Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
flatuswalrus
Human being with feelings

Default Stopping a midi track when another plays

I do not know the official term because if I did I would be able to find what I am trying to do, haha.

I have a drum kit with each part of the drum on its own track. So, the closed and open hi-hat are on separate tracks. Each track is using ReaSamplomatic 5000 as each part of the drum kit is sourced from samples.

The open hi-hat sound continues when the closed hi-hat sounds, which I understand why. However, would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction on how to set it up where the open hi-hat track stops when the closed hi-hat track plays?

I swear I am not being lazy as I have just spent an hour searching for this but cannot find it despite knowing that it can be done. Thank you in advance.
flatuswalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
foxAsteria

The term you're looking for is "choke."
Old 10-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
The term you're looking for is "choke."
You are the man! Just what I was looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhfOK5N4zas

Thank you very much.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
flatuswalrus

Actually, I spoke too soon, haha. The video covers cutting off notes when another note is played on a midi keyboard but can it be done to choke when a midi from another track is played? Being that my open and closed hi-hats are on different tracks.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Chokes are generally done internally, but I'm sure it's possible because...well it's Reaper. Anything's possible. Anyways, why not put them on the same track if it makes things easier? Just change the note if necessary.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Chokes are generally done internally, but I'm sure it's possible because...well it's Reaper. Anything's possible. Anyways, why not put them on the same track if it makes things easier? Just change the note if necessary.
Because each track is using a different sample with ReaSamplomatic 5000 I have to have them on different tracks. Is it possible to do otherwise? Thank you.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Yea you could put them on different notes. That's how it generally is in drum machines. You can put multiple instances of the plugin on the same track and limit each to certain note ranges.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Yea you could put them on different notes. That's how it generally is in drum machines. You can put multiple instances of the plugin on the same track and limit each to certain note ranges.
May I ask how to do that as I have never done it before and am not sure how to go about doing so?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
foxAsteria

You just add as many instances of RSO5k onto a track as you need and limit the note range to single notes.

If you open the MIDI editor, you can find the note name and number of any given note by clicking it in the piano roll. Then set the note start and note end in the plugin to that value.

Helps to rename each instance of the plugin appropriately so you can find your sounds easily for tweaking.

You can even rename the notes in the piano roll too if you want by double clicking them. Now your whole drum part will be easier to edit because it's all in the same window.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
flatuswalrus

Quote:
You just add as many instances of RSO5k onto a track as you need and limit the note range to single notes.

If you open the MIDI editor, you can find the note name and number of any given note by clicking it in the piano roll. Then set the note start and note end in the plugin to that value.

Helps to rename each instance of the plugin appropriately so you can find your sounds easily for tweaking.

You can even rename the notes in the piano roll too if you want by double-clicking them. Now your whole drum part will be easier to edit because it's all in the same window.
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately this did not work.

I cut the open hi-hat midi notes from its original track and pasted them into the closed hi-hat track. Then I added another ReaSamplomatic 5000 for the open hi-hat. I then assigned each instance of ReaSamplomatic 5000 to a line on the piano roll and both hi-hats sound just fine but the open hi-hat still rings out past the sound of the closed hi-hat.

I like this idea very much but if I could get it to work but I am afraid in doing so I would miss out on the idea behind my original setup which was in place so I could apply individual effects to each drum part such as EQ, compression, reverb etc.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
foxAsteria

Yea you still have to set up the chokes but I'm not sure if RSO5k has that feature.

You could easily fake it by turning on the "obey note offs" option for the open hat. It will stop at the end of the note, so you just have to line it up to the start of the closed hats.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Yea you still have to set up the chokes but I'm not sure if RSO5k has that feature.

You could easily fake it by turning on the "obey note offs" option for the open hat. It will stop at the end of the note, so you just have to line it up to the start of the closed hats.
Sadly, in this case, the "obey note offs" feature sounds worse than my original issue because it cuts it off so short it sound weird but even if you could adjust that to one particular setting if the track has different spacings between hi-hat hits then it will be inconsistent. I guess there is no one particular solution to this sample business, at least that we know of. Maybe some magical Reaper wizard will chime in but for now, I will just have to cry myself to sleep tonight. Thank you for your recommendations and ideas.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
foxAsteria

You can put note offs wherever you want. If you put them at the start of your closed hats it will sound exactly the same as an automatic choke (just like a real hi hat). Just drag the end of the note to make it longer.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
flatuswalrus

Quote:
You can put note offs wherever you want. If you put them at the start of your closed hats, it will sound exactly the same as an automatic choke (just like a real hi-hat). Just drag the end of the note to make it longer.
Because the open hi-hat is a sample from the ReaSamplomatic 5000, the length of the midi note has no bearing on the sound as the sample plays in its' entirety regardless. Same goes with the position of it in general or in relation to the closed hi-hat be it on its' own separate track or on the same track as the closed hi-hat, it still sounds in its' entirety and has no choking type effect either way. Unless I interpreted what you suggested incorectly I tried every combination of it and it was unfortunately unsuccessful. I swear I saw a video on how to do this but I simply cannot find it so I might have been hallucinating, haha.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
foxAsteria

Ok well I just tried it and it works as expected (sample stops at end of MIDI note). You sure you enabled the "obey note offs" option on the instance with the OH sample? Note off release override allows the sound to continue past the note off, so make sure that's not on as well.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #16
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Ok well I just tried it and it works as expected (sample stops at end of MIDI note). You sure you enabled the "obey note offs" option on the instance with the OH sample? Note off release override allows the sound to continue past the note off, so make sure that's not on as well.
Okay, I did not do the "obey note offs". How silly of me as I knew the option was there from having played around with it previously. Though, due to it not working as I wanted it to in other circumstances it escaped my mind to do it in your example. I am now unable to individually tweak each hi-hat like I could on a separate track but I cannot have everything and this is by far the best option. Thank you so much for your persistence as it does indeed work now. I quickly thew together this to show it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrYWIRIImXo

I am glad to have that little trick in my arsenal now for future projects, thanks again.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #17
foxAsteria

Heheh, cool man. What is that 3D graphic there? Is that actually in Reaper somehow or just a graphical overlay for the vid?

Btw you can still put the hats on different tracks, it'll just be a tad trickier to line em up.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #18
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Heheh, cool man. What is that 3D graphic there? Is that actually in Reaper somehow or just a graphical overlay for the vid?

Btw you can still put the hats on different tracks, it'll just be a tad trickier to line em up.
Yeah, that is only an image of the old Frickle drum machine for the video. What a name for a brand hey, Frickle? If you had one and it broke you could say "damn fricken Frickle".

I will try that shortly then, the same thing but on separate tracks, because that would be wonderful to be able to do that. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #19
flatuswalrus

Quote:
Heheh, cool man.
Also, I love Devil's Bicycle, it kicks arse pretty hard.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #20
foxAsteria

Thanks, my dude. I've actually just been delivered some new vox for it by a fellow forum member, so a new mix is on the horizon...