Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
The Bagwhan
Human being with feelings

Default What are the best, most accurate Reaper meters?

I record and then use backing tracks as a solo musician when the gigs require it and because all my tracks have been created over several years, several computers and several DAW programs they're pretty inconsistent in their "sound", which isn't a bad thing really.

And a consistent volume gets tricky also, because of "perceived" volume or bass-heavy (bass guitar) mixes for example can sometimes trick compressors or limiters into too much gain reduction.

My best process for averaging out the tracks volume-wise is to simply listen to them and compare them, but even then my ears get tired and play tricks. So finally trusting a good set of meters helps.

Can anyone recommend a setting or plug-in in Reaper that will give me the best volume indicators? I'm talking about importing my backing tracks individually into a project, maybe ten at a time, for general comparison, so I mean a track meter, not a master meter. (or then again, soloing and checking the masters level would work, too...)

Cheers, Bag.
The Bagwhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bagwhan View Post
I record and then use backing tracks as a solo musician when the gigs require it and because all my tracks have been created over several years, several computers and several DAW programs they're pretty inconsistent in their "sound", which isn't a bad thing really.

And a consistent volume gets tricky also, because of "perceived" volume or bass-heavy (bass guitar) mixes for example can sometimes trick compressors or limiters into too much gain reduction.

My best process for averaging out the tracks volume-wise is to simply listen to them and compare them, but even then my ears get tired and play tricks. So finally trusting a good set of meters helps.

Can anyone recommend a setting or plug-in in Reaper that will give me the best volume indicators? I'm talking about importing my backing tracks individually into a project, maybe ten at a time, for general comparison, so I mean a track meter, not a master meter. (or then again, soloing and checking the masters level would work, too...)

Cheers, Bag.
Well, I am trusting REAPER's built in meters. Are you aware that the default setting for those is -12 dB (or something)? You can check by right-clicking...
Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
The Bagwhan

I suppose I should have asked... are the JS, Liteon or Stillwell meter plug-ins any better or perhaps do they have a neat trick up their sleeve?

I've just been experimenting and yes, the standard built-in meters look pretty good anyway. But meters can be a very subjective thing and you never know if someone can shed some more technical light on the question.

Cheers, Bag.
The Bagwhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

FreeG or psp vintage meter are neat
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Evan

There was an old discussion about how it would be beneficial to have RMS tracks meters (and merely an indicator for peak-clips).

RMS meters should be more indicative of the perceived loudness of a track. I don't recall how that discussion went, so I am raising this question in this thread.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
cerberus

js:schwa statistics.
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
camerondye

I think my favorite meter is actually the one on Izotope's Ozone but it's not free unfortunately.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
ngarjuna

I use a couple of different meters in addition to the REAPER ones:

Naiant Studios has a VU meter whose behavior reminds me an awful lot of the real VU meters I used to use. They're way too small, unfortunately, but when I want to read a VU meter on something, I find them to be very good (and the ballistics are tweakable). IMO much better than the PSP behavior (although it's usable too).

Blue Cat Audio Digital Peak Meter Pro is a basic meter that does peak/RMS/K- metering but is also skinnable (XML); I made a loudness skin that I can see easily across the room (there's actually a loudness only, peak only, loudness + peak skin).

ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
wwjd

Not that I know anything, but I have come to trust a combination that I have access to from PC to MAC platforms. Helps me SEE everything the same and I get commercial level sound out of it.

1. REAPER Meters setup how I want, showing peak RMS and peak overs - I think you right click to adjust

2. RNDigital INSPECTOR shows me the freq., rms, peak, and width (FREE)

3. SSL X-ISM intersample meters showing intersample issues and overages based on errors (FREE)

4. used to use DR Dynamic Range meter but now it's payware - which seems odd since it such a small, limited tool (Used to be free)

5. OZONE 4 meters on as the final, but I seem to rely on the previous meters more than the OZONE ones (PAYWARE)

If there are more accurate freebies out there for meters, I want to know too.
wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote