Old 11-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
lovelyzoo
Human being with feelings

Default What does "Glue Items" achieve?

I'm following Kenny's first MIDI song tutorial. At the point just linked he instructs the user to right click and 'Glue Items'. He then goes on to say "So now, if I trim this out, it's going to loop". He also says that by editing the first copy of the loop, the newly added notes will appear in the repetitions.

However, I find that I can do both of these (i.e. loop the MIDI item and edit its notes so that they affect subsequent iterations of the loop) to an item that has not been glued.

So, my question is, what does gluing actually do to the MIDI item?
lovelyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Coachz

It puts two midi items together so you can treat them as one. It works the same as with audio items making it easy to drag, them copy and paste them.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
lovelyzoo

Ok, thanks. But if the operation is being applied to a single item as it is in the video, then what is being glued together?
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
martifingers

Hi. My understanding is that GLUE creates a new file in the project so that , for example, if you trim a clip and then GLUE it then it will loop as trimmed if you see what I mean.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Hi. My understanding is that GLUE creates a new file in the project so that , for example, if you trim a clip and then GLUE it then it will loop as trimmed if you see what I mean.
Yip - normally if you resize an item you can still drag it back out to its original length; the information is hidden, but it is retained, so dragging it out restores the original file, and it won't loop (repeat itself) until it's dragged fully out to its end.

Whereas if you resize then Glue, the item is now permanently cropped; now dragging it out makes it immediately loop (repeat itself), and the part that was chopped off is lost.

In other words ... if you Resize an item, you are creating new temporary start or end points.

Whereas if you Glue a resized item, you are creating new permanent start or end points.

Hope that's clear
_

Also, a Copied MIDI item remains linked to the original - if you change a MIDI note in the copy it changes in the original (and vice versa).

Whereas when a MIDI item is copied and then Glued, the link is deleted, and altering one no longer affects the other.

There's probably more, but that's how I use it.
_

Last edited by viscofisy; 11-08-2018 at 05:11 PM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
morgon

Cropping via resizing and glueing items and followed up with Clean Current Project Directory can restore quite a bit of disk space by removing unneeded files permanently [or to Recycle bin]

Last edited by morgon; 11-08-2018 at 06:01 PM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
Goldreap

It also prints any item FX or item envelopes.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
lovelyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post

In other words ... if you Resize an item, you are creating new temporary start or end points.

Whereas if you Glue a resized item, you are creating new permanent start or end points.

_
This makes sense, sitting at my desk just before beginning my working day. I'll have a play around with this when I next get back to my studio (i.e. bedroom).

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
It also prints any item FX or item envelopes.
Does it? F*ck me. you learn something new every day!

It also works with MIDI or audio, just drag a marquee moon around two or more items.

If I import an item via the media explorer, (tempo matched), I always then glue it - if I'm going to drag it out and extend it.

Also if I cut or trim a larger item (MIDI or audio), I can always then glue, it's destructive. You can't pull the item back out again.

+1 clean current dir

Last edited by FKAB; 11-09-2018 at 06:07 AM.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #10
FKAB

Sorry brief derail, I was watching a Rick Beato video a year or two ago, he was using Pro Tools to demonstrate something and he used a "Spot EQ" on an Item which I thought would be handy for Reaper but I stayed shtumm about it.

"Glue" does the same thing? Coolio.

edit/ Wow, that's awesome. I just rendered a clean short drum track and dropped mr elwood's DynEq and glued. How does that work then? Does that save me a heap of processing power or is the plugin still in memory?

Last edited by FKAB; 11-09-2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: test
Old 11-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
smueske

Glue is your friend. I use it all the time once I know how long an item is. You can create a one bar pattern, for example, glue and pull it out to four bars, then create another, and do the same. Then you can glue the two parts together and have an 8-bar clip. You can split, edit, and glue back together. Create variations, etc. There are far more uses, but that is one quick example. Very quick and intuitive.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #12
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAB View Post
Sorry brief derail, I was watching a Rick Beato video a year or two ago, he was using Pro Tools to demonstrate something and he used a "Spot EQ" on an Item which I thought would be handy for Reaper but I stayed shtumm about it.

"Glue" does the same thing? Coolio.

edit/ Wow, that's awesome. I just rendered a clean short drum track and dropped mr elwood's DynEq and glued. How does that work then? Does that save me a heap of processing power or is the plugin still in memory?
I believe the plugin is no longer loaded and not using RAM. You can undo the glue but I would say when you do that the plugin is re-loaded. And yes, after glue you're saving processing power but say for just a basic EQ that wouldn't be much..although these things can add up. Apart from all that it's nice to de-clutter. "Spot EQ"...good name...quickly fix, brush off, move on.

Last edited by Goldreap; 11-09-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
FKAB

That's interesting.

I dropped a VST synth and Channel Strip onto a MIDI item and Glued. It renders to Audio and puts the Instruments and FX away.

Nice
Old 11-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
Kenny Gioia

Sorry for the late reply.

As others have said, I like to use glue on MIDI to clearly define the in and out points for looping. If I recorded and went a bit too late, that's where the looping would occur. So making it exactly 2 or 4 bars and gluing insures that it will loop correctly.

Another thing I do these days is to define the item first, and then record into it. This way you can skip gluing.

Thanks

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 11-19-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #15
pjd3

Default Glue instead of stretch sometimes

Last night when adjusting the lengths of non-tempoed melody parts, instead of using stretch markers I would find parts of the melodies that had areas of consistently sustained notes, make a time selection on the sustained parts and "make splits at time selection. Then, I would make a few copies of the new time selected item. Then it was just matter of adjusting thier overlap allowing the default crossfades to blend them. It was kind of fun and worked really well. If you find those small sections that have little modulation you can make a seamless sustain, shorter or longer and never have to deal with any potential time stretch issues. Then, just highlight all the split portions and "Glue". Very a nice-ah.
pjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote