Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #361
Xasman
Human being with feelings

Note and rest placements are looking MUCH better in 5.20pre8 (i.e. bugs 31 and 32 have been fixed) - thanks for your hard work, Schwa.

Some refinements still needed:

1. Clefs: These are squashed up to the leftmost barline - there should be a small space between the barline and the clef.

2. Key signatures: accidentals should not touch or collide.

Here's a visual comparison to illustrate:

MuseScore (v2.0.2):

Reaper (v5.2pre8):

Last edited by Xasman; 01-14-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #362
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
@pccartwright

These FRs have now been implemented: #23, #25, #33

FR #7 and FR #27 are essentially the same I think - it's the second #27 btw (I just realised there's an error in the numbering)
woops. fixed.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #363
Xasman

Issues with dynamics positioning:

1. Dynamics should default to being centered below the note to which they are attached (at present, they are left-aligned by default to a point below the centre of the note - effectively making the dynamic position slightly to the right of the note). Dynamic markings can appear to the left but no dynamic marking should ever appear to the right of the note to which it applies (because the performer needs to see, and take note of, the dynamic marking *before* playing the note).

2. Free dynamic positioning helps, but it's fiddly to centre dynamics this way. Most importantly though, it seems currently impossible to position a dynamic marking to the left of the default position in the first note in a bar, e.g.:

Last edited by Xasman; 01-14-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #364
pcartwright

I haven't tried moving dynamics left-right yet. Do they respond to grid snap? That would be the ideal state as a note could have multiple dynamics (whole note cresc from piano to forte, etc.).
Old 02-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #365
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
I haven't tried moving dynamics left-right yet. Do they respond to grid snap? That would be the ideal state as a note could have multiple dynamics (whole note cresc from piano to forte, etc.).
Yes, dynamics snap to grid by default - shift+drag overrides. Either way though, it's not currently possible to drag further left than the first snap point in the bar. Come to think of it, an option to change alignment of the dynamic markings would be useful...

e.g. where | is the snap point (i.e. the point on the dynamic marking which snaps to the grid):

either

|pp (left-aligned - current and least useful)

or

p|p (centre-aligned - should probably be default)

or

pp| (right-aligned - also useful)

In fact, we probably need only the centre- and right-aligned modes...

Last edited by Xasman; 02-22-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:15 AM   #366
hamish

True, dynamic markings should be able to be moved left of the first grid line.

ALSO - Can we have play cursor and edit cursor separate, as in the piano roll editor?

Currently edit cursor position can't be set by mouse click without causing the play cursor to jump to that position.

Will this come with some Notation editor mouse modifiers?

I can set edit position during playback via certain actions that I have mapped, but this issue (of unwanted seeking) bugged me for years in the piano editor before some other people made enough noise about it.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 AM   #367
Xasman

Default Feature request

Flip Stems (up or down): Since stem direction sometimes depends on context, the ability to flip stems (as per the "x" command in MuseScore) and tuplet markings/brakets manually, *regardless* of voice or MIDI channel would be very useful.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #368
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Will Reaper have notation for drum kits? That would be awesome!
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #369
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiroDotCom View Post
Will Reaper have notation for drum kits? That would be awesome!

Please offer up any suggestions for percussion notation.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #370
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We should be able to choose the symbol for each notehead, rather than changing the note shape globally per notation editor instance. We should also be able to have drum maps that convert standard drum notation to actual MIDI notes that are supposed to be played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_notation

Ideally the drum map would contain both the MIDI note to notation position correlation as well as the notehead type for each entry.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-22-2016 at 06:07 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #371
ReaDim

Default Staff Folder FR

Hello!
Please add an option to display more than one track on one musical staff!

It would be natural to locate the control of it in the Track List area. A button "Media items on this track are (not) listed" is not used for the notation editor - so let it work similar with folders in the track panel in three positions:
1 This is first track in a staff folder (down arrow)
2 This track is not in staff folder (right arrow)
3 This is last track in a staff folder (up arrow)

Let this tool be an option for the voice separation as well.

Please! I could not find this feature in any daw. But I need it so very much especially for my huge orchestra scores.

Thanks!
Dmitriy
ReaDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #372
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We should be able to choose the symbol for each notehead, rather than changing the note shape globally per notation editor instance. We should also be able to have drum maps that convert standard drum notation to actual MIDI notes that are supposed to be played.

Ideally the drum map would contain both the MIDI note to notation position correlation as well as the notehead type for each entry.

Following-on from what ED has said, I think we need to start a percussion-notation guide thread or document here in the forum as percussion notation is different to melodic notation. We can provide sensible ideas and information from, and using this, that will help Schwa write a decent percussion mapping editor. There seem to be plenty of notation users here to home in on a manual of "good practice" and notation explanation.

Ultimately this guide and some percussion mapping presets should help any user display their drum/percussion MIDI as dots. Maybe the guide can be accessed through the Action list or help menu, and/or downloaded as PDF or similar at a later, more mature stage in the notation editor's development.

Essentially, the mapping should consist of note to line and note-head rows, but some (eg Hi-hat trigger notes) need to consider CC values to determine the notes' dot status. I'm not enough of an expert here to contribute on other "notation punctuation" and how might relate to percussion MIDI, but I'm sure other users will add to the picture.

Edit: I hadn't considered what MM&U has added, with drum rudiments and their shorthand symbold. Perhaps the guide might be more of a good idea, as many users who might be use normal notation would not be so familiar with the convention for drums. That wiki page is certinly a good start!

>

Last edited by planetnine; 02-22-2016 at 08:27 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #373
memyselfandus

The one alteration we will have to look at pertaining to the notation view being locked to the midi editor is Percussion Notation. It should line up with GM General Midi.

Otherwise when you put the notes in the notation view it won't trigger anything. It need to trigger the appropriate notes. Addictive drums and too track have settings for GM.

This link between the notes on the percussion line and the GM is VERY important.

http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManua...ussionMaps.htm
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #374
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
The one alteration we will have to look at pertaining to the notation view being locked to the midi editor is Percussion Notation. It should line up with GM General Midi.

Otherwise when you put the notes in the notation view it won't trigger anything. It need to trigger the appropriate notes. Addictive drums and too track have settings for GM.

This link between the notes on the percussion line and the GM is VERY important.
It should be customisable because not all drum sample libraries follow the GM standard, and the GM standard is limited
Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #375
memyselfandus

GM General MIDI Map

https://i.imgur.com/iuzS2Rt.jpg

Orchestral Percusion GM Map

https://i.imgur.com/4GU0laQ.jpg

Matching Percusion GM Map

https://i.imgur.com/eX18ewO.jpg
Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #376
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
It should be customisable because not all drum sample libraries follow the GM standard, and the GM standard is limited
Agreed. Loading customized note names text file could determine what notes are triggered in percussion view? No idea how. Hopefully GM and note names file by default option in prefs.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #377
memyselfandus

Being able to paste in all the standard rudiments and flam stuff would be killer!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #378
DarkStar

Quote:

http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManua...ussionMaps.htm
That GM table is more than the standard GM list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ardDrumMap.gif

[Hmm, that GM gif was, I think, one I did some time ago, complete with one of my typos.]
Old 02-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #379
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That GM table is more than the standard GM list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ardDrumMap.gif

[Hmm, that GM gif was, I think, one I did some time ago, complete with one of my typos.]
Cool!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #380
kerryg

Quote:
Heya Schwa - this is the resources page for the 4th year seminar I'm taking right now on MIDI drums and percussion. The links are worth checking out.

https://drumperc.wordpress.com/resources/

The "broad brush strokes" outline is that for drumkit, instruments played by the foot (kick, foot-closed hi hat) are notated/beamed stems down, instruments played by the hand are notated/beamed stems up (there are some exceptions when this would decrease clarity rather than increase it). It's a two-voice system (foot/hand) and both voices should make musical sense and be musically complete when viewed separately. "Shell" drums like toms and kick are notated with regular note heads; cymbals are notated with other note heads as indicated etc.

Last edited by kerryg; 02-22-2016 at 01:46 PM.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #381
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Heya Schwa - this is the resources page for the 4th year seminar I'm taking right now on MIDI drums and percussion. The links are worth checking out.

https://drumperc.wordpress.com/resources/

The "broad brush strokes" outline is that instruments played by the foot (kick, foot-closed hi hat) are notated/beamed stems down, instruments played by the hand are notated/beamed stems up (there are some exceptions when this would decrease clarity rather than increase it). It's a two-voice system (foot/hand) and both voices should make musical sense and be musically complete when viewed separately. "Shell" drums like toms and kick are notated with regular note heads; cymbals are notated with other note heads as indicated etc.
Nice!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #382
memyselfandus

Single line percussion or staff line PLEASE

With rhythm slash option too

For rhythms!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #383
kerryg

Quote:
Single line percussion or staff line PLEASE

With rhythm slash option too

For rhythms!
Slash notation will be particularly important once chord name events are implemented. Sibelius handles this by letting you insert slash heads on notes (with and without beams); Logic handles this by allowing you to convert rests to slashes (a bit less controllable).
Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #384
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Quote:

What ED said!!!!
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #385
IXix

Quote:

Spot on. We need to map note-numbers individually to both staff line and note-head symbol. Slash notation and repeat marks are also important if they can be implemented.

If you can, get a copy of the book mentioned in the wikipedia link - Norman Weinberg’s Guide To Standardized Drumset Notation (2002, ISBN 0-9664928-1-1).). That's the bible, not universally accepted but it's the closest thing we have to a standard.

If REAPER could do decent drum notation that would be awesome.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #386
vitalker

Reaper 5 pre8 32bit, Windows 7 64bit. The same bug:
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #387
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Spot on. We need to map note-numbers individually to both staff line and note-head symbol. Slash notation and repeat marks are also important if they can be implemented.

If you can, get a copy of the book mentioned in the wikipedia link - Norman Weinberg’s Guide To Standardized Drumset Notation (2002, ISBN 0-9664928-1-1).). That's the bible, not universally accepted but it's the closest thing we have to a standard.

If REAPER could do decent drum notation that would be awesome.
Indeed. If that's too much or too late, then at least for drum kit, in the course outline link above there's a pretty comprehensive 13-page PDF and a short form drum key here that are pretty in line with authorities like the Percussive Arts Society.
https://drumperc.files.wordpress.com...itkeynt091.pdf
https://drumperc.files.wordpress.com.../notation1.pdf
Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #388
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Reaper 5 pre8 32bit, Windows 7 64bit. The same bug:
It's not a bug that you can edit notes to be very far away from their staff, the bug would be if you can drag the note to somewhere that you can no longer grab it with the mouse.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #389
vitalker

Quote:
It's not a bug that you can edit notes to be very far away from their staff, the bug would be if you can drag the note to somewhere that you can no longer grab it with the mouse.
Nope. Is it normal that notes aren't in the same bar, but you see it like they are on the same?
Old 02-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #390
pcartwright

You're saying it's an issue of staff spacing/collision?
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #391
schwa
Administrator

We'll eventually add an octave notation to handle this, but for now, notes will be displayed even if they are very far from their staff, even if this means they are drawn over a different staff. The alternative would be to hide these notes, which wouldn't be good, at least as a default. Far-away notes can exist in the MIDI (recorded, edited elsewhere, etc) so you need to be able to edit them in the notation editor, at least by default.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #392
hamish

Well thanks for giving us the option to hide 'far from staff notes' anyway. It is very much appreciated!

When using ie VSL strings in the Kontakt 5 Library, and there are 4-5 keyswitches per instrument, you absolutely definitely do not want these shown on the notation.

Currently however for me to write a standard classical guitar part on one clef (treble -8) with Spicy VSTi the notation editor is not up to it, because the part can have 3 ledger lines and the hide action is set to two ledger lines. And spicy has some articulations that are keyswitched.

Last edited by hamish; 02-22-2016 at 03:50 PM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #393
vitalker

Quote:
at least by default.
Ok, understand. Thank you. Btw, the bug with notes above the staff is still here
Old 02-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #394
bijaganita

Default Request: staff input method

Hello,

As for notation editor, Cakewalk sonar adopts a sort of filtering method, that is, one can usually drag & input staff notes diatonically. If you want input accidentals, you should drag staff while pushing right button. I think this method is very smart.
bijaganita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #395
memyselfandus

Rhythm slashes

These

And these
Old 02-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #396
memyselfandus

Custom symbols like this in notation or piano roll view would be incredible. Users could just add anything.

https://i.imgur.com/7zmG6Xs.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.3 KB, 262 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #397
ReaDim

Default a track is inside the staff folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDim View Post
It would be natural to locate the control of it in the Track List area. A button "Media items on this track are (not) listed" is not used for the notation editor - so let it work similar with folders in the track panel in three positions:
1 This is first track in a staff folder (down arrow)
2 This track is not in staff folder (right arrow)
3 This is last track in a staff folder (up arrow)
I forgot to mention one more arrow position when a track is inside the staff folder (maybe an empty checkbox)
Thanks!
ReaDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #398
daniel88v8

Guitar tab would be great
daniel88v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #399
krahosk

Quote:
Rhythm slashes

These

And these

+1 and with chords! :-)
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #400
ivansc

Quote:
Rhythm slashes

These

And these

YESYESYESYESYES Y E S!!!!! Essential IMO

In my dreams we could also have the staircase symbol and diamonds?
(for the Nashville numbers system)