Old 08-05-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Emeraldzzz {Mercurialism}

This is a tune I've been working on for years. Vocals were recorded in 2016 and I started it in 2013 ffs...Vox are the hardest for me to mix, especially when they've been added after synths were taking up all the space. Last time I tried I definitely didn't get approval from the vocalist...

Just wanted to get some mix feedback. I haven't sent it to my sister yet (vocalist) but I think I got it to a pretty good place, so what do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/wyyyrd/emeral.../s-909cNUc7Ral

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-05-2020 at 07:22 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
maxdembo

Sounds great!

I'd maybe turn the vocals up in the mix tho. Just a little, not by much, maybe a bit of automation to ride the vocals rather than compression, towards the start where the full music comes in. Tho compression would likely to do the same job.

Great track.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
zeekat

Quality procrastinating. Sounds nice, airy. I wouldn't do hard asymmetrical pans personally, but I'm a sucker for symmetry I guess.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I wouldn't do hard asymmetrical pans personally, but I'm a sucker for symmetry I guess.
Thanks, which parts were asymmetrical? I mean I like to balance things as well, but I just didn't notice if something was strangely off kilter. I hard panned some stuff to get it away from the main vox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
I'd maybe turn the vocals up in the mix tho. Just a little, not by much, maybe a bit of automation to ride the vocals rather than compression, towards the start where the full music comes in. Tho compression would likely to do the same job.
Thank you as well! I've got some mild compression on the vox and they might've had some already, idk but yea, I meant to do some automation. Idk why I tend to avoid it, it almost always makes things better. I guess I just save it for last, but never feel like I'm finished enough to start on it...
Old 08-06-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Thanks, which parts were asymmetrical? I mean I like to balance things as well, but I just didn't notice if something was strangely off kilter. I hard panned some stuff to get it away from the main vox.
There's a lovely synth riff in the mid part that completely left panned. Attention grabbing things like those are kinda odd to me when they're pushed completely on the side, but again that's just me.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
foxAsteria

Quote:
There's a lovely synth riff in the mid part that completely left panned. Attention grabbing things like those are kinda odd to me when they're pushed completely on the side, but again that's just me.
Nah well don't discount your impressions. I'm probably too close to the material to notice stuff like that, so it's helpful feedback. A little more helpful if it's a comment on the SC timeline, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
PuerAzaelis

Like it!
PuerAzaelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
ggrey

First impressions...

Lovely voice and a nice haunting vibe.
Compress the music track to bring down the peaks just a bit (tube variable mu) making the overall texture of the track less sharp more fluid.
Increase vox volume 1 to 2 dbs (and as mentioned above) ride the levels so she floats through the track.

Just my 2 cents
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:42 AM   #9
Jorgen

I like it, always a sucker for sapentia stuff and the like. Great vocal screams. Almost like a black mass or something.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
sai'ke

Sounds great!
Old 08-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Fex

Quote:
It's not. An awful lot of work has gone into this, and it is, IMHO, essentially perfect apart from that one synth poking in my left ear @ 1:44. I have no problem with the synth, only with the fact that it's in my left ear, when it should be in both.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
Time Waster

Excellent. Shades of Kate Bush? I do agree with the comments about the panned synth and also that the vocals could be further forward.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Hey thanks again for the feedback you guys! It's very encouraging to see that most of you are in agreement about the state of completeness and what needs to be done. All round helpful responses that I can certainly address.

I give it another round here sooner than later and hopefully I can put it in the "done" pile. I say pile, though there's nothing in it yet...