Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
g4greg
Human being with feelings

Default My mic is dying. What do you recommend me to buy?

Hey guys, In a previous thread, I was worried about a faint sound in the background.. And now, it's getting quite loud, borderline unusable. So I have to buy a new mic.

I'll probably send the one I have for repairs once I get a new one, as I sell my vocals and I just can't afford the one month waiting time.

I'm using an Audio-technica AT4040, and I'm really, really happy with it's sonic signature. It just suits my voice really well. The only thing is that it crapped out a bit too early to my taste, so I'm considering buying something else that won't die so quickly.

in the 250-500 range, what do you guys think would suit my voice?

Here is my most recent recording.. I usually don't do country, but that's what my customer wanted lol.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-collins-1...yesterday-take

You can listen to more.. uh.. upbeat stuff in my signature

As you can hear, I need something with good low end detail to catch what I'm doing down there, as well as crisp highs... As I can also do those high pitched metal screams.

I was eyeing the Lewitt pure, as it seems to do what the 4040 does, only more of it. I'm worried it's going to be too much color though, as I sing in many different styles, from jazz to metal growls... And I'm not sure the Lewitt can do "soft" very well.

Any mic that went under my radar at that price range?

Last edited by g4greg; 08-06-2020 at 06:28 PM.
g4greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
JamesPeters

If you're considering going dynamic (no circuitry to 'break down'), the Heil PR30b might be worth a try. It's at the low end of your price range. The low end is a bit reduced from 30-50 Hz (although it has a gentle bump around 80 Hz which is useful by comparison), and the high peak (in a similar range as the AT4040) is a bit stronger. If those two things don't bother you (the top end can be EQed quite easily anyway), you might really like the mic. It's very sensitive for a dynamic mic, has good articulation with a "smooth" character, and can handle loud volumes easily too. It's a bit "colored" sounding in a pleasing way compared to a very flat condenser (a bit "ribbon-like"), but I think that might be what you're after. Check the frequency plots here versus here. You can click on one of the graphs to have the two curves overlaid, and see the differences. Of course hearing it will tell more of the story but that's a good start.

If you want something "flatter" (more neutral) sounding maybe the Lewitt would be a better choice. I haven't used one so I'm only guessing based on what I've read about it.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-06-2020 at 05:34 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
g4greg

Heil Dynamic? hmm never even heard of that mic lol

I'll look it up for sure, thanks for the recommendation.

The lewitt is really far from being flat. It has quite a hyped high end and super crisp lows, which makes it sound sexy and bright, but also worries me for songs that require softer vocals.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
JamesPeters

You will find the PR30b's EQ curve to be fairly noticeable as well, but it's an emphasis that makes sense for vocals as long as it happens to not peak too much in the frequencies you don't want it to. Using EQ in Reaper to compensate is easy enough for that anyway, but I don't know your comfort level for working with a mic like that (prior to EQing).

It is an end-address mic similar to a SM7b in that regard, not a side-address mic. So you have to point it at your face. The SM7b is a lot less sensitive so I wouldn't say the PR30b is trying to be an SM7b (the "b" in PR30b stands for "black" since the original version was silver).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
Naji

Sennheiser mk8
SENNHEISER md 441
Neumann Tlm 103
Akg c414, c314 or c214

Always check a mic first.
What might work for me, doesn't automatically mean will for for you, too

Last edited by Naji; 08-09-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
Fex

I don't really know very much about vocal mics, TBH, and you'll probably think I'm just being a dick, but I do know a little about audio engineering, I'm serious about music, I've been making music for forty years, and I have a suggestion from leftfield based on the available evidence as I see it.

This is the evidence as I see it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
I sell my vocals
Quote:
I'm using an Audio-technica AT4040, and I'm really, really happy with it's sonic signature. It just suits my voice really well.
Quote:
I've had an AT4040 for many years
Quote:
in the 250-500 range, what do you guys think would suit my voice?
Now, this is the evidence as I hear it.... and I have been listening, carefully, with good headphones, taking ambient conditions into account....

https://www.fiverr.com/gregemond/be-...ger-songwriter

I presume that this was recorded with the same microphone?

On the strength of the available evidence, the microphone I would like to recommend to you is the Audio-technica AT4040.

I hope you'll give this serious consideration.... you'll know exactly what you're getting, you're guaranteed to be really happy with it, you won't need to learn its quirks, it will make your voice sound amazing (genuinely), it's in your target price range, and if it dies after two years and you have to spend another $495, so what? This is what you do for a living!
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
I don't really know very much about vocal mics, TBH, and you'll probably think I'm just being a dick, but I do know a little about audio engineering, I'm serious about music, I've been making music for forty years, and I have a suggestion from leftfield based on the available evidence as I see it.

This is the evidence as I see it:

Now, this is the evidence as I hear it.... and I have been listening, carefully, with good headphones, taking ambient conditions into account....

https://www.fiverr.com/gregemond/be-...ger-songwriter

I presume that this was recorded with the same microphone?

On the strength of the available evidence, the microphone I would like to recommend to you is the Audio-technica AT4040.

I hope you'll give this serious consideration.... you'll know exactly what you're getting, you're guaranteed to be really happy with it, you won't need to learn its quirks, it will make your voice sound amazing (genuinely), it's in your target price range, and if it dies after two years and you have to spend another $495, so what? This is what you do for a living!
Thanks for the nice words, and yes.. I've sung through that thing for everything I recorded since I've bought it. And I do have other mics. Metal, jazz, pop, rock, growls, crooning. high pitch shrieks. It just takes it and makes it work.

The only thing wrong with it is that it's dying too soon. and true, even if it dies right after the warranty ends (which it didn't, i've been using it for 5-6 years).. Why risk being stuck with a sonic signature that doesn't fit me?

I was thinking to send my at4040 for repair ( changing the board.. It's a common flaw in those mics) So I'd have it back in a month...

So my thought was that IF I'm gonna get it back anyways.. Might as well go for a different flavour than be stuck with 2 AT4040s.. (which ain't a bad thing either, mind you, especially for instruments like pianos ang guitars..)

I'm just considering options before I 'm effectively stuck with a pair of 4040s.

Last edited by g4greg; 08-06-2020 at 10:51 PM.
g4greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #8
Fex

Gotcha.

Since you're getting your 4040 back, and you have other mics, I strongly advise you to spend your spare $500 on beer and loose women.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:44 AM   #9
Allybye

I'm with Fex for the same reasons and more. I am a miser though so I wouldn't spend my money so rashly! A couple of beers and free love.....

A dynamic mic will sound different often not as crisp as a condenser.
Many are designed for live vocals and have peaky mid highs. You'll not want that all the time, if at all for recordings especially for a wide range of instruments.
LDC Condensers generally have a nicer flatter response and are more suited to studio use.
You have been very happy with your current mic. Stay happy end up with a spare for which change if you get a problem.
Could be you have just got it damp. That can have a serious affect!
If you are recording some quiet passages it is easier to get low noise from a decent condenser mic.
Dynamics are more rugged but you take care, do you not?

Those are just general comments!

That Heil dynamic is supercardiod. Better for rejecting unwanted sounds but you have full control anyway.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:10 AM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

For warmth and clarity on vocals my go to choice is the Rode NT1000

https://www.rode.com/microphones/nt1000
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #11
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
I'm with Fex for the same reasons and more. A couple of beers and free love.....
You promised you wouldn't tell anyone about us!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post

https://www.rode.com/microphones/nt1000
Austro-centric, you!

Mind you I love my original Rode Classic 1.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #13
martmix

Rode NTK great mic
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #14
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Gotcha.

Since you're getting your 4040 back, and you have other mics, I strongly advise you to spend your spare $500 on beer and loose women.
LOL GREAT idea! However, I couldn't in clear conscience sell my vocals with one of my other mics.. Theyre mostly condensers for my live gigs.. and a lowly AT2020.. It's fine and a great beginner mic.. But for selling vocalss...

I have a Sennheiser dynamic handheld that could do in a pinch.. but I'd still have to warn my customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
I'm with Fex for the same reasons and more. I am a miser though so I wouldn't spend my money so rashly! A couple of beers and free love.....
It's never a bad option though! And yeah, no.. The Heil is definitely geared towards live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Thanks! That mic seems to be more subtle than the Lewitt, but still sound different than the 4040.. I'll look into that.

Thanks guys, the forum never disappoints! Especially you Fex!
Old 08-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
P229R-DAK

A couple of years ago Sweetwater did a Vocal Mic Shootout:

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/

There are a few in the OP's price range.

I have two Rode NT1-A's that I use for recording my band. They work well for me.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
Sibben

Aston Origin or Spirit maybe. Getting some good reviews and seem to be no nosense mics that can take a beating.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #17
alanofoz

As Røde mics have been mentioned here you might want to see this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....28#post2330028

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
vdubreeze

Make triple sure it's the mic, not the channel or cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
Aston Origin or Spirit maybe. Getting some good reviews and seem to be no nosense mics that can take a beating.
I have both and I love the Spirit. At $450 it's an excellent mic. I use it for screaming vocals and soft vocals and it never doesn't sound terrific. IMO, it's the best sounding LDCs in that price range I've tried. Nice detail, no harshness, takes eq well, pads and high pass function as you'd want.

On the other hand, oddly, the Origin has never floated my boat. Sounds pretty ok but nothing special. I wouldn't recommend it over other options in the $300 range. The two don't sound anything alike, which was a surprise given they look the same. But they're totally different animals. IMHO the 4040 sounds better for the same price, whereas you'd have to spend $200 more than the Spirit to get a more pleasing vocal condenser. Once you get above that you have a lot of great options, if you can go there.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #19
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by P229R-DAK View Post
A couple of years ago Sweetwater did a Vocal Mic Shootout:

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/

There are a few in the OP's price range.

I have two Rode NT1-A's that I use for recording my band. They work well for me.
Rode nt1a.. I had one eons ago, and I sold it.. It really sounds muddy on my voice. My bread and butter are in the bass, and the NT1a just doesn't represent it well. I think that's why I like the 4040 so much.. It also has a lift in the highs to make my dark voice brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
Dammit, you're too late.. I've ordered my mic.. those mics look sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
As Røde mics have been mentioned here you might want to see this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....28#post2330028
yeaahhh.. Rodes.. A lot of people love them, but they just don't suit my voice.

Soo.. I totally didn't listen to anyone's advice, and went with the lewitt.. There's a lot of shootouts on youtube with people singing in many different mics..

And yeah.. I just compared everything you guys mentioned to the lewitt..

I guess I'll keep you posted to see if it works for me? I'm really nervous now, as my 4040 is truly on its last legs.. And I'll just need to make the Lewitt work for at least a month.

Would you guys be interested in vocal clips for comparison?
Old 08-09-2020, 12:17 AM   #20
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I have both and I love the Spirit. At $450 it's an excellent mic.
The Spirit was on my list of microphones to check out but I got a really good price on a Rode NTK so I went for that instead. Aston appeals to me because they create new microphones rather than just make variations on old concepts. I love that no frills utilitarian design which also makes them look totally amazing. I’ve had some second thoughts and now they’re worse! But I have it on good authority that one can buy as many microphones as one feels the need for.

I read somewhere the grill design is aimed to lessen the need of pop filters. Would you say that’s actually the case?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:50 AM   #21
Naji

Especially as for vocal mics recommendations for mics are not worth a lot. If a mic works well with singer A, it does not automatically mean it will work well with singer B, too. For special voices even a dynamic mic might work better.
So always check a mic!
Here in Europe it is no problem, you can buy a product and you are allowed to send it back within one month.
After reading your posts with some more information, I think a Sennheiser mic might be the right choice for you!?
But you have to check it, of course
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:25 AM   #22
Geoff-h3o

Default Large Peace Lily

My mic is dying. What do you recommend me to buy?
Depends. Cremation or buried?
(Another vote for nt2)
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #23
superblonde.org

For $2.25 at digikey you can get a condenser capsule. One resistor, one capacitor, a tail end of an instrument cable, and a 9V battery, and you are good to go, pure flat and clean.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote