Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-04-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
windplayer
Human being with feelings

Default Solved: Midi "program-change" with Expression pedal

I have a softsynth which has a program change-option (within 128 instruments) only in the stand-alone mode, but not in the plugin-mode in Reaper.
But is is possible to change the "program" with the automation in Reaper.

I want to control the instrument program by a midi pedal (Line6 fbV3), but it is not easy to control changes of instrument with the expression pedal (Try to hit value 19 to choose the depending instrument... ;-)). The Line6 fbv also have switches (sending Toggle, Single, Momentary), but the Automation does not react to this (in the way I want it to). Do you have another idea to control the instrument-changes? I listed the 128 Softsynth-instruments at the program list with numbers and only want to change between the first 12.
In Reaper, you can change the scale of the automation, so the expression-pedal only changes between the first 12 instruments of the softsynth, but it nevertheless is not easy to have the pedal at a certain CC-value to have the right instrument. It would be easier to step up and down between the first 12 instruments one by one.
Is there perhaps a possibility to control this with the expression pedal? (For exemple: Pedal up -> Value 128 -> One instrument up; pedal down -> Value 0 -> one instrument down). If you have an idea, how to do this in Reaper - with the expression pedal or the switches of the Line6-pedal, this would be nice...

Last edited by windplayer; 10-06-2019 at 12:38 AM.
windplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
mschnell

As you already found the automation parameter in the parameter list of the plugin, you can use

[Param] -> FX Parameter List -> Parameter modulation/Midi link -> (the appropriate parameter) and assign the parameter to a CC message by
-> check [x] "Link from Midi or FX Param" -> [none] -> Midi -> CC the CC your pedal sends.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:29 AM   #3
windplayer

That is exactly the way I did it.
But then, you have problem decribed above.
Is it possible to "remap" or "change" the midi-automation with the expression pedal so you only walk through the (first) 12 favorite instruments one by one?

With the actual Reaper-automation, I have this...

Values Instrument...
0 -> +/- 10 -> Synth instrument 1
+/- 11 -> +/-20 instrument 2
+/- 120 -> 128 -> instrument 3

It is not easy to control that exactly.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
mschnell

The plugin ReaPack -> "Midi Convert to CC" or ReaPack -> "Midi CC Mapper X" can scale the CC value. (See the descriptions in the ReaPack database.)

-Michael
Old 10-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
private message:
Line 6 Pedal sends e.g.:
CC102: Single: B0 Data 1: 66, Data 2: 7F

needed:
- button 1 dec preset #
- button 2 reset to predefined preset #
Makes a lot more sense than using the expression pedal in some odd way.

That should be easily doable by a JSFX plugin.
I suppose the Respire can directly receive Program change Midi messages, so the workaround by Midi CC and VST parameter should not be necessary. Correct ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-05-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
windplayer

No, it has not. See above...
„I have a softsynth which has a program change-option (within 128 instruments) only in the stand-alone mode, but not in the plugin-mode in Reaper.“
Old 10-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
mschnell

This is rather odd, but OK, so the plugin should output appropriate Midi messages, and the [Param] ... way can be used to control the plugin via DAW parameter automation. No problem. (Seemingly Respiro is a VST3 - and not a VST2. The original VST3 specification did not allow for Midi CC or Program Change receive, Steinberg only added this at a later point in time. Maybe you might want to notify the programmer of the plugin about this.)

I once did a "Song patch stepping" JSFX that does what you seem to want to have in a much more sophisticated way (you can do a two level programming of the intended stepping sequence). I made this for a friend of mine who uses it with Reaper and his wind controllers. A description is here -> http://www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf .

I anyway planned to enhance same to be able to be controlled via Midi switches, but I never did so, as I don't own or have use for such switches (yet), nor the said friend has, who is happily using the computer keyboard for this purpose.

Do prefer a simple plugin that just does what you describe, or do you think it makes sense to have the enhanced "Patch and Transpose Plugin" in a Midi controllable version ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-06-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
windplayer

After you wrote, the synth should work with Midi-Program-Change, I tried it.
And yes, you were right. It works.

Sorry, I did not try that because the developer wrote, Program Change worked only in Standalone-mode.

So... Problem is solved!
Thanks for your help!
Now, I program my midi pedal, so it changes from program 16 to 32, 64 and so on, so that the corresponding programs are those, I want to use. After some clicks with the pedal, I am at Number 1 again.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #9
mschnell

Great !
Feel free to write, if you need advanced functionality by a JSFX.(Maybe best in the "Live" subforum...)

BTW.: "Respiro" looks very impressive. As I everyday use the TEC BBC Breath controller with a normal keyboard (and multiple "virtual natural instruments") , and a Seaboard Rise 49 for the same purpose, I might be interested in learning more about Respiro.

-Michael
Old 01-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
Dave 2099

Michael, I am attempting to do something similar (I think it's a similar problem).

I have a wah plugin mapped to an expression pedal, no problem there.

I would like to use the same pedal to toggle the wah plugin on/off. E.g., cc1=off, cc127=on.

It seems like this is possible with your ReaPack midi cc mapper, but I don't understand how it works. Is it possible to do what I want it to do?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for being so generous with your assistance in general.

cheers,
Dave
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #11
mschnell

Midi CC Mapper is not by me.

But it seems to have a decent description (ReaPack About), that should help to make it work for you.

My ReaPack -> Midi Convert To CC also might help.

-Michael
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
Dave 2099

Thanks, I forgot there were descriptions in ReaPack. I'll try both those plugins.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Dave 2099

Ok, I've been experimenting with Midi Convert to CC (MCCC). But I'm not confident I have a grasp on how Reaper handles midi signals, so any advice would be appreciated.

My goal is to toggle the bypass switch on the destination plug-in, but I'm not seeing any effect on the latter (aside from when I move the parameter modulation baseline slider in the Parameter Modulation/Link window).

I am sending midi data from the track that contains MCCC using routing through a midi bus. Then I have the destination track FX parameter set to that midi bus/channel (1/1) to receive the midi signal from MCCC.

Do I need to use multiple instances of MCCC to send two different midi signals in order to toggle the FX parameter, one to turn bypass on and the other to turn it off?

Last edited by Dave 2099; 01-10-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
mschnell

The Bypass switch is an additional Parameter Reaper adds to any plugin (same with Wet). To access it by Midi you do [Param] -> FX-Parameter-List -> Parameter Modulation/Midi Link -> Bypass -> Link from Midi ....
I suppose you can set the "Link From Midi" Parameters so that a value of < 64 switches off and a value of >64 switches on (but any other values should be settable as well). SDo you'll need (at most) one instance.
-Michael
Old 01-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #15
Dave 2099

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have tried the Midi Learn as (I think) you are suggesting. What I was originally trying to do is toggle the FX bypass parameter using specific CC note values from my expression pedal, such that values closer to 0 (say <10) would toggle the wah FX off, and values above that value (the bulk of the wah range) would keep the wah FX on. I tried the Midi Learn -> Mode option of "127=-1, 1=+1" but haven't been able to do what I want with that approach. (Hopefully that would work if I found the right option to turn on/off?)

After experimenting I have found that a solution may be found in being able to alternate between Note On and Note off in the same CC signal. I am able to send a midi signal using ReaRack2 Audio->Midi, which turns the target FX on when any signal is sent, and turns the target FX off when the signal is stopped, which suggests I need something that can send alternating Note On and Note Off signals. I have not been able to find such a filter in ReaPack or among the plugins I already have.

Is this a fruitful approach?

Or can I do something that lets me use Midi Learn (127+-1, 1=+1)?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #16
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 2099 View Post
I have tried the Midi Learn as (I think) you are suggesting.
No !
I never mentioned Learn, as same takes messages from the Reaper Control Path and not Midi from the track. Unfortunately there always is a severe misconception about "Learn". It's "Learn" (a Reaper Control Path Message) and not "Midi Learn" as some erroneously say. It has nothing (directly) to do with Midi. If the origin of the learned message is Midi, there had been some other instance that converted a Midi message in a Reaper Control Path message.

As I very clearly said, to take Midi events form the Track you need to do [Param] -> FX-Parameter-List -> Parameter Modulation/Midi Link ...
(I don't see how you could just ignore that, so case closed.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-11-2020 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #17
Dave 2099

Wow. Ok. Please forgive my inferior intellect. I won't trouble you again.

And for the record, I also tried Parameter Modulation/Midi Link, and that did not work.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #18
mschnell

Quote:
I also tried Parameter Modulation/Midi Link, and that did not work.
(... Seeming communication confusion...)

Other than "Leran" it in fact should work if the details are set correctly. I use it all the time.

-Michael
Old 06-05-2021, 01:30 AM   #19
mihaim

Quote:
Michael, I am attempting to do something similar (I think it's a similar problem).

I have a wah plugin mapped to an expression pedal, no problem there.

I would like to use the same pedal to toggle the wah plugin on/off. E.g., cc1=off, cc127=on.

It seems like this is possible with your ReaPack midi cc mapper, but I don't understand how it works. Is it possible to do what I want it to do?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for being so generous with your assistance in general.

cheers,
Dave
Hey Dave, I've solved this in a very simple way. Check here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...63&postcount=5
mihaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #20
Dave 2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaim View Post
Hey Dave, I've solved this in a very simple way. Check here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...63&postcount=5
Thanks for the feedback, Mihaim. I gave up on ReaControlMIDI and solved the problem by creating a JS plugin with dummy switches and sliders in a way that I think does something similar. The bonus of using the dummy JS plugin in was that I could save it and the mapped expression control effects as a track template and drop it in when needed without having to remap the linkages.