Old 05-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
bblue
Human being with feelings

Default Perl ReaScript

What is the magic to get reascript working?

I have perl installed and use it with other projects no problem. It is the 64-bit version 5.10 from ActiveState. The FFI modules were missing so I added them as directed. Using a simple perl script called APITest.pl with just one line in it: RPR_APITest(); when run from the actions mgr, it does, but nothing prints to the screen. This is with Reaper x64, v3.51.

So I tried Reaper x32, v3.51 with perl 5.12 32 bit installed and the FFI modules added. Does exactly the same thing.

If I run APITest.pl from windows command line, it aborts with an unknown function error (expected) since the environment that Reaper provides it is missing. If I add 'use FFI;' to the script it gets further, but is stopped when FFI.dll is to be loaded claiming a non-compatible version. This happens in both perl versions.

I can't tell if the non-compatible version error is a red herring or not since I'm not sure of what environment Reaper is providing.

Any hints or suggestions? It should be simple, but ...

This is in Win 7 64.

--Bill
bblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
bblue

bump

Anyone?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
bblue

Further testing reveals this to [apparently] be a problem in 64-bit Reaper, or 64-bit Perl.

I've tried both ActiveState and Strawberry Perl, and with 32-bit Reaper, the 32-bit Strawberry Perl seems to work correctly. But nothing I try in 64-bit Reaper (either 32-bit Perl or either 64-bit Perl) works at all.

My test script simply prints its passed environment to a log file and doesn't even call a Reaper function. It either never gets executed, or is executed but hangs before it does anything, as no log file is created.

Here's the test script code:

my $mlog = "c:\\incoming\\APITest.log";
open(J, ">$mlog") || die "$0: $mlog: $!\n";
foreach( keys %ENV ) {
print (J "$_= $ENV{$_}\n");
}
exit 0;
RPR_APITest();

According to the command history in Reaper, subsequent runs of the test script don't show in it, just the first one.

So is it Reaper 64-bit or Perl that is broken, anyone know?

--Bill