Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
1:00AM Project
Human being with feelings

Default Forum for paranoid noob questions

I wish there was a forum just for paronoid noobs like me so it doesn't seem totally ridiculous to the experienced but here it goes:I've used Cubase and Reason for years but after research and trial, decided that Reaper was it and switched over in September to Reaper(love it). Anyway, v. 5.961 just came out and I obviously want to update it. My paranoia-laced question is: When I run the installer will it just update certain parts of v.5.95 to v.5.961 or will it do a "clean install" of the whole program? I'm in the middle of a project that will take a few more weeks and I don't want to mess with anything. I have not done anything to the original instalations except installing first as a portable into a designated folder and then installing again as a regular install into the same folder to keep everything in one folder(saw it on you tube).
1:00AM Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1:00AM Project View Post
I wish there was a forum just for paronoid noobs like me so it doesn't seem totally ridiculous to the experienced
There is, and I've just moved you into it

Instaling over-the-top will retain all your settings if its a regular install.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Goldreap

I've been updating every time there's an update since about v2.5 and never had a problem with current projects or old projects. The installation doesn't touch your project files, and all your settings are in user data on your computer. Very rarely a certain new feature might give rise to problems and these problems are quickly sorted out, but again, even this sort of thing won't wipe your work. Seriously, I have no qualms about updating in the middle of an important project.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Bazzbass

yeah man trust Justin and the team, they're not in this for the money, but for the love of coding and making music recording easy for us

I was a paranoid noob too, but Reaper is so well thought out, updates just go over the top, no issues,and if there were,there'd be another update within a day or so to fix it.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
There is, and I've just moved you into it

Instaling over-the-top will retain all your settings if its a regular install.

*sigh* Once again I am left wondering why the Newbieland forum is left languishing waaaay down the bottom of the main forum sections.

Would make so much more sense to have it right after the first (general) forum, surely?
So many of the regulasr newbie questions are answered in the stickies at the top of this section.

I suspect I started asking why this has not been done before several of you were even born....

Old 10-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1:00AM Project View Post
I wish there was a forum just for paronoid noobs like me so it doesn't seem totally ridiculous to the experienced but here it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So many of the regulasr newbie questions are answered in the stickies at the top of this section.
Fear not, we've all been newbies, and Reaperland is friendly
(No one will blame you if you ask noob questions in main forum, but yes, newbieland is designed for this)

Btw, a digression: I sometimes come out of Reaperland and assuming every forum is so friendly, and that can get me into trouble
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
CEART

I know very few forums with the degree of response and friendliness as Reaperland. I'm also new not to audio but to Reaper, and each of my doubts, even the most nobodies fool have been addressed quickly and with an admirable level of involvement.

What is advisable however, is to try to be coherent and clear on post description and content, and as minimum sample of social kindness, say thank you when you are helped against the typical mutism kinda "I already have what I need bye bye" and finally a key word: patience.

~cheers~

Last edited by CEART; 10-26-2018 at 09:41 AM.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 PM   #8

Default Thanks :)

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. Thank you for moving this thread to Newbieland. I (cough) forgot to mention although I've read things on forums before, I've never actually navigated on any website's forum before so there's that too Again, Thank You very much - it's truly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #9
ivansc

Soooo.... (evil grin) if I started a feature request to move the Newb area up the top, you would vote for it?

Only thing left that I havent tried to get it moved.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #10

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Soooo.... (evil grin) if I started a feature request to move the Newb area up the top, you would vote for it?

Only thing left that I havent tried to get it moved.
Ooooh, sorry I didn't answer...FOR ALMOST A YEAR!!! Sorry. Yeah man, I'd vote for it - I'd definitely vote for it - Even this simple question confused me a bit I'me very much a noob.

Last edited by 1:00AM Project; 09-14-2019 at 09:17 PM.