a VST. Record-armed, monitor enabled, input selected as MIDI USB, output in Routing selecting as MIDI USB.
4) I hit a key....and nothing. No signal. I try to record and nothing happens.

I replicated the steps above with both a shitty $3 MIDI USB and a $40 mio iConnectivity and also with a Venom synth and a Yamaha keyboard, on Reaper both on my Mac and PC (both up to date).

Any thoughts?
MoiraMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:55 AM   #2
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoiraMurphy View Post
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with getting a signal from my MIDI cable (connected to a keyboard). I followed this thread (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ybrid&t=153014) but none of the solutions worked. I hate to chalk this up to "shitty cable," but I'm beginning to wonder....

1) keyboard receives MIDI cables (in and out connected correctly in the opposite ports) and USB end connected to computer. Computer also connected to Scarlett 2i2
2) Reaper recognizes my audio driver, sees MIDI cable. I enable both input and output for MIDI.
3) Insert new virtual track, pick a VST. Record-armed, monitor enabled, input selected as MIDI USB, output in Routing selecting as MIDI USB.
4) I hit a key....and nothing. No signal. I try to record and nothing happens.

I replicated the steps above with both a shitty $3 MIDI USB and a $40 mio iConnectivity and also with a Venom synth and a Yamaha keyboard, on Reaper both on my Mac and PC (both up to date).

Any thoughts?
Just try connecting one device at a time and confirm it is working properly then do the next.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
MoiraMurphy

Hi Curtis,

I did that. I used each instrument with each MIDI cable separately one at a time. Each time the devices were recognized, but the signal never was.

~Moira
Old 02-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Do not enable MIDI output unless the synth generates its own sound and you want to use it (you'll need to hook up audio cables and a second track to receive the audio. Enabling MIDI out on a MIDI controller can create MIDI feedback and other problems.

If the device shows up in MIDI devices, it's driver is installed and Reaper detects it.

You don't need USB and MIDI cables connected to Reaper from the same synth. USB carries MIDI both ways, so I recommend choosing that. Again, output is only necessary if you want to record MIDI in Reaper and send it back out to trigger audio in the synth. If you're loading VSTi, you should disable outputs.

When you say "nothing happens" when you try to record, do you mean nothing at all or just no MIDI notes? MIDI depends on an audio device being correctly set up, on and connected. If not, you won't get playback or recording to start.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
MoiraMurphy

Hi foxAsteria,
Thanks for the reply-- I may have misspoke. It's a MIDI-to-USB cord that allows me to connect the instrument as a MIDI to the computer (it's one of those iConnectivity things by Mio-- the shitty one was $3 on Amazon and is shiny silver). Also, when I say nothing happens, nothing at all happens-- no sound in my monitor, nothing at all being recording, not even MIDI notes. I had actually left the output alone until I began troubleshooting and saw a YouTube video. I figured that might solve the problem, but it didn't.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Ok if playback doesn't start then Reaper isn't able to initialize the audio device and you wont't be able to do anything. Does the playback cursor move when you hit play?

Did you disable the outputs? Because if Reaper detects a feedback loop it can disable sound on those tracks.

I'd say try reinstalling the drivers and be sure they are the correct ones for your system.

If you drag a media file into Reaper can you play it?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:14 AM   #7
ivansc

Dont know if this helps or not, but I remember going through exactly the same crap when I bought a cheapo MIDI cable like yours. Dumped it & bought an interface with 2 MIDI I/Os and its been plain sailing ever since.

In fact until recently I was using a 10 in 12 out Akai programmable MIDI patchbay with Reaper for all my external MIDI devices. Only have 2 left now, so the Akai is gone.

So the answer is to find a decent cable or modest MIDI I/O box which shouldnt break the bank & at the same time write yourself a memo reminding you to check for stuff like that next time you go interface shopping!
(speaking as one who made exactly the same mistake )
Old 11-13-2020, 03:50 AM   #8
Spootiskerry

Default IN-OUT vs IN-IN

For any future readers, it’s daft but I spent half an hour scratching my head before realising I just had it wired up wrong. Hence the computer recognised the MIDI device, but didn’t get a signal. They should be connected IN-OUT OUT-IN, not IN-IN OUT-OUT. Which is obvious when you have double-ended MIDI cables, but less so when you have a direct MDI to USB cable.
Spootiskerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
rafaelfriesen

Default No mistakes, but same problem

I have a similar case, but there are no mistakes with cables. With other softwares, like Midi-Ox or standalone VST´s, Midi IN and Midi Out are working perfectly. But on Reaper Midi In is not (but Midi Out is). I have looked everithing I know, but without sucess. Reaper is simply not reading the Midi signals from my keyboard (but sends signal from Reaper to keyboard).
rafaelfriesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #10
mschnell

Did you appropriately configure the Midi device in Reaper ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote