Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
swinginguitar
Human being with feelings

Default Laptop HDD

If this has already been discussed, please share link.

My laptop has a 1TB 5400RPM HDD. I'm considering a few upgrade options (i don't run a heinous number of tracks, but do use a lot of soft synths and samplers)

- would I be better off upgrading to a 7200RPM HDD or a solid state hybrid drive? Looks like most hybrids in that size range are 5400rpm unless you bump down under 750GB

- concerning hybrids, is having an 8GB NAND cache really of any use to us (as compared to, say, the Fusion drive which has 128GB flash IIRC)?

- most of what I read indicates that a good combo is to have a smaller SSD for OS and apps, then a larger HDD for samples etc. Makes sense, but if i installed a smaller SSD, then I would have an external drive to keep up with and probably also have to reinstall all of my apps since the libraries and support files would be moved off to a separate disk. (i don't think my laptop supports 2 HDDs internally...HP Envy 15-j006CL)

- as an extension to the previous question, if the system drive is internal and storage drive is external via USB3, are you really gaining anything versus a consolidated drive? (IOW, is USB capable of delivering enough throughput in parallel with the internal SATA data path)?
swinginguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
insub

Are you currently having problems with your HD? I would not mess with it if there's no problem.

Best bet is multiple internal hard drives if you can, but as your laptop only holds one I would go for the fastest hard drive you can install. I thought I read somewhere that there is not much advantage of SSD for streaming audio or that the improvement is not equivalent to the additional price. I could be way off on this though.

I personally would not go the external route, especially if you are using an USB interface. It may be ok if your HD is on the USB 3.0 controller and the interface is on the USB 2.0 controller. Still, not as reliable as SATA and it can be hard to get the HD cash size and other specs of externals sometimes.

I'm having zero problems with my 5400rpm internal HD on the laptop. But, I am not using any VSTi or samplers at all. Just audio projects with about 30 or less tracks.

Let's see if someone more knowledgeable jumps on here to confirm or correct me.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
insub

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginguitar View Post
but if i installed a smaller SSD, then I would have an external drive to keep up with and probably also have to reinstall all of my apps since the libraries and support files would be moved off to a separate disk. (i don't think my laptop supports 2 HDDs internally...HP Envy 15-j006CL)
If you replace your harddrive you will be reinstalling EVERYTHING...including your operating system. Unless you plan to use a backup utility to clone the drive in a way that preserves the OS. Kind of risky to me.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote